September 3rd, 2008

Schneider: Giuliani’s ugly approach may backfire

CNN

Watch: Giuliani says Obama 'got it wrong' on Iraq.

ST. PAUL (CNN) – This speech is about mockery – and I wonder whether that’s appealing to voters. I really think this tone is going to turn a lot of voters off – it’s ugly, it’s bitter, it’s nasty. There is a bullying tone to this speech, and to Romney’s speech, and I just don’t think it works.

Watch: Giuliani says this is 'no time for on the job training'

Even less appealing: “When they gave up on Iraq, they gave up on America”? Now that’s insulting.

What they’re doing is re-running the 2004 campaign, which the Republicans won on the issue of terrorism. He’s saying the war on terror should be the supreme issue – but for most voters it’s the economy

1. Ruth

Rudy Guiliani and his mockey sounded pathetic. Turned me off completely. Barack has scared them into these. All they can do is mock and belittle him. Go Barack!!!!

September 3, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  2. Paul

Giuliani seems to base his speech on "if I say it, it must be true"

To quote a well known politician:

"If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog? Five? No, calling a tail a leg don't make it a leg. "

- Abraham Lincoln

September 3, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  3. California Gold

Both Romney and Guiliani are irrelevant and impertinent. Completely out-of-touch with most American voters. Sadly they both delight in mocking and accusing others as unAmerican and guilty of near treason (without one scintilla of proof to substantiate). Both are bullies. Both are out of office. Can't imagine why.

September 3, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  4. Todd M

Isn't he condiered one of the East Coast Elite?

By the way, didn't the Republicans put us in this mess in the first place? So they're saying that they are the party to reform and clean up their own mess? How well does that usually work out?

Oh yeah, I get it. John McCain was a POW. I'm not minimizing it, the Republicans are. How many more times do we need to hear it? So all soldiers are qualified to be President? How about policemen? How about firefighters? They give their lives each day too.

September 3, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  5. frank Honolulu HI

Giuliani is a loser. He uses the deaths of the 911 victims for his own political gain. How low is that? What kind of person is he? I hope he sees those victims in his afterlife and they corner him for his actions.
    His whole aura is ugly.

September 3, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  6. R U for real?

Is this the type of leadership America wants to listen to? Someone that gets up and insults a group of people by saying they are giving up on America.

I was a little uncomfortable listening to the slew of insults directed at Obama. wouldn't it make more sense to talk about his policies instaed of trying to tear him down as a person? And all this after complaining about the media vetting Palin.

I found the speech very mean spirited, and makes me think the GOP is filled with bigots.

September 3, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  7. Robin

Not good at all, there was no message of change ... just cut downs. I changed the channel.

September 3, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  8. JT from TN

Sounds like the democrats ain't the only mad people we got huh, guiliani?

September 3, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  9. will

Giuliani, Mit, Huck, Mccain and Palin is a joke, I voted for Reagan even though I am a dem. I will not vote for Mcbush and Cheney Lite.

10. drltw

I agree, the tone of the speech was nasty, bitter, ugly, and insulting. That's for the voters to decide.

In his speech, Giuliani accused Senator Joe Biden on flip-flopping on his position with Senator Barack Obama. Last l checked, wasn't Giuliani one of McCain's chief rivals and since he didn't get the nomination, didn't he (Giuliani) flip-flop on his position with John McCain!

Hypocrisy is the word that comes to mind...

11. Cindy

Guilani's speech was horrible, McCain has proved his senility to me by allowing this idiot to speak.

12. John

lol...he looked really foolish with all those lies

13. Jared

Guiliani's speech just seemed like one big in-joke, with him and everyone else laughing at things that really make no sense to be laughing at. It's almost like they're laughing at themselves now.

14. vote4obama

Yes. So far the convention has been about how McCain is a great American, how Palin is a woman, attacking Obama, and stealing slogans/rhetoric from Obama when deemed pertinent. I know
    Americans are smarter than all of THAT!

15. Muffie

Thank you very much Mr. Schneider. Smart Citizens KNOW better. Where are the ISSUES??!! I really couldn't care less about Todd Palin being a champion snow machine racer!!

16. Charla in TX

I have never…NEVER…in my life heard or seen such an awful and childish display…..both by Giuliani and by the crowd.

Disgusting and shameful. I would never....NEVER....vote republican now, even if Jesus himself came down and ran for president on that party's ticket. Shameful.

17. PJ

Guiliani is an adulterer who kicked hiswife out of the Governor's masion and replaced her with his mistress while in office! McCain through his sick wife to the curb while "courting" current wife Cindy. The ink had not dried on the divorce papers at the time they John and Cindy said "I Do". Romney wasn't picked for VP because the same extreme twisted right base he is attempting to rev up would have went into cardiac arrest if a moron who is a morman was on the ticket. These adulters, cons, and liers are now rolling out the red carpet for this unqualified VP nominee by throwing trash to divert the truth. There is certainly no way these idiots will get the White House.

18. jason, tx

No kidding. Isn't the whole McCain campaign backfiring? HAHAHAHA I love it!

19. Walt

I was thinking ugly too!!!!!!

20. jill

when they choose to go into Iraq and stay there and spend billions of Dollars in a war that should never have happened.. They gave up on America..as they sat back and did nothing for the people of New Orlean, allow companies to close their doors in the US and go everseas, let top CEO companies make millions while people lose their jobs, Give tax breaks to big Oil companies with american footing the bill, and watch families after families lose their homes, Who gave up on who....We have not given up on America that is why we will fight to take Washington back.

21. lance

That was the worst most degrading speech I've ever heard on the national scene. I think that he even said that we as dems want terroist to reign. How gross is he!!! OBAMA!!!

22. Kristina, Seattle

You hit the nail on the head, Bill. I am a Democrat who actually enjoyed listening to Huckabee's speech. But Giuliani was sounded so nasty, petty, bitter and hateful that I had to turn it off. What a washed-up nut job living in the past.

23. TJ-Texas

WOW..I thought the way the GOP respond is very rude. Dem did not talk about them like that. I am shocked listening to the speeches.... I am shocked that McCain even choose her. Now I am happy she is a women, but to have a downsydrome child and a child thats pregnant at 17..When will she have time to help McCain? I am shocked he chose her! I am shock that everyone is praising her child for being pregnant. Thats like saying its okay to get pregnant at 17. Is it legal for her daughter to be pregnant by 18 year old? I am waiting for her to say something about her pregnant child......Wow, this GOP convention is boring....

September 3, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  24. Chris San Francisco, CA

Excellent speech, especially the jabs at the Obama "community organizer" resume.

September 3, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  25. Hypocrisy is the name of the game

I livedin NY when he was mayor and this man is the worst bigot and hypocrite that ever lived. John McCain is going to lose this election with these hotheads representing him. This year it is about families like myself who are living paycheck to paycheck to feed and clothe their families. He insulted me and my kind to the very core and to add insult to injury McCain chooses a female with very little appeal to issues that I care most about. The whole convention is negative and Obama is RIGHT they have nothing to offer my kind (women, mothers, students, wage earner, educator) all these descriptors fit nicely with the DEMOCRATS.

Thank you McCain for LOSING many voters.

September 3, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |