September 3rd, 2008

Schneider: Huckabee strikes roughly the right note

Former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee spoke at the RNC earlier this evening.

ST PAUL (CNN) - Mike Huckabee’s is the first speech so far that really seems to understand the voters’ point of view.

People are hurting economically, and looking for real change. And he’s a good man to deliver that message - Republicans always do best with candidates not born to wealth and privilege, like Eisenhower, Nixon and Reagan.

Huckabee also hits the right notes for this crowd: To these delegates, Europe = socialism.

A good line from Huckabee, if it’s true: Sarah Palin got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden did for President of the United States. Then again, he was only an active candidate in one state – a caucus state, Iowa. And he’s a sitting senator, who drew many times that number of votes in his last statewide election.

There was a touch of authentic populism there in Huckabee’s speech – but I’m still waiting to hear talk about what they’re going to do about the economy. That’s what voters want to hear.

Still very little about George Bush.

1. Rhian

Huckabee was definitely the best candidate for president - he's anti-infanticide and yet has a more populist leaning and understands that the average American is hurting badly.

However, the media - owned by the big corporations - mocked him a bit, then destroyed him by ignoring him, until he finally surfaced again so they could give him a final boot by announcing that he was leaving the race. Pretty much the way they destroyed the populist Edwards to make way for Obama, who's also a corporation man.

A pity that I've got to vote for McCain/Palin simply on the infanticide and gun control issues, despite the fact that they're evidently going to continue kicking the economy down the garbage chute. It's eased somewhat by the fact that Obama's likely to be little better economically, though.

Huckabee 2012!

September 3, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  2. Anonymous

This was the first time I saw the husband of Sarah Palin hold their baby it appears as though the
    daughter is going to serve as the primary caretaker of the child. Additionally, the daughter is too young and the young man to sustain a healthy emotion marriage relationship statistics prove this to be a fact. Is Sarah truly promoting this relationship; talking responsible commitment?

Is not the media part of this great country?

September 3, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  3. Disgusted

Palin has no real ideas of her own so she steals Obama's ideas and then slams him for them. Talk about an elevator not going all the way to the top? Anybody can slam someone. That's the cheap way out.

Where was all that know-it-allness when she should have been watching things at home?

September 3, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  4. Evie

Ms, Palin,

How you distort Obama's tax plan. Her premise is telling us that taxes will be raised on everyone and no-one will have the money to create businesses or get ahead. It is only being raised on those making over $250,000. They say if the really wealthy will see their wealth shrink further, their businesses will suffer and they will let people be fired and more people will go on welfare. I think those who have that much money will still be prosperous and find loopholes. Obama will only lower taxes on those making 42,000 dollars and less. I only make 20,000 a month and that is with a trust fund distribution. I have lost alot of money in the market. If I have one more major illness, and I have had breast cancer, I will maybe lose my home.

I am a senior citizen and still work, and am on social security. I feel I still need some relieve, not welfare; and there are millions more who have already lost homes, jobs, etc. They don't need welfare; they need some relieve and more jobs.

September 3, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  5. Kristen

I've got to say, I thought Huckabee's speech was pretty decent. I disagree with a lot of what he said, but at least he wasn't combative. He was witty and personable. The rest of the speeches tonight were disgusting. Mitt Romney, a man who became rich running a company whose sole purpose was the ship American jobs overseas, offered this solution to the American economy: it's your fault–don't ask gov't to help–if you can't figure out how to fix this, that's your fault not the governments. Wow–I don't know that that's going to be well-received.
    Giuliani was too much. At a time when America is pleading for unity and hope, he literally made fun of hope. His tone was so abrasive, it was disgusting. Scare tactics and blame to the extreme, and I think that we've seen this enough to know it doesn't lead to good governance.

September 3, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  6. Marc

Hey guys >> How about Huckebee >> isn't he a character ??? I think he should go back to church and ask for forgiveness. I think he is out of it >>

September 3, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  7. Griff

What is man supposed to do? I tried but there are so many Chauvanist out there... Two kind's of people.in this world .... Pity they are all male...

September 3, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  8. Joe

Palins speech was along the same lines as Rudy giuliani's full of mackery for Obama. I was very turned off by it. I was not inspired at all.
    What a shame. They could have done much better with out all the negativity.

September 3, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  9. Marc

If you reallly listen to Republicans speak ?? they all play the same tune which is the LOONY TUNE >>>> and no one really is taking them serious.

September 3, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  10. Pat

l am Canadian and I have been following the whole political thing and I'm a little confused. I am shocked to hear people some people I have seen interviewed say they will vote for the other party, because of ethnicity or because there is a woman on the ticket, or worse yet won't vote at all because their candidate wasn't selected. I thought voting was about electing the person who most closely shares your views and most importantly, the right person to lead the country; state/province, city etc.. Not the race gender or age of a candidate. , Maybe I'm a little naive but when I vote, none of those things matter to me.

September 3, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  11. Greg

Anybody seen Larry Sinclair? except blobama!

September 3, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  12. RNC ticket holder

All I've heard from this party is nothing but hate speech and untruths.

Pretty soon they are going to claim that they never voted for Bush.

September 3, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  13. george

WHAT THE....CNN?? SOME UNKNOWN NAMED "SCHNEIDER" HAS SUDDENLY WRITTEN ABOUT 12 PRO-LIBERAL BIASED ARTICLES WITHIN ABOUT 3 HOURS. SO MUCH FOR SUBJECTIVE REPORTING. YOU EVEN CUT OFF COMMENTS IN *ALL* OF THE ARTICLES WITHIN 10 OBAMABOT COMMENTS EXCEPT THIS ONE WHICH IS THE OLDEST??

September 3, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  14. Velina

The Republican convention, and in particular tonight's convention speeches, have confirmed I am making the right decsion in voting the Democratic ticket. Not only am I witnessing a convention with very little diversity – I am extremely ashamed and horrified at the level of personal attacks on the Democratic candidate. The Republicans have fallen back on old tricks – when you can't win on the issues – go on the offensive about non-issues. Shame on you Republicans – its time for a real debate / discussion of the issues.

September 3, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  15. RNC ticket holder

The GOP is going to do to Obama when he wins the house what they did to Dr. King in '68. Yes, the GOP is a very hateful faction.

September 3, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  16. RNC ticket holder

Why they don't just come out and say it already! C'mon GOP, say it! You hate them "N's".

September 3, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  17. Evie

Sorry, I said $20,000 a month. That is $20,000 a year!!!

September 3, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  18. RNC ticket holder

Too bad Arnold Shwartzenegger didn't show other wise they be saying Arnold's last name over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. The GOP likes to say that word behind close doors after the finish praying.

September 3, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  19. baljeet

Mccain is the man.. Yes we can and we will !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 3, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  20. fred

It is true because Biden dropped out right after the Iowa caucus. While he was running for president, he received less votes than Palin did while she was running.

September 3, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  21. Amy-Texas

Wow CNN you are truely amazing you close all the treads about Palin and only let the liberals get to post on there. Shame on you CNN your network and your thread board is ridiclious. Too bad Obama is going down and you are sinking with him.

September 3, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |