September 3rd, 2008

Hot mic catches GOP strategists trashing Palin pick

McCain greeted Palin Wednesday.
McCain greeted Palin Wednesday.

(CNN) – Prominent Republican analysts Peggy Noonan and Mike Murphy became the latest victims of an open microphone Wednesday, caught after a segment on MSNBC trashing John McCain's pick of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Noonan, a Wall Street Journal columnist and former speechwriter for Ronald Reagan, and Murphy, a campaign strategist and onetime aide to John McCain, can both be heard expressing disbelief with the pick of Palin after they apparently thought they were in a commercial break.

“I come out of the blue swing-state governor world, Engler, Whitman, Thompson, Mitt Romney,” Murphy said during the mishap which has since been posted on YouTube. Murphy later flatly says of the pick, "It's not going to work."

Noonan is heard going even further, saying of the presidential race, "It's over."

"I think they went for this - excuse me– political bulls–t about narratives," Noonan also said. "Every time the Republicans do that, because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at, they blow it."

Murphy, who was a senior adviser to John McCain's 2000 presidential bid, also adds, "You know what's really the worst thing about it? The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and this is cynical."

UPDATE: Writing on the Wall Street Journal Web site, Noonan apologizes for using profanity and says she was not claiming McCain's campaign was "over."

"In our off-air conversation, I got on the subject of the leaders of the Republican party assuming, now, that whatever the base of the Republican party thinks is what America thinks. I made the case that this is no longer true, that party leaders seem to me stuck in the assumptions of 1988 and 1994, the assumptions that reigned when they were young and coming up," she writes.  "The first lesson they learned is the one they remember," I said to [MSNBC's Chuck] Todd - and I'm pretty certain that is a direct quote. But, I argued, that's over, those assumptions are yesterday, the party can no longer assume that its base is utterly in line with the thinking of the American people. And when I said, "It's over!" - and I said it more than once - that is what I was referring to."

1. KEFA

N thats what they really mean...its over!

September 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  2. Even Steven

This whole situation is really getting richer by the day. Is this part of the "faux news scandal" too?

Makes me want to celebrate by donating another $50 to Obama/Biden

September 3, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  3. Cheryl

You can't help but love those microphones.....

4. Lee Jackson

rofl.... McCain is using her just like he did his wives.

5. Gerry in Virginia

Since McCain was forced into the Palin choice by his "advisors" , who are of course (advised) by KARL ROVE AND GEORGE BUSH, should the Republican old guard hold him (McCain) responsible for this horrible situation? Why couldn't he have had HIS choice for VP? Does that mean that BUSH is still calling the shots ? Of course it does. It must be a heartbreaking situation for McCain to have sold his soul to Bush/Rove to get the nomination only to have any choice in how to be the President taken away by Bush and Rove.. No wonder this Republican convention is falling apart right before our eyes....

6. Mikey B

McCain will soon be working at McDonald's if he's lucky. Bye bye old man!!

7. Jason

All of you brain washed Obama lovers need to sit back and really think before you say anything about Palin's experiance. She has more experiance, than McCain and Obama combined on the executinve level, and I garauntee she would make a better VP than your holier than thou rock and roll star would make as a president.

8. Jan Illinois

If they all really think this way, Why don't they try to save their party?

9. pete

"it is over"

ain't it precious... :)

10. josef

This is not news. It;s two people speaking candidly. Read Noonan's articles and wait until the speech tonight.. It's easy to see that even CNN is afraid of Noonan now that the baby thing is blowing up in their faces.

11. Paula from Canada..

I love this! LMAO! I wish they had the guts to say it on air.. LIVE Palin is one big disaster.. McCain looks like the idiot he is. No judgement, he deserves her.

12. Kris K in CA

Palin is a huge mistake. In over her head. McCain made a huge mistake with this woman. There is no way the American voting public can stomach this pair of nitwits.
    As a working woman who raised three professional children alone with the help of my mother this woman is a failure as a parent. Her decision making skills are limited.I am not allowing my vote to be wasted on McCain/Palin.

13. Naomi

Wow if your only party is saying that it is a bad mistake, then hang it up McCain.

14. returntocommonsense

I only have one thing to say – OUCH!

15. C!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

OBAMA/BIDEN `08!!

September 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  16. JD

I just love it when people cite Obama's college days as proof that he's qualified to be President. These are the same people who didn't think Clarence Thomas was qualified to be a Supreme Court justice, even though his academic credentials clearly show that Obama is nothing but a lightweight empty suit.

September 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  17. Mark

It's a good thing Jesse Jackson wasn't there!!!

September 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  18. kendall

truth hurts, Almost everyone in America said the same thing, I was hoping to see biden and Romney go at it with Barrack and McCain battling it out, but now McCain had to throw in the towel with a dumb mistake

September 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  19. doreen

How can a new mother of a 3 month old downe syndrome baby
    be ready at the drop of a hat to take over as President should
    anything happen to McCain. Is she not breast feeding????
    Also she is preparing to be a grandmother to her 17 year old childs
    child and a wedding!!! I don't like it. She may be bright and pretty
    but I am from British Columbia and we don't wanrt her drilling in
    our National parks and killing Grizzlys for sport. I believe in sex
    education in schools as there are too many health risks because
    of ignorance, Doesn't take a brain surgeon to know she is not ready
    to be Commander In Chief. Dual Citizen, Doreen

September 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  20. Boston Girl

This just made my evening

September 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  21. FRANKIE WEBB

why act surprised that the biased msnbc staff would slam the republicans, has been this way since the almighty great one was selected by the media to be the next chosen one. Please such unmitgated bs!

September 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  22. Ohio for Obama

The race is over when you hear your own party trash your selection. I know its early, but Obama has a 7pt lead and recently picked up (2) more states.

September 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  23. Greg FL.

No bias there. Just the plain simple truth when they thought nobody was listening. How ya like them apples Mr. mcCain?

September 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  24. HyperD

No wonder! Palin is a TERRIBLE PICK..! So many flaws... McCain just wanted to secure the women vote. I supported Hillary, but I'm not buying that one. Palin is againts many issues that Hillary stands for... she's anti-environment, a creationist, and an extreme conservative SHE doesn't represent change! I was independent until now, but now I made up my mind for Obama. BAD, BAD CHOICE MCCAIN! All women are not the same! I will stick with Hillary!

September 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  25. Bill Tampa

Look, it's no secret the Republicans made a bad choice. Even their own party knows it. Let's face it though. Would you rather have Joe Biden in the big chair if something happend to the president, or Sara Palin?...It's obvious..Biden is more ready....The Republicans are on the defense because they made a mistake and have been caught. Look what they did to Campbell Brown. She was just trying to do her job and man, the republicans cried foul..They did not think it was so serious and they laughed at when Obama was under going scrutiny and said it was unfair. What comes around goes around!!!!!!!

Come on CNN folks publish this...no awaiting moderation this time.

September 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |