September 3rd, 2008

McCain arrives in Minneapolis, greets Palins

CNN

Watch McCain arrive in Minneapolis.

(CNN) - For once, John McCain may not have been the center of attention at his own airport arrival.

The Arizona senator, arriving in the Twin Cities Wednesday afternoon to accept his party's presidential nominee, was greeted by both his family and that of running mate Sarah Palin's - including 17-year-old daughter Bristol and her newly revealed fiancé, Levi Johnston.

It was the first time McCain had met Johnston, whom earlier this week the Palins revealed was the father of their daughter Bristol's unborn baby.

Bristol Palin and Johnston firmly held hands as McCain embraced the couple, and appeared to offer his congratulations.

Several other members of the Palin family were also on hand to greet McCain, including the Alaska governor's oldest son, Track, who is slated to head to Iraq later this month.

All of McCain's children were also on the tarmac to greet their father - including his three children from his first marriage - Sydney, Andy and Doug, and his four children with current wife Cindy - Bridget, 23, Jack, Jimmy and Bridget, 17.

1. PA for Obama

THe look on that poor little girl's face on Friday when she was made to use her baby brother as a shield to disguise her pregnancy is something I find deeply disturbing. I wholly support this child in carrying her baby to term, but is 17 an age when two people are mature enough to marry? Would this poor child be forced to marry if her mother wasn't a candidate for national office? Shame on her parents and John McCain for using a child to convert a wedge issue into votes. Country first my derriere!

September 3, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  2. chorkie

Will someone tell me who was the lady/girl standing beside Cindy McCain in the "lineup" when John got off the plane in Minneapolis???

September 3, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  3. Judith

I am a strong supporter of Obama. Tell the Republicans their time has expired. It's over!

September 3, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  4. shadowgovernment

Could this get any weirder? This poor guy Levi is now being pressured on a national level to marry this girl; while he may like the girl, I'm sure he's certainly not ready to marry. Sarah Palin, you're a selfish, power-grabbing individual who puts her own agenda before that of her family.

September 3, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  5. Cecil

All For Show

September 3, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  6. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Didn't anyone tell her about birth control pills, condoms, abstinence??!?!

NEW FLASH Mrs. Sarah Palin:

Pregnancy is preventable.

September 3, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  7. wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

corrupt families as well as the so called evangelicals........ughhhhh

September 3, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  8. CSC

How Sweet, What's this world coming to?
    Does Palin/McCain think it's OK for 17 year olds to have Sex as long as they get married after the girl (child) is pregnant? WOW!!!!
    When are they getting married anyway? Probably after the baby is born so her Dad can walk the Virgin Bride down the aisle wearing WHITE, what a JOKE. What kind of Mother lets their 17 year old get married anyway. I think it helps her get rid of some quilt in some sick way.

September 3, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  9. Pam

So it's ok for McComb-over to play politics with Palin's daughter, but nobody else can?

September 3, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  10. longhairs for obama

black or latino unwed teenage mother? they say " this what cause americas problems". their daughter its "ok tho ,because they love her." republicans dont have mononpoly on 'loves'

obama/ bidens.

September 3, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  11. erik

I am not sure why, but this story and picture make me sick to my stomach. Congrats buddy! Wait... I thought this was NOT a political issue....

September 3, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  12. Bobby

Check out huffingtonpost.com. Even 2 top GOP commentators were caught on tape saying this race is over. hahaha. Its under the media tab. I cant wait for this to hit the major airways.

September 3, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  13. Rod Smelser

I believe I know the reasons why John McCain chose Palin. First, he really wanted Lieberman, but the pro-life crowd wouldn't hear of it. So he picked Palin, knowing she will have to bow out in a week or so, ... in fact, ... maybe later today! Then he can pick Lieberman and tell the religious right that now it's their turn to knuckle under.

Second, he knows that putting Palin and her family in the spotlight for a week or two will endear him and his staff to all the folks who work at Entertainment Tonite, People magazine, the National Enquirer, and other media institutions, all of which have a heavy influence on the vote coming from barber shops and beauty salons. They will be so grateful to him that he can count on their support as the election approaches, running various anti-Obama material and making McCain look attractive to their markets.

September 3, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  14. virtual in Georgia

Country 1st? What a joke this is my McCain. He is a 72 cancer survivor and has but this unqualified person to be 1 step away from being president. How is that Country 1st.?

That’s politics 1st McCain and we see exactly what you are doing. We are not stupid!!

Sorry, this VP pick now have me leaning for Biden & his sidekick. McCain’s judgment and preparation given his VP pick exhibits incompetence and shows his shoot first mentality which is very dangerous in this complex world.

September 3, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  15. Hillary Supporter

Any Hillary supporter that votes for Palin simply because she is a woman, and let me be clear, thats exactly what you would be doing because....If you voted for Hillary and now say you are voting for Palin you are voting against everything Hillary stands for but so what right? You want your revenge. Palin is no reformer and she is no maverick.

September 3, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  16. E. Becky Price

It is very disconcerting to me that there are so many other equally if not more qualified females to represent the Republican Party.

Based on news accounts, McCain would have preferred Leibermann or Ridge but settled for Palin to appease the ultra conservative group whose votes he needs. This suggests this nomination is politics as usual for the Republicans.

I don't think any significant number of women will switch from Obama/Biden to the GOP ticket. I think this move is condescending to women. I would like to see a female become president. My first thought is that there are so many more qualified women even in the Republican ranks.

This nominee has executive experience in running a "frontier" absent the challenges or diversity of this country, let alone the world. I think she is a figurehead-she sports the demographics McCain needs yet she is no threat to his leadership. Still the "big daddy" image that I think of when I look at the GOP powerbase. Afterall, did I not see a headline which stated that she was being tutored by McCain aides on foreign policy? A

nd one other thing, if this lady had been African-American, Native American, Hispanic American, etc. and nominated for this post, she would have immediately been branded unqualified and we will not even go to what would have been insinuated about the state of her family. Suddenly a teenage mother is a standard bearer and her mother a heroine for supporting her–where was the GOP when this was happening to so many others? If you look back through your clippings you wioll no doubt find the GOP condemning them and talking about how much they burdened the federal welfare system.

The GOP talks a good talk of late....but behold the wolves adorned in less threatening packages. A wolf is still a wolf and an elephant is still an elephant.

September 3, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  17. HyRNCpocrocy

The McCain / Palin campaign slogan shoud read "Do as I say not as I do".

I find it interesting that the Palin the reformer found fiscal religion after she lobbied and recieved $27Million in federal money for a town of 6500 people. When Republicans say they are fiscally conservative what they really mean is that they are conservative after they spend Billions in tax money on themselves and their friends.

September 3, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  18. Judith

One more comment. It was ironic that the pregnant teen held the baby during Palin's speech. she covered her belly with the blanket while the baby slept on her, How ironic?

I mean enough, is enough! Let's stop and analyze this whole thing.. It is indeed very shameful!

September 3, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |