September 3rd, 2008

Hot mic catches GOP strategists trashing Palin pick

McCain greeted Palin Wednesday.
McCain greeted Palin Wednesday.

(CNN) – Prominent Republican analysts Peggy Noonan and Mike Murphy became the latest victims of an open microphone Wednesday, caught after a segment on MSNBC trashing John McCain's pick of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Noonan, a Wall Street Journal columnist and former speechwriter for Ronald Reagan, and Murphy, a campaign strategist and onetime aide to John McCain, can both be heard expressing disbelief with the pick of Palin after they apparently thought they were in a commercial break.

“I come out of the blue swing-state governor world, Engler, Whitman, Thompson, Mitt Romney,” Murphy said during the mishap which has since been posted on YouTube. Murphy later flatly says of the pick, "It's not going to work."

Noonan is heard going even further, saying of the presidential race, "It's over."

"I think they went for this - excuse me– political bulls–t about narratives," Noonan also said. "Every time the Republicans do that, because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at, they blow it."

Murphy, who was a senior adviser to John McCain's 2000 presidential bid, also adds, "You know what's really the worst thing about it? The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and this is cynical."

UPDATE: Writing on the Wall Street Journal Web site, Noonan apologizes for using profanity and says she was not claiming McCain's campaign was "over."

"In our off-air conversation, I got on the subject of the leaders of the Republican party assuming, now, that whatever the base of the Republican party thinks is what America thinks. I made the case that this is no longer true, that party leaders seem to me stuck in the assumptions of 1988 and 1994, the assumptions that reigned when they were young and coming up," she writes.  "The first lesson they learned is the one they remember," I said to [MSNBC's Chuck] Todd - and I'm pretty certain that is a direct quote. But, I argued, that's over, those assumptions are yesterday, the party can no longer assume that its base is utterly in line with the thinking of the American people. And when I said, "It's over!" - and I said it more than once - that is what I was referring to."

1. Chuck Todd Must Go!

You forgot to mention the biased comments by Chuck Todd, the replacement for the late Tim Russert who is not fit to tie Russert's shoes. Todd had lost all credibility as a political analyst. His comments show he is clearly in bed with the Democrats. He should be fired by NBC.

September 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  2. Phil-Texas

It is sure funny I said the same thing when I heard about Mc's pick and I am not a political pundit. Imagine that. These people are real geniuses.

September 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  3. FamilyValuesGuy

Thanks- Just-My-Observation you forgot one important thing about Palin that puts her qualifications way above those of Obama...she was Chairperson of the local PTA.

September 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  4. C

What a mess.

September 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  5. Please do better

Peggy Noonan said what everybody, regardless of political party, thinks when she pointed out that there are far better qualified Republican women.

September 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  6. Independentandlovingit

They should have added in that the leading Republican (female) in her own States Legislature was asked if she was qualified to be VP and she said " Qualified to be VP, she's not even qualified to be governor"
    WOW, what a ringing endorsement!

September 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  7. The Artful Dodger

scritti, I really do like Palin – but it's a shame about that McCain guy.

September 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  8. Matt

I hope that people see this VP pick for what it is. I think this shows everyone what McCain's decision making process looks like and I definitely don't want that kind of "decider" in the White House.

September 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  9. Don Fitzgerald

What's new with Noonan, putting something in her mouth, like a mic or a foot. She made a career at it !! She was hoping to make a puppet out of Senator McCain, like she did President Reagan, but Senator McCain kept getting the strings tangled !! Where do these Republicans come from, a rock farm in Texas !!
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS, BRING THEM HOME, ALIVE AND WHOLE. NOW.

September 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  10. Edgar

Nice!

September 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  11. mark

It sickens me how the media and their democratic masters have sunk to a level that Carl Rove would be proud of.

I am now voting for McCain just to piss off the left.

If they would scrutinize Obama or Biden half as much as they are Palin, I think they would show they are not saints either.

How come no one has challenged Biden on his strong support for the Iraq war in 2002, and now playing himself to be anti-war. He's a liar, and the media says nothing. Obama hangs out with America-haters and revolutionaries, and the media says nothing. The left drowls over this man like he is the second coming, and turns around and attacks the Republicans family, a tactic so low it is sickening.

Those who are riding this hate bus are a bunch of hypocrites and should be ashamed.

Moderators, please print this, I have apparently been black-listed, as none of my postings have made it in weeks, but this one, I think you should post. This is America, I have a right to speak my mind too!

September 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  12. Isabelle from WA

The smart repugs know that the Palin pick will not pick up Hillary's women voters. Palin is SO PALE in comparison to Hillary. What a joke to think we women will fall for it. McPain really underestimates and insults women with his choice of VP.

OBAMA-BIDEN!!!!!

September 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  13. andrew

If this speech is anything short of excellent tonight, it's over

September 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  14. Pat Dawson

In the photo that accompanies this article...McCain's face appears enormously swollen. Tumor? And Palin could be next in line? Yikes!

September 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  15. Ohio for Obama

Spin Spin Spin and more spin. You tube is a monster

September 3, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  16. Jeff

Haha. I don't want to hear any more of this nonsense about the "angry liberals" attacking Palin, even the real strategists of her own party know she's not up to the task!

September 3, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  17. Joey

They're right. It's over

September 3, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  18. dgordon

CNN, why did you leave out the quote by Noonan saying Palin is not qualified? Afraid to let the American public hear it coming from a woman? That's pathetic.

September 3, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  19. An Ex-Republican

Even the Republicans know that McCain blew it. He took a gamble and lost. He doesn't really care about our country or he would have chosen someone who was qualified. His campaign needed attention so he does the Maverick thing without regard for his country; whom he says he loves so much. McCain is all about "Politics as Usual"

OBAMA / Biden 08

September 3, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  20. Dreanna, NY

Meet the press, if you don't have anything to hide. Barack went through the wringer and Palin has to do the same. Let her take the skirt off and put on the boxing gloves, this is politics, not the sandbox.

Obama/ Biden 08

September 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  21. ben

Very put Thanks-that's just my observation.

September 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  22. Steve

Brilliant! While much of the narrative tonight will be on Palin's recital of a speech someone wrote for her that includes some of the foreign policy concepts she's learned during her St. Louis workshop at the convention, what I'd love to hear is more talk about the baker's dozen of highly questionable decisions she's been involved in as an "experienced executive". I'm thinking of "troopergate", car wash closures, parenting skills no better than Lynne Spears' (only mentioned because O'Reilly seems to think Spears is a failure as mom), turning a debt free town into one burdened by bonds and loans with nothing to show for it, inflating her approval rating by maximizing oil business returns for her constituents (your high gas prices in part are helping pay for her surplus checks...think about that) and the list goes on...

Nevertheless tomorrow morning expect reviews approaching Obama levels on her speech that will come across as "mavericky", "tough", "straightforward" and "honest", oh, and also "humble" and "populist". Just don't stop asking questions and don't stop demanding all of the facts! As the brilliant Campbell Brown revealed in her interview with Tucker Brown, McCain spokesdude, she has not a single example of foreign policy experience to speak of. Knock Obama all you like, he's been a breath of fresh air to our foreign policy ever since he opposed the attack on Iraq that is still sucking 10 billion dollars out of our country every month.

September 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  23. Ron , Berkeley , Ca.

I wonder what their lies will be tonight ? Those danmed republicans are so transparent.... that is when they don`t know someone is listining to their real thoughts and feelings about Sarah Palin and her family values.....
    Where`s Levi sleeping tonight ??? Are Bristol and her BABY DADDY, going to share the same hotel room ? I guess they should , afterall ,they`ve been given the blessings of Tony Perkins , James Dobson , and the rest of the Christian Right ,.... SHAME,SHAME,SHAME.....

September 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  24. No JM

Even they are against it! They are self desrupting! Mccain is already acknowledging defeat, because he is overwhelmed with what he knows he has to do in order to compete against Obama = it's CONCESSION!!

September 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  25. Becky response to DREW

LOL!!!!! this just made my day, I might have missed all this as I have been watching the RNC all this with my Mute Button on!!!

September 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |