September 3rd, 2008

Scenes from the floor

ALT TEXT

The signs have been distributed for Wednesday evening’s session of the Republican convention in St. Paul, Minnesota. (Photo credit: Mike Roselli/CNN)

1. EDW

Sherry Johnston said she was worried about her son dealing with all the attention. She said it was difficult enough for teenagers to deal with any pregnancy, having the entire nation watching made it worse.

Levi Johnston, a high school hockey player for Wasilla High School, is not listed on the team roster for 2008-2009, and his mother wouldn't say if he graduated. She said simply he's no longer a student and any further information would have to come from him.

The intense media scrutiny has stunned this suburban community about 40 miles north of Anchorage, with reporters camping out near the Johnston home.

"This is out of my league," Sherry Johnston said. "I'm just a country gal and I want to keep it that way."

September 3, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  2. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Prosperity for the wealthy!

September 3, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  3. Ellie

Okay, am I missing something here? HOW many colors has John McCain used thus far? I mean, he started out with puke green, then yesterday it was black and yellow, hello? NOW it's red, yellow and blue.... hummm

Wake me up when we get to orange and purples....

Gee, now we're focusing on empty seats. That's a first.

September 3, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  4. Tom

Check out this youtube video of what conservatives REALLY think about Palin... amazing!

youtube and search for Noonan and Murphy on Palin

September 3, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  5. Independent in New Mexico

I'm waiting to hear the "chicken in every pot" speech recycled (Yet again.) I'm getting tired of the "Democracrats mean higher taxes and big government" ads that are being aired. How about YOU tell me what your plans are to deal with all the issues that are facing the average citizen in this country. Issues such as the economy, the war(s), health care, etc. If you want my vote, tell me why I should vote for you, NOT why I shouldn't vote for your opponent .

September 3, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  6. Ann

SHE IS CLOSE TO RUSSIA SO SHE HAS FOREIGN POLICY EXPERIENCE.
    SARAH APPALIN HAS BACHELOR DEGREE DOE THAT QUALIFY FOR VP WITH ZERO EXPERIENCE

WE JUST NEED HER TO ANSWER QUSTIONS SPECIFICALLY THAT ALL
    I CANNOT BUY AN ITEM WITHOUT SEEN IT

SHE has foreign relation experience because alaska is next to russia"
    She has a pastor who dams Jews and says "god will punish the US of A"
    She is under state investigation.
    She worked for the criminal Alascan politicians in a 527.
    She has ties to the Alaska Independence Party.
    This is supposed to be a "faux media scandal"? The pick of this person is the ture scandal

September 3, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  7. Doug in Seattle

Country First? Like selecting a vice presidential running mate who's only qualification is to bring votes from disillusioned Hillary supporters and the far right. Sounds like Party First to me.

September 3, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. Steven

The Republicans put "country first"? Puhhhhhleaze.

September 3, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  9. Voter

As a lifelong Democrat, I cannot bring myself to vote for their arrogant, racist, sexist candidate who, if he wins, will have bought the election with the obscene amounts of money he has raised.

And I cannot bring myself to vote for McCain, a card-carrying member of the Flat Earth Society, whose VP pick trivializes the second highest office in the US.

I wonder how many other serious voters who follow candidates carefully and actually listen to their policy positions are in the same place I am.

September 3, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  10. Ex-Republican for Obama

I know they put country first...I just don't know which country.
    It sure isn't USA

September 3, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  11. Mohamed

country 1st? i'm wondering what country they are talking about it does not look like u.s to me, wait i think they are talking about a place called Iraq where the oil companys are making a kill, and our young men and women are dying cause of them shame on you McBush, if country 1st thing is true how come not a single speaker talked about our #1 issue the aiing economy? its time for change

September 3, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  12. Breck

Country First? Continuing 90% of Bush's policies that have wrecked the nation is Country First? To quote Doug, sounds like Party First to me.

September 3, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  13. Vegas

Well... at least it's a blog about something other than the latest Obama slander on Palin....

That guy is change all right... change from attacking women to women and children...

What a tool... I will be rolling on the floor laughing when Obama admits defeat in November...

Go Dem congress by the way... heard you moved up to a 9% approval rating today... triple that and you will be as good as Bush....

September 3, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  14. PUMA IS A KARL ROVE DIRTY TRICK AND A MYTH..

Prosperity???

are you KIDDING me???

(oh.. they must be talking about HALIBURTON'S)

September 3, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  15. Deliah, NY

Yes, prosperity–like so many houses you don't know how many you have. Well if John has to ask his staff how many homes he has, I have to ask my staff how many votes I have.

LOL, the answe is one and that vote will go to the Obama/Biden ticket.

Obama / Biden 08

September 3, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  16. Len in Washington

Prosperity? For Whom?
    I can't see who manufactured the sign. China?

September 3, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  17. Gorbashov - Long Beach, Ca.

Country First........................or as the Alaska Independence Party puts it.........Alaska First.

Secede now!

LOL

September 3, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  18. Charlotte

I can hardly wait. I think it is the most important speech of this election. The person who stole Obamas' thunder will be expected to light up the sky. The sparks she has created will live in history. I may vote for this ticket, even though I do not agree with all the positions of McCain/Palin and the GOP. They want to appeal to the Hillary supporters, which is more then the Obama campaign and the DNC have chosen to do. I am glad Hillary is not on the ticket with Obama as that would have forced me to vote for Obama. I think Hillary should remain a US Senator and refuse any and all offers to be a Secretary of any kind if Obama should win. She stands a good chance of being the next Governor of New York. Half of the Democrats wanted her for POTUS and that is a lot of people. This election will be history making no matter the outcome. Maybe it is time for the Government to have a "Hockey Mom" perspective. To finally to have a person who has lived in the real world. McCain describes the VP position as, a tie vote breaker and to check on the health of the President. If something should happen to McCain, Sarah would need a VP. Then she could pick a senior Senator as her VP, as Obama has done.

September 3, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  19. prachergal

You can't have it both ways. The choice of Palin didn't put country first--it put McCain first and the GOP election.

Switching positions by McCain doesn't put country first either--it puts McCain first.

We are smarter than this. We won't be hoodwinked by placards and slogans.

September 3, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  20. Darryl Miller

Let's not forget the Governor Sarah Palin supports Senator Obama's Energy Plan:

August 4, 2008, Fairbanks, Alaska – Governor Sarah Palin today responded to the energy plan put forward by the presumptive Democratic nominee for President, Illinois Senator Barack Obama.

“I am pleased to see Senator Obama acknowledge the huge potential Alaska’s natural gas reserves represent in terms of clean energy and sound jobs,” Governor Palin said. “The steps taken by the Alaska State Legislature this past week demonstrate that we are ready, willing and able to supply the energy our nation needs.”

In a speech given in Lansing, Michigan, Senator Obama called for the completion of the Alaska natural gas pipeline, stating, “Over the next five years, we should also lease more of the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska for oil and gas production. And we should also tap more of our substantial natural gas reserves and work with the Canadian government to finally build the Alaska natural gas pipeline, delivering clean natural gas and creating good jobs in the process.”

Governor Palin also acknowledged the Senator’s proposal to offer $1,000 rebates to those struggling with the high cost of energy.

“We in Alaska feel that crunch and are taking steps to address it right here at home,” Governor Palin said. “This is a tool that must be on the table to buy us time until our long-term energy plans can be put into place. We have already enjoyed the support of Alaska Senator Ted Stevens, and it is gratifying to see Senator Obama get on board.”

The Governor did question the means to pay for Obama’s proposed rebate — a windfall profits tax on oil companies. In Alaska, the state’s resource valuation system, ACES, provides strong incentives for companies to re-invest their profits in new production.

“Windfall profits taxes alone prevent additional investment in domestic production. Without new supplies from American reserves, our dependency and addiction to foreign sources of oil will continue,” Governor Palin said.

September 3, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  21. Irma in North Carolina

Ya to get us for more years of Bush,and a white house with no morals in it.

September 3, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  22. Dylan in CA

"I have a message for you John McCain: We ALL put our country first."

-Barack Obama in Denver, Co

September 3, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  23. J. Dean, Juno Beach, FLORIDA

REPUBLICANS, OLD MAN JOHN McCAIN, THE VICE PRESIDENT AND THE REST OF THE GANG SUPPORTING OUR GOP, I MEAN REPUBLICAN PARTY.
    WHAT KIND OF MORAL VALUES ?
    WHAT KIND OF CHRISTIAN VALUES?
    WHAT KIND OF FAMILY VALUE?
    WHAT KIND OF AMERICAN VALUES?
    WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO TEACH US, TO TEACH OUR FAMILY, TO TEACH TO OUR CHILDREN, TO THE NEXT GENERATION ?
    AS LIFE TIME REPUBLICAN PARTY MEMBER I WILL NEVER GIVE MY VOTE TO THIS LEADERSHIP.

September 3, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  24. P

Hope they have more African Americans tonight
    As last night was pity full........

But dont think they will be as only the Repulicans put they
    Counrty First no one else do ??

Need someone from the Mcain Camp to verify or explain this one to the Public and why hardly only minor see at they convention

September 3, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  25. Hakim

I hope to hear something tonight from the RNC, besides be scared of Obama and he is a liberal and we put country first. None of those things is a policy position, wait I forgot this election is not about issues. This convention looks like a bore and does not reflect how diverse our country is. There is a reason Republicans only get 5-10% of African American voters and that is because there is no embracing of A.A. Also why is is people are able to say someone is sexist at a drop of a hat and it's no big deal but if someone is being racist then that's off limits and why is race being injected into the campaign. Remember Obama epitomizes Amerian values, family values and traditional values. God, family and country are all things Obama honors, what else does one need when it comes to the American values.

Obama a true American 2008 and 2012, Hillary 2016 and 2020.

September 3, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |