September 3rd, 2008

Rich is 'Raisin' McCain' in St. Paul

Country star John Rich says millions of young voters support McCain.
Country star John Rich says millions of young voters support McCain.

(CNN) - Rappers and rockers flocked to the Democratic convention last week - now country stars are turning out for John McCain at the Republican gathering in St. Paul.

John Rich, of Big & Rich, voiced strong support for the Republican contender today in an interview with CNN.

"I'm one of those young conservative voters voting for John McCain that everybody says doesn't exist out there," Rich told CNN’s Soledad O’Brien Wednesday. "But I know there's tens of millions of us and I want to write a song that got everybody fired up and kind of a rally song."

Rich was referring to his song "Raisin' McCain," which he's been performing on the campaign trail. The song invokes McCain's time as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.

"He stayed strong, stayed extra long / 'Til they let all the other boys out," he sings. "Now we've got a real man with an American plan / We're going to put him in the big White House."

Rich will be playing his song tonight at the Republican convention, and he says he's been pleased to spend time with both Senator McCain and presumptive Republican VP nominee Governor Sarah Palin.

"Getting to be a part of this process is just off the charts for an old country guy like myself," he said.

Watch:  Rich tells CNN about his support for McCain

1. All the Kings Horses and All the Kings Men Couldn't Put Fallen Little Miss Ice Chip Together Again!

A redneck country singing to a lily-white crowd of rednecks and rubes supporting a zealot-lined political ticket?

September 3, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. A Mom

Raisin McCain? As in wrinkled and old McCain? I think the choice of the word "Raisin'" is both appropriate but uncomplementary. I believe the Republicans will come to regret this...

September 3, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  3. Obama

We don't care about rich.We care for America

September 3, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  4. Obama!!

Sorry Big and Rich, I really like your music but your political choice is down the drain.

September 3, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  5. VB

Big is actually a Obama supporter

September 3, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  6. Joseph, Los Angeles

Non-Issue. Just like the Repuplican convention where no issues are spoken... I wonder why?

September 3, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  7. Republican Hypocracy

Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy? Now there is hypocracy....why doesn't he sing that as an encore? I'm sure that will get the evangelical crowd up out of there seats....wait....shouldn't that be...

Save a Horse...Abstain from Riding a Cowboy!!!

September 3, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  8. Mary from Alabama!

GO McCain!!! And GO country music! If more people would listen to it the country would be better just from that. Having a country artist on stage at the convention is a smart idea! Theyre usually more educated than the democratic voice from Hollywood or the money hungry rappers...

great article by the way!!!

September 3, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  9. Fenarkleman

This is the same dude who wrote, "Where Were You When They Built That Ladder To Heaven."

Yeah, on South Park. I saw this guy. And his facial hair. Aren't his 15 minutes up by now?

September 3, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  10. NC

who is Jonh Rich,nenver heard of him not even on MTV

September 3, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  11. NC

NEVER HEARD OF THIS MAN ,WHO IS HE

September 3, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  12. True Republican

Big Rich – just another Big Jerk in a Big Hat. Please all you stars, stay away from the good old GOP, your a bunch of redneck idiots that make us true Republicans look stupid!

September 3, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  13. shadowgovernment

"Big" and "Rich" - go figure. On every Repugnant One's iPod playlist, I'm sure.

September 3, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  14. Denise Gallope

Yeah...just what the GOP's needs... another swaggerin' Republican cowboy everyone can relate to! The choice of a cowboy croonin at this convention will surely help some country music loving swing voters make their decision in favor of the GOP. But for many, it'll remind them of George W. Bush, that GOP disaster of a president with "that tough cowboy attitude" whom everyone cannot wait send packin'!

September 3, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  15. Alicia - East Bay, California

Just one question...How can you be one of the "Young Conservative Voters" but still refer to yourself as an "Old Country Guy"? Sounds like more flipflop and hyprocrisy we've gotten from the Republicans for the past 8 years and now they want us to go through 4 more years of it.

September 3, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  16. Filipina

Raising what?? Is he dead? lol

September 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  17. Peter of Oregon

His name speaks for itself. I'm sure the voters he's referring to are also rich.

September 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  18. Brian

Million for McCain vs. tens of millions for Obama.

September 3, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  19. Anonymous

John Rich sucks at music and isn't a Country singer. In Texas people play rebel Country like Willie Nelson. I'm glad his butt is in pop Nashville not Texas.

September 3, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  20. DJ in TX

I'm a big supporter of music of all kinds. I'm not necessarily a country music fan, but I don't knock it either. If country music is what McCain likes, more power to him. As long as he's listening to music.

BTW – I like modern jazz, especially the saxopohone. My co-worker next to me listens to country. We get along just fine. Our boys go to the same school. There should be no issues from either side on the type of music someone chooses to listen to.

Music is a "universal" language.

Go Obama

September 3, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  21. Huh?

Then where the heck are the millions of youth? I saw a lot of senior citizens last night during convention coverage the men in the front rows followed by what looked like women in the next rows, followed by followed by the Texas delegation in cowboy hats. No America I am used to, where on earth were the people of color? America is diverse, this convention and this group of republicans were a reflection of the past , and now it's time to move to the future.

September 3, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  22. Get Glad

Mad, are you clinging to a gun? That is not going to make you happy. You have to open your eyes, 8 years of Bush/McCain is causing you to be angry. You should be, many folks are, high gas, high unemployment, jobs shipped overseas, food expensive, trillion dollar deficit, 2 wars, one a disaster and costing billions a month, and on and on and on. You will be GLAD when you vote Obama.

September 3, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  23. Phil in KC

And Big Kenny (the other half of Big & Rich) supports Obama. So I guess Kenny represents the young liberals who do exist?? Funny, he's a young conservative, but an old country boy. Which is it John?

September 3, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  24. hometowndemocrat

BIG & RICH??????

Maybe McBush should change his campaign slogan from "Country First" to "BIG AND RICH"........................it makes much more sense considering those are the Americans he is truly concerned with.

Can't wait until John Stewert gets his hands on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 3, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  25. Shannon

isn't he the man who shot a bear in a cage, I believe the bear even had a name, and than he moved it to the woods to make it look like he was a big hunter. He belongs in prison, what a disgusting pig! I hope he is reading this, you tortured an animal to make yourself look like a big man, If I was McCain, I would say get off my side, you completely disgusting human being!

September 3, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |