September 3rd, 2008

Schneider: Giuliani’s ugly approach may backfire

CNN

Watch: Giuliani says Obama 'got it wrong' on Iraq.

ST. PAUL (CNN) – This speech is about mockery – and I wonder whether that’s appealing to voters. I really think this tone is going to turn a lot of voters off – it’s ugly, it’s bitter, it’s nasty. There is a bullying tone to this speech, and to Romney’s speech, and I just don’t think it works.

Watch: Giuliani says this is 'no time for on the job training'

Even less appealing: “When they gave up on Iraq, they gave up on America”? Now that’s insulting.

What they’re doing is re-running the 2004 campaign, which the Republicans won on the issue of terrorism. He’s saying the war on terror should be the supreme issue – but for most voters it’s the economy

1. DA

I have to say the one thing Rudy red meat speech has done tonight is fired up a political party but, it's not the one he was speaking to tonight. The Democrats will wipe the floor with them. It will be such a nice day not to hvae to deal with these folks who talk and don't do nothing. The GOP will do anything to win the office. The dog and pony show is nothing but a lot of hot air. This party should be disband!!!

September 3, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. richard j h

mockery or truth?

September 3, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  3. Don

Truly offensive.

September 3, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  4. Mindy Baker

Since I am from New York, and was in New York during 9/11, Mayor Guliani's speech has brought me to tears, BUT NOT for what you may think. I have been brought to tears because I am just that offended. Please tell me that people know it was BIN LADEN who attacked us and he is in AFGHANISTAN. Iraq had nothing to do with it. HOW DARE HE use our attack as propaganda for his smear campaign. HOW DARE HE!

September 3, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  5. Indy who just went DEM

I honestly can say I am sickened by the republican party. When did being a community organizer become a joke!

You have lost me in every election. Anyone with any honer or respect would never make a joke out of people who go to a community in need and help!

I will not vote for McCain or anyone who stands with the idea that being a community organizer is a joke!

September 3, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  6. Hannah Storm

Rudy's speech was horrible but I never expected it to be good.....THANK YOU RUDY for turning people off to the Repub. Party

How can Palin accept the nomination before being nominated????

September 3, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  7. Aaron from Cincy

I'm truly upset by the GOP. I am angered by the half-truths and often, the no truth at all. I am angered by their attacking the media for simply raising legitimate questions about Palin. I am very angry that they try to make people think Obama and the democrats are friends to the terrorists. It is disgusting. The GOP can bring up all of Palin's personal life when it benefits them, but as soon as someone brings up something negative from her life, they call it sexism and ganging up on her. It's not even funny anymore. How anyone can truly 100 percent love the McCain-Palin ticket and the garbage this campaign spews on a nightly basis is unimaginable to me. The GOP should be ashamed, not because their policies are wrong, but because they blatantly distort the truth and try hypocritically to go family of their opponent. It's time for this shameful party to be put in their place.

September 3, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  8. hick

he's a SOB!!!!!!!!SHE ACCEPTED! ITS ON!!!RADICAL RIGHT CALLING DEMS AND LIBERALS UN-PATRIOTIC. THEY ARE FASCISTS!

September 3, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  9. steve

That was the most disgusting, vile speech I have ever heard in my life. Good luck courting swing voters with such an offensive speech. I see now why you lost in the primary.

September 3, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  10. Jim, IN

I was watching gulianis speech and i was getting the same vibe as was suggested in this post. He was so darn cynical that maybe it got that room excited, but he just seemed mean and bare knuckled politics at home.

September 3, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  11. changing times

I agree it was ugly and it has really brought me down. I'm glad I don't support this party. It's awful!

September 3, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  12. CM

Keep on going guys. It keeps up Obama's 'post convention' bump.

McCain might be the only candidate to actually help his opponent out with his convention.

September 3, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  13. Yvonne

Rudy is nasty and mocking but I think it's ineffective. He sounds silly and five years behind the times.

September 3, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  14. Zuq

What a racist Jewliani is? Did he say that Islam = terrorist? Wow, that's racist. Jewliani and Lieberman are not for this country. I think both of their speeches said it all. War, war, war.. Lies Lies Lies. You're all a bunch of phonies!

September 3, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  15. FactCheck

What about Rudi is NOT ugly?

September 3, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  16. D&D

Giuliana's speech was SO BORING that I had to watch Venus vs Serena playing...much more entertaining!

September 3, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  17. Lame Repubs..

That was the worst thing I have ever heard.. These Repubs don't talk about the issues confronting our nation.. They just tear people down?? Today I've become a TRUE BLUE DEMOCRAT.. Sick of them now..

September 3, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  18. Chuck

Rudy Rocks!!! It's the pathetic "wimp" approach of Obama/Biden toward the security of this country that will backfire.

September 3, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  19. Sarah

Bill Schneider really hates GOP.

September 3, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  20. Deb

and the Dems did not mock the GOP, Bush, McCain, Palin???

Obama is RIPE for mocking–celebrity senator with no accomplishments, indeed.

September 3, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  21. Marie-Lynn

A snake just a snake that the way I see him. Hypocrite and disgusting

September 3, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  22. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Old Palin was knocked up too

September 3, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  23. C- Gram

mean nasty made fun of senator obamas work helping laid off workers and their families.. just plain mean.it will turn americans off.

September 3, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  24. Robert

Wow, Guliani was off his rocker. The Republicans just look angry. I can't believe how gross that was. I think they are tone deaf on the national mood.

Independents are going to leave this party in droves.

He not only likely upstaged Palin, he looked hateful.

September 3, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  25. POW

wait john mccain is a war hero...i never knew that

September 3, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |