September 3rd, 2008

T. Boone Pickens on what Palin needs to do tonight

Oilman T. Boone Pickens spoke to CNN.
Oilman T. Boone Pickens spoke to CNN.

ST PAUL (CNN) –- John McCain’s running mate Sarah Palin needs to “portray herself as a leader” Wednesday night, if she does that, “she is going to be very popular,” Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens said in a CNN interview inside the Xcel Energy Center at the Republican National Convention.

Pickens – fresh off a visit to the Democratic National Convention – was in St. Paul on Wednesday to push what he modestly calls the Pickens Plan, a scheme to wean the United States off imported oil and instead rely more on renewable energy resources.

“I have a story to tell. My story is the Pickens Plan and that is the plan for energy for America,” he said of his Minnesota visit.

Pickens is particularly interested in hearing what Senator McCain has to say about energy in his address Thursday night.

In 2004, Pickens was among the highest-profile supporters of Swift Boat Veterans and POWs for Truth, giving $1 million to the group that savaged Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry's war record.

He contributed $2.5 million the same year to the Progress for America voter fund, a group closely linked to President Bush and the Republican National Committee, and tens of thousands of dollars to individual Republican candidates for Congress, according to Federal Election Commission filings.

But Pickens says he isn’t taking sides this election and doesn’t haven’t an opinion about which presidential candidate would do a better job of decreasing American dependence on foreign oil.

“I am totally non-partisan in this race,” he said, adding that “both parties are going to have to work like hell” if they want to take the White House in November.

1. ken

I think she thinks she is Tina Fey doing SNL's Weekend Update. I almost feel bad for the Republicans, ALMOST!!!

Oh and by the way, enough already with the Sarah Barracuda title. So she was competitive on her high school basketball team. Since when did getting a cute nickname for being a competitive high school athlete translate to being Vice President? Enough!!!

*Obama/Biden 08*

September 3, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  2. LOVING OBAMA

Well if McCain thinks Sarah can do it for him, then he need to go on to the retirement home now.lol Because her speech sucked like a rotten egg.

September 3, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  3. Tom

Yep, nothing can get the Republicans going like fear, attacks and hatred.

Palin did very well with all three.

September 3, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  4. Gerry in Virginia

WOOOOPPPPSS.... HEY CNN....DID YOU HEAR HER COMMENTS ON YOU THE MEDIA? SHE DON'T LIKE YOU .... SOUNDS LIKE THE BUSH FOLKS WILL STILL BE IN OFFICE IF MC CAIN IS ELECTED.. LOOKS LIKE CHENEY WILL BE IN OFFICE IF MS. PALIN GOES ALONG WITH HIM....

HEAVEN HELP US....

September 3, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  5. Deborah

Mcain just did a Barack coming out on the stage. He's a turtle!

September 3, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  6. Jim

I'm watching this whole thing, flipping back and forth from channels trying to say away but out of curiousity coming back. Honest to god I am...just...i can't put it into words...these people scare the hell out of me.

They are twisted, so brainwashed it's downright scary...I've never in my life imagined people in America could be so brainwashed, this is just freakish. November can't come soon enough but if this goes on I'm going to puke.

September 3, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  7. NOT THIS TIME

Hate, Lies & Smears won't work this time.
    To say our Country is not a country of HOPE, you are mistaken!!!

Eight is Enough

September 3, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  8. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

Carol

She vetoed "BEER"

To learn more about Sarah Palin........google.......the daily dish by Andrew Sullivan...........

BARACK, THE GLOVES ARE OFF!

IT IS PAYBACK TIME!

September 3, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  9. billie

I found the whole evening disrespectful. They were hateful and petty – not on issue, just focused on belittling Obama. I am not interested in having such juveniles in office.

September 3, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  10. Woman Disgusted

She gave us a kindergarten joke what's the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull=lipstick. The GOPers had buttons that said that "They are voting for the hot chick".

And Biden is sexist!!!!!!!!!

Only at the GOP convention can sex outside of marriage, community involvement, and whole hell the whole kit and kaboodle of Golden Rules and Christianity.

September 3, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  11. We need Obama Biden!

Yeah, she portrayed herself as a leader...a cheerleader! All she did was introduce her family, take shots at her opponents, and talk about John McCain. She never gave any of her views on issues like the economy, health care, and oh yeah um abortion! She still sounds like she's answering questions in a beauty pageant or she should have a brick wall in the back of her with a mic in her hand. There was no credit to her opponents for anything and showed no indications on how she will try to work with other people. Since when is being a community organizer to try to help people less fortunate a bad thing?

September 3, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  12. Lee

Palin is incorrect on several items:

- Just because I do not believe in a misguided war does not mean I have given up on America. I do not believe we are close to winning. . . I believe CHINA has won based on the new deal they won with Iraq earlier this week. . . oh, and a little company with close ties to the Republican Party – Haliburton.
    - The research I've done on that "Bridge to Nowhere" is that Palin finally decided against it because she wanted MORE money, not less. I can't find a record of the "no thanks" that she is professing.
    - Sarah Palin believes a woman can walk through any door, but God forbid that she can make a personal decision about her body and something like abortion that needs personal thought.

My observation of the RNC is that it looks like an elitist, hate-filled, judgmental group of people. I know many Republicans and I'm sure they don't mean the way it sounds.

Bottom Line: Palin is NO HILLARY CLINTON. I so admire Hillary, and am very sad how we have treated her and Bill this year. She cannot sway my vote. It feels like the "real" old Republican Party which is separatist and closed. After 8 years, I want Change. This is the Party that has led the Country to where we are today. McCain has been right there the whole time. I am not thrilled by either choice, but the lesser of the evils is Obama. I love AMERICA!

September 3, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  13. monica

Why is CNN closing the blogs so early tonight????????? People have things to say and they are purposely closing comments early and permalinking stories as soon as they are posted......please CNN if you are going to play the game, play fair!!!

Obama/Biden 08/12

September 3, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  14. Cathy

Sarah Palin.......I AM NOT IMPRESSED! Just more of the same racist politics this country has had for years. I can't wait to cast my vote for Senator Barack Obama.

September 3, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  15. MikeH

I want to hear about Sarah's extramarital affair with a snowmobile racer, who claims to have fathered on of Sarah's kids.

Hey, The National Enquirere outed John Edwards, lets see what they can do for Sarah.

September 3, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  16. used to be a republican untill Bush and McCain

Who owns the pipeline in Alaska soon to open? Bush Family? Halliburton? John McCain. Sarah Palin? She reminds me of my ex wife and allot of attractive women in the worlds oldest profession, talk out of both side of her mouth, Lying out of one side to gain profit and fame and screaming out of the other. Was Reagan ever a Governor? Didn’t New York just have a maverick Governor?

September 3, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  17. Democrat Abroad looking for GOP beef

Where's the beef? Pickens has to be thinking "What the dickens?" When the GOP chants "Drill, Drill, Drill." Alex talks of the GOP being most "macho," we'll I'm living in a Latin country and macho isn't necessarily the best analogy for leadership, good judgement, and judicious use of power. Dems know the Energy issue is the World's Security issue that you cannot delink and be "macho" about.

September 3, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  18. Jay

Did anyone even mention about all those thousands of lives that we have lost in Afganistan and Iraq defending America? Seems McCain already did for all of them in Vietnam.

Shamefull indeed. These Republicans are all morons !!

September 3, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |