September 3rd, 2008

Schneider: Palin taking a risky road on the experience issue

ST PAUL (CNN) –- Palin is giving an effective speech –- if a very long one - that puts her family life on the table.

She seems very comfortable on stage, as she becomes the latest speaker of the night to take a swipe at Michelle Obama.

Watch: Palin says she has 'actual responsibilities'

Her experience on the energy issue is very valuable in this campaign – it’s an issue on which she can speak with some authority, and holds a lot of appeal for voters this cycle.

But she’s going out on a limb here – it’s a little risky for her to go after Obama on experience, as she’s doing right now.

1. Jatovi, NC

Her speech was no more than just an attack ad. She had no substance what so ever. She did not impress me at all.

Also If you keep focusing on her family they will continue to be drug through the mud.

2. LT for Obama

This speech was full of lies about her own achievments, lies about Obama and bashing, bashing, bashing. Oh, did she mention that John McCain was a POW?

Where was the substance? Where was the clarification of your qualifications? Seriously? This is who they want to potentially hand over the White House to.

I pray "Lord, please keep us safe from harm and pull this country back to its former glory."

Wolf just said she hit it out of the park. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

3. David M.

This was a joke. She recited a speech that was written for her using the generic Repub model. She rehashed things about her work that we already know, but nothing new. And why is that baby at this loud convention.

4. CH

Boring

5. Dian

Are you kidding me?? What on earth was she thinking? How about telling us about what you stand for instead of insults! That was ridiculous! And why are the escorting people out?

6. Rodger

No ideas or policy comments, nothing but lies and insults. It really discusts me to where the Republican party is today.

7. Anonymous

She is toast. She just took the gloves off! Any response from the Obama campaign, she deserves. This woman is dumber than McCain. They are going down fast!

8. Jen830

She is terrible! Is this the only person willing to run with McCain? I guess so...any intelligent woman would run far, far away.

9. Charnie

Sarah has no experience herself and she attacking using experience. Her speech has no substance only attacks on Obama and praises for McCain. Why exactly did they make the Levi come again. The boy looks so uncomfortable. She is just full of it

10. monica

Very long self indulgent speech, and BIG surprise, mcbush came out in the end, i wonder where he got this idea from!!! The ENTIRE party is pro-war and anti Obama, that is their entire platform

screw the economy
    screw the people whose lives have been lost in this war for nothing
    just bash Obama and the republicons will cheer

her speech lacked substance, any specific plans, she was merely a cheerleader for mcbush and an Obama basher...too bad the next time she speaks in front of crowd this large will be at her concession speech...

Obama/Biden 08/12

11. Manitoba Mama

I feel like I need a long hot shower and the most abrasive soap I can find to get the dirty and nastiness and violent hatred off me after watching tonight.

12. Jim

I'm watching this whole thing, flipping back and forth from channels trying to say away but out of curiousity coming back. Honest to god I am…just…i can't put it into words…these people scare the hell out of me.

They are twisted, so brainwashed it's downright scary…I've never in my life imagined people in America could be so brainwashed, this is just freakish. November can't come soon enough but if this goes on I'm going to puke.

13. sjp

thats it? thats all she had? someone please tell me what she said that is going to help middle america. also can anyone tell me what she said different from any of the other speakers in the last 2 days. average at best, in front of her own group. they will eat her alive out on the circuit.

14. J-M

Screw the pundits who say this was great. She lied again on the bridge to nowhere and she needs to be called on that...between her and Giuliani, they didn't address any real issue except to mock viciously the Dems...This was just a show of vile and disgusting mockery...TURNED ME OFF!

15. brandie

Is she gonna put AirForce One on e-bay, too?

16. DJ in Colorado

I've never seen such mockery, negativity, hatefulness and lies in one sitting in my entire 50 years. Americans don't like ugly and the rethuglicans had it on full display tonight. It was dismaying for me. Disappointing. Sad. Pack mentality. It's on now...

17. Kris

The speech is finished. Did anybody else notice? She was very energized and glib as she spoke about herself , who she was and what she did. But when she switched to a discussion on energy, reliance on foreign oil and Russian pipeline diplomacy - her demeanor changed, and she looked rather shaken and uneasy, almost panicked. It was VERY noticeable that she was feeling the waters rising around her. An enlightening speech.

18. Sharon

For someone who claims to hate Hollywood, she sure looks like she's employed one heck of a lot of their expensive plastic surgeons, hair stylists and makeup artists.

So does Cindy McCain for that matter.

I've spent a lot of time in Alaska with those "hard-working" women and I'll tell you, I have yet to see one with hair and makeup like that.

Give me Hillary any day.

19. Question John McCain's Judgement

Fine she wants to attack Senators Obama and Biden, this is exactly what struggling Americans are darned tired of. The discussion should be about what you are going to do to make the lives of americans better.

I am so tired of the bickering and fighting while good people are pulled under. She may have all of the attack lines down, but it was a poor introductuction for reconciliation. Really, a good show of what to expect from her. She is self confident and cocky for a new comer.

September 3, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  20. Save Our Country

No substance at all from her! What do they really think of Americans? Do they really think Americans want to hear negative bashing all night? I want to hear how the republicans plan to turn our economy around. What a disappointment!

September 3, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  21. JSH

I wonder why none of the "GOP minders" told the boyfriend not to chew gum on national TV.

September 3, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  22. Jason, OH

After this speech, she's open bait. No crying from the Republicans when Obama/Biden treat her like a REAL candidate.

September 3, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  23. Charla in TX

She reads pretty good.....good thing for speechwriters and teleprompters!

September 3, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  24. Marie-Lynn

Right on she doesn't have any

September 3, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  25. Bill Stapp

I have tended to vote conservatively all my life. But this time, I have to vote on the record President Bush has handed to my children. As a Republican, he didn't raise taxes, he raised the national deficit and national debt. He didn't reduce government spending, it went wild. He didn't shrink government payrolls, he expanded them and went out to subcontract even more employees.

Bring back his father. I'll take the higher taxes anyday. And if his father won't run... I'll vote for Senator Obama and let him raise taxes on the wealthy.

September 3, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |