September 3rd, 2008

Schneider: Palin's no pushover

ST. PAUL (CNN) – Democrats who thought Sarah Palin would be an easy, soft target are in for a surprise: this is not a woman to be trifled with. Her opponents may have thought she’d be a deer in the headlights, like Dan Quayle. They were wrong.

(McCain’s appearance at the end of her speech wasn’t quite as surprising – that kind of pre-speech convention appearance has become almost expected.)

Here’s what Republicans got out of the evening:

1: They proved that Palin’s no pushover. They clearly established that.

2: They established a tough, even bullying tone to this night of the convention which bordered on the ugly, mocking their opponents.

3: Speakers gave strong testimony to McCain’s character.

Here’s what they didn’t accomplish: An answer to what they will do to solve this country’s economic problems. Without that, they’re not going to get anywhere.

And now it rests with McCain.

1. People make no sense

The only experience McCain has is being captured and tortured. Explain to me how was he fighting for our country while being tied up and beaten? IT is clearly on record that he spoke up and degraded America that is why his people hid his military records.

In addition, the guy who is on tape degrading, in Palin's name, the agency not getting rid of her trooper brother in law has now refused to testify, after McCains 25 lawyers went to Alaska.

If you like attacks and lies then Palin is your girl. I'm glad that I'm rich cause you poor people are going to suffer. DUMMIES!

September 3, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  2. Shirley-Ohio

Big stupid whiny speech. She trashed the media, the very people who are going to tear this speech apart and put it up on the screen (as Tim Russert) would do and say, "you said this". She gave them a lot ammunition to use against her. I cannot believe she used the bridge to nowhere when she was for it at first. She will be gone in a couple of weeks. Don't put her on too high up on the charts you will only be left down. All she gave was a speech written by someone. She is not VP material. As they all talk about Obama giving a speech, that all the republicans gave were attack speeches, but now is the time to go back to the issues the ones John McCain wants to continue from President Bush.

September 3, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  3. John Buchanan

Wow I am Blown away – NOT!!!! She gave an Empty Speech and it was full of phrases and insults...McCain is lacking judgment with his decision in choosing her as his running mate. I expected so much more. More content and more substance...I have made up my mind tonight. I will cast my Vote for Obama/Biden!!!!!

September 3, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  4. Salida

Ok.

September 3, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  5. Independent in DC

$100 says independents continue to break for Obama.

September 3, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  6. BOOTSTOMPER

They are very hateful people. Wake up america McCain looks 100 years old and she is the pta queen.

September 3, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  7. Peter

I don't get this talk from CNN. I'm laughing at this speech... this speech was horrible... and it's going to hurt McCain... so yeah, she seemed like someone who was suddenly WAY over her head.

September 3, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  8. MP

Mm, maybe not a push-over, but Palin is lying.

She ran on the 'bridge to nowhere' when she looked for support to become Governor of Alaska.

She ACCEPTED the money from the Federal Government despite what she says.

Thus – Palin is lying.

September 3, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  9. sue

A storm of media attention-when she hide out from the media for 5 days

September 3, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  10. Hillary Supporter

All they did was try to scare everyone. Where are the solutions to fix this economy?

September 3, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  11. Lee from FL

hate speech.
    we need to unite the country not divide

now i believe she fired the poor guy because he didn't want to cut her brother-in-law loose.

12. Roger from CA

OMG!!! Wolf, Anderson and co. are saying she "knocked this out of the park"??!??!?!??

Are you KIDDING? I say again, you don't HAVE to kiss the butt of everyone all the time in order to be unbiased.

This was certainly a red-meat speech that did well in the RNC room, but it was WAY TOO NEGATIVE. The mocking tone and constant dissing of Obama's community organization experience was tone deaf.

And what was with her "earnest" face? She is small-time, small-town hick

13. DNC Hates Women

Home run by Palin. Absolutely outstanding.

Clinton v. Palin in 2012, forever....Zero, never.

14. SamSunny

Sarah Palin, the seven day wonder. Before last Friday no one had heard anything of consequence about this lady other than her title of being a Governor. Now she is the rock star and savior of the Republican Party. Now that is truly amazing. A nobody comes to the rescue while the candidate can't even get traction except to say, I am a POW and you owe me the Presidency. For someone who is touting his bravery, John McCain sure does whine and cry a lot.

15. Lily

Palin came across as childish, stupid, and a bully. Not once did they prove that she was qualified for office. Not one thing was said about that. Not even by her.

16. Texas Democrat

Fantastic speech Palin, I am a democrat in Texas and I voted for Hillary and after listening to you speak I hope you win! My state will go McCain my only shot was in the primary, Obama didn't listen to 18 million democratic voters. I think McCain was brilliant in his VP pick, I hope you do well in the debates.....

17. suki

The speech only reinforced why the Democrats must win – Pailin can be dressed up and given a speecj to read and hit on the points that would make that crowd in St Paul hoot and hooler

She still has no experience and that is a dangerous mix with McCain

18. Sarah Bell, Cleveland, OH

Dick Cheney with a wig. Great. Just great.

19. John

Take away fear loathing and ignorance, and the repubs have nothing.

Disgusting.

20. Tim

She did not prove anything. She will be crushed when the ethics charges come out.

21. Tyghe from ohio

I want to know is she going to provide health care for everyone so they can take care of there special needs children. t

22. Dr. J

This woman is tragic. McCain screwed up. I am not impressed. Michelle Obama has more clout than this woman. Tragic.

23. Jon

The GOP also made sure to establish their platform that the U.S. should be a one-party state.

How un-democratic can you get?

24. David

The Republicans have thrown down the gauntlet and the Democrats must respond in kind. It was a vile night for the American people to see a party reduced, maybe even diminished, to such lows.

25. bini

so being a bully is a good thing?

1 2 3 4 5