September 3rd, 2008

Hot mic catches GOP strategists trashing Palin pick

McCain greeted Palin Wednesday.
McCain greeted Palin Wednesday.

(CNN) – Prominent Republican analysts Peggy Noonan and Mike Murphy became the latest victims of an open microphone Wednesday, caught after a segment on MSNBC trashing John McCain's pick of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Noonan, a Wall Street Journal columnist and former speechwriter for Ronald Reagan, and Murphy, a campaign strategist and onetime aide to John McCain, can both be heard expressing disbelief with the pick of Palin after they apparently thought they were in a commercial break.

“I come out of the blue swing-state governor world, Engler, Whitman, Thompson, Mitt Romney,” Murphy said during the mishap which has since been posted on YouTube. Murphy later flatly says of the pick, "It's not going to work."

Noonan is heard going even further, saying of the presidential race, "It's over."

"I think they went for this - excuse me– political bulls–t about narratives," Noonan also said. "Every time the Republicans do that, because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at, they blow it."

Murphy, who was a senior adviser to John McCain's 2000 presidential bid, also adds, "You know what's really the worst thing about it? The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and this is cynical."

UPDATE: Writing on the Wall Street Journal Web site, Noonan apologizes for using profanity and says she was not claiming McCain's campaign was "over."

"In our off-air conversation, I got on the subject of the leaders of the Republican party assuming, now, that whatever the base of the Republican party thinks is what America thinks. I made the case that this is no longer true, that party leaders seem to me stuck in the assumptions of 1988 and 1994, the assumptions that reigned when they were young and coming up," she writes.  "The first lesson they learned is the one they remember," I said to [MSNBC's Chuck] Todd - and I'm pretty certain that is a direct quote. But, I argued, that's over, those assumptions are yesterday, the party can no longer assume that its base is utterly in line with the thinking of the American people. And when I said, "It's over!" - and I said it more than once - that is what I was referring to."

1. scritti

I really do like mcCain – but it's a shame about that palin woman.

September 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  2. MikeH

Already said by another, CNN was slow to pick this up, even after it was posted on youtube. I would've liked to hear the debate within the CNN meeting room when the Republican operatives tried to derail posting this article on the Ticker. Truth and accuracy won out, way to go CNN, you may yet redeem yourself when Obama wins and launches an overhaul of the FCC to eliminate propaganda broadcasters like FOX SPEWS.

September 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  3. fdaddy57

McCain + Obama = two losers. I think I'll sit this one out.

September 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  4. Antithesis of Sarah Palin

Sarah Palin is a hypocrite. Doesn't she promote family values and abstinance only? How is this woman going to be successful in the highest office if she can't even make her policy plans work in her own FAMILY! She is despicable and a disgrace to women. The Republicans should be ashamed. By the way, if she cares so much about family values- why is she abandoning her FOUR MONTH OLD DISABLED child to follow her career. Selfish, hypocritical, thoughtless. She is a disgrace to mothers and women. Case Closed.

September 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  5. Candace, Cambridge, MA

The truth is out!!!! It's Over!

September 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  6. Gorbashov - Long Beach, Ca.

He has castrated his campaign with this obvious cynical choice.

GAME OVER!

September 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  7. Republican for Obama

Truth shall set you free Murphy and Noonan. ITS OVER!

McCain has proved he's a pandering hands-off, eyes-off, ears-off kind of leader with questionable judgment. ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  8. charles h.

Even their own party members realize this entire campaign is a joke. McSame – Country First – right.

He EXPOSES my children to attack with this VP pick.

September 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  9. kentucky repuplicans

vote for miss alaska!!!!!

god help us!!! i cant believe this...
    i wonder what will drop out the hat next week!!!!!

September 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  10. Tara

That is laugh-out-loud funny!! It's good to know that these talking heads don't really believe the spin they keep trying to force on us.

September 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  11. White older evangelical woman from the south for OBAMA

IT ON YOUTUBE AND HUFFINGTON POST.

NOW NO ONE CAN BLAME THE MEDIA.

FINALLY THEY ADMIT

September 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  12. RCLGuard

What beauty. What justification. This is too juicy for words. Keep going McCain. Keep'em coming. One blunder after another. Oh yes, McCain/Palin will make history...as the worst ticket to ever come out of the Republican right. This is a great day for all.

Obama/Biden 08/12

September 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  13. Obama Supporter!

I didn't believe for one minute that all republicans were just delighted with this off the wall pick!

Obama/Biden 08!

September 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  14. JP

Given enough time, the truth reveals itself as it has revealed about Mr. McCain's campaign. Sarah Palin's pick in a rushed judgment clearly shows how Mr. McCain, given the opportunity, will steer the country.

September 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  15. CO

Those two aren't the only two-faced Republicans. Many are saying the same in private.

September 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  16. Willa PA

OMG...its over?...could be used in an add maybe...Mitt R is a low life going to attack Michelle, hypocrites, can't say that word enough somehow. Is all I can think of when looking at a Consevitive Republican...

September 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  17. Joan McArthur

I didn't believe Noonan would ever stoop to do 'cat talk'. She fell off her pedestal for me!

September 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  18. Kevin

That goes to show how terrible a choice Palin is. She has very little experience and has extreme views. She believes in abstinence for teens and is against sex ed in schools which clearly did not work even for her own daughter.

September 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  19. Kerry Chapman

Media: Political commentators such as Rollin Martin and all the others
    tend to forget. Substance: is EXPERIENCE. Substance: is Ive done
    that. OBAMA has done none of that. BLUE SUIT or not SHE is a woman thats been there and done that.

September 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  20. Steve, New York, New York

I am afraid that the Republican commentators are correct.

I am curious as to whether the head of McCain's VP search committee will eventually emerge as a hidden Obama supporter.

September 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  21. jnkekoa

Even such candid admissions will not necessarily save us from the 51% of the country who are simply idiots.

September 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  22. pam Eugene OR

LOL
    That is too funny. You made my day and I love it. I can hear Barack's new ad now!
    Thanks folks that was great!!!!!!
    Two can play hide the mike.
    Obama/Biden

September 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  23. Jerome

Republican stragist/analyst finally caught lying through their teeth. Then put on a brave face and smile to convince us they are telling the truth. I see this all the time on CNN with spoke persons for the Republican party. They are bigger liers then the actual politians.

September 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  24. redneck for obama

that gotta hurt! omg!

September 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  25. rodney

what an unfortunate incident, at least they told the truth,
    OBAMA'08