September 3rd, 2008

Schneider: Palin's no pushover

ST. PAUL (CNN) – Democrats who thought Sarah Palin would be an easy, soft target are in for a surprise: this is not a woman to be trifled with. Her opponents may have thought she’d be a deer in the headlights, like Dan Quayle. They were wrong.

(McCain’s appearance at the end of her speech wasn’t quite as surprising – that kind of pre-speech convention appearance has become almost expected.)

Here’s what Republicans got out of the evening:

1: They proved that Palin’s no pushover. They clearly established that.

2: They established a tough, even bullying tone to this night of the convention which bordered on the ugly, mocking their opponents.

3: Speakers gave strong testimony to McCain’s character.

Here’s what they didn’t accomplish: An answer to what they will do to solve this country’s economic problems. Without that, they’re not going to get anywhere.

And now it rests with McCain.

1. Remember, remember

the mess left to us, in November

These folks are......nuts!?

These people are not leaders..........they're not acting like leaders (except Huckabee) ............I dont know what they are, what they're saying or trying to say.....contradictions or insults seem to be their red meat

definitley not the right choice right now

Obam/Biden

Or Ron Paul

"the republican party is presently unsafe at any speed"......seriously

2. Honest Abe

Dumb – Dumber and Cindy McCain

3. Silky Terrier K

That was the worst performance I have every witnessed. She came off as a snotty, shallow, mean spirited woman. She won't be representing me in the future. She ia ugly as they get. If she is all the GOP can come up with they are in sorry shape. She read the speech poorly-without conviction. What a bust!

4. Carol Michigan

I tried to listen to her. I really did. But that screeching voice makes the hair on my back stand up.

5. randy

Brilliant. Give us a flawed person for vice president. Lower expectations by hiding the candidate. Have your opponents call for "hands off the poor woman". Then make her the attack dog.

I'm not sure the American people will buy the fact that this is really who she is, because this is the first time she's made any speech in front of the nation.

But because the media has been so good at questioning her background, and airing her "dirty laundry", they will have to be nice for a minute....

Brilliant.

6. Mike from CA

Another disgusting performance by the morally bankrupt republicans. I saw nothing strong about her just the same old polltics of division.

7. Republicans for Truth

Yes, she is stupid. It took her two full days to write a idiotic speech and so many people coached and prayed that she doesn't blow it, yet she did ... not a single solution to American people problems. She totally doesn't get it and wrong for America

8. Oregon here

Now who needs a teleprompter? Please............ this person is not for our RIGHTS! She, with her husband, wanted Alaska to part from the union and become it's own nation. I did not feel any excitement.

Obama / Biden 08

9. Muffie in New York State

Rest in Peace Clara Peller – WHERE's THE BEEF??!! If this is all they have to say, then it's time for Grandpa McCain and his sponge nurse to say GOOD NIGHT. I'm cringing for the republicans if this is the BEST they can do! For Shame McSame you sold out your party BIG TIME

10. georgia

And she brings moral examples that match McCains also.
    Good speech but many skeltons in the closet yet.

11. Ms. RDS

I'm glad she decided to come out throwing jabs...so I don't wanna here any whinning when the Dems start throwing them back! I'm fired up and ready. All the lies she told on that stage is staggering!

12. Ted

She's also barely an American.

13. Sherry, Atlanta

INTERESTING, HOW PALIN TOOK SO MANY SHOT'S. . . WHEN SHE HAS MORE BAGGAGE, THAN A 'GROCERY STORE'!

14. Josh from DC

Is anyone else bothered that she accepted a role she hasnt been nominated to yet? She was mean without merit. Moreover, she had 40 minutes to give a plan of how to fix the problems of this country that she squandered with one liners and silly insults. She even mentioned that the McCain administration would move forward on wind, solar, and alternative fuels. So why does he keep voting against them??? Offensive...period

15. Coach K

Bill .. please don't stop doing this job. You are so correct. Sarah Palin will be an effective attack dog. I for one who was unsure about who I was going to vote for now will vote Obama/Biden. The GOP used this night to make me, an independent voter, feel like I'm a nobody. They insulted my intelligence by trying to convince me Sarah Palin is ready to be VP because she has more executive experience than Obama. They are trying to make this election about whether Obama is ready to lead but gave me NOTHING that would make me believe they are.

16. OBAMA/BIDEN '08

NO ONE from McInsane's camp called to vett this woman according to the locals in Anchorage. It's his own fault – he didn't vett her in private now the media is going to vett her in public.

Then she wants to cry PRIVACY one day, but use her daughter’s shotgun groom meeting McCain as a PHOTO OPT the next. You can't have it both ways Sarah.

17. AmericaAgainstScareTactics

This woman scares me...

Michelle is 1 Million times the woman that she'll ever be. What a joke of a convention. Where's the solutions or the substance?

It's a Bash Obama Convention.

18. Charles Gifford

I'm comforted with the fact that Bill Schneider is rarely right and clearly biased.

19. Ian MacIsaac

This bullying tone isn't going to get them anywhere past the base.

20. dddeee

really cnn you guys are bipolar her speach was more of the same republican smear ive heard all this time.

21. Jacob

Sarah Palin represents the strong family values that America needs. So good to see her whole beautiful family–especially the infant.

22. Repugs are Whining? how ironic

As the McCain camp has repeatedly said, good speeches are no substitute for real leadership. Is anyone really buying this "Palin has experience" malarky?

23. Lily

95% of the speech was making fun of Obama....another republican with the old same tricks....If this is the future of this country...OMG

24. george

OOOOOH cnn commanded whoever this shill "schneider" guy is to write 1 semi-positive fake article about the GOP convention. too bad they let him run insane posting over a DOZEN articles in the last hour about how much he, CNN, and the media love their messiah. literally, the entire ticker is clouded with obamabot posts from this "schneider" guy – and the kicker is CNN closed the comments after only 10 or 12 obamaniac posts! how hollow.
    but you know that no CNN moderator will allow this comment to get through.

September 3, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  25. Clinton voter for Palin!

A political star was born this evening. I'm in awe. And I;m on board!

1 2 3 4 5