September 3rd, 2008

T. Boone Pickens on what Palin needs to do tonight

Oilman T. Boone Pickens spoke to CNN.
Oilman T. Boone Pickens spoke to CNN.

ST PAUL (CNN) –- John McCain’s running mate Sarah Palin needs to “portray herself as a leader” Wednesday night, if she does that, “she is going to be very popular,” Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens said in a CNN interview inside the Xcel Energy Center at the Republican National Convention.

Pickens – fresh off a visit to the Democratic National Convention – was in St. Paul on Wednesday to push what he modestly calls the Pickens Plan, a scheme to wean the United States off imported oil and instead rely more on renewable energy resources.

“I have a story to tell. My story is the Pickens Plan and that is the plan for energy for America,” he said of his Minnesota visit.

Pickens is particularly interested in hearing what Senator McCain has to say about energy in his address Thursday night.

In 2004, Pickens was among the highest-profile supporters of Swift Boat Veterans and POWs for Truth, giving $1 million to the group that savaged Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry's war record.

He contributed $2.5 million the same year to the Progress for America voter fund, a group closely linked to President Bush and the Republican National Committee, and tens of thousands of dollars to individual Republican candidates for Congress, according to Federal Election Commission filings.

But Pickens says he isn’t taking sides this election and doesn’t haven’t an opinion about which presidential candidate would do a better job of decreasing American dependence on foreign oil.

“I am totally non-partisan in this race,” he said, adding that “both parties are going to have to work like hell” if they want to take the White House in November.

1. lisa

why does palin say she took on big oil when her husband works for an oil company and she promotes DRILLING IN ALASKA and her state is flooded with oil funds? Explain...please...
    she supported the bridge to nowhere before it became unpopular...
    stop the lies!!

September 3, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  2. Nevada dude

she failed to present herself as a leader. she presented herself off as a old style gop partisan.

and she lied about the bridge to no where!!! she canceled the bridge but took the money!!!

September 3, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  3. Scott

I don't trust this guy. He reminds me of the bubble guy from the movie Contact.

September 3, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  4. Sheryl

Despite the fact that I really wanted to give Sarah Palin a chance, to really try and hear what she has to say...I'm experiencing major difficulty. Is this a pep rally, hockey game, or a very serious political event where she needs to demonstrate experience and leadership? Between the pit bull with lipstick joke and the constant head tossing and nose-wrinkling sneers (what is she doing anyway??), I can't focus on what she's saying, because I keep expecting her to actually utter a growl. Her attitude and tone are in perfect keeping with the mean mockery of the night. I can't believe he chose her over Huckabee. At least he knows how to speak in public.

September 3, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  5. Kevin

I really feel Giuliani speech was degrading to ALL Americans. The nasty attacks coming from a man who can't keep his pete* inside his zipper is very credible. Republicans claim to be a party of morals and standards but Giuliani wasn't satisfied with the woman he said vows to before God and had an AFFAIR. I guess that's the USA way?? Come on Republicans!

September 3, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  6. seah

She Shall do exactly that.

What Palin needs is the media to be fair and unbiased.

Up to this point in the Election Obama has got a free ride, and all fluff. His opponents have been dragged over the coals.

It would be nice to see real reporting again.

September 3, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  7. Ryan

The Republicans are PATHETIC. They call for bi-partisanship and cooperation, but then insult the other party by claiming that democrats are un – american and alien. Giuliana's attack was ugly, bitter and sad. The Republicans are stooping to new lows, something I never thought was possible. He acts as if Obama attacked Palin, when he's barely said a paragraph about her situation. In fact, he says that they should "lay off her family."

Romney went so low to attack Obama's wife. WOW. Couldn't find anything better to say Mitty boy? And he talks about the Eastern Elite, a club he's proudly part of. Oh and by the way, Illinois isn't a North Eastern state, it's Midwestern.

Ugly and bitter were the two words that describe these two days.

September 3, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  8. Kendall

Im listening to Palin, she's a puppet, beware of people that will say anything to get power. Pickens shows that he is more open to other alternative sources, both candidates appear to want the same, but i don't think drilling in my country is the best,

23 yr old male
    love America, Love our planet

September 3, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  9. texas DEM

sarah palin.. you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 3, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  10. razzle

Sarah Palin needs to not listen to B. Pickens. I guess he is staying neutral out of humilation for supporting such as inept leader like Bush.

September 3, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  11. Steve - southern Illinois

If Hillary Clinton didn't have a reason to support Barack Obama for President she does now. I can only imagine how she must feel thinking that Sarah Palin could get a back door into the Presidency.

September 3, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  12. Rick

If Sarah Palin's speech tonight is a preview of what is to come, she should have no trouble pushing McCain over the top. Can I vote for her for President? Barack Who?

September 3, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  13. DA

She might as well get ready for the onslaught of things coming out on her by the Democrats. By the end of the week all kinds of things will be out on her. She offended the media and you know they don't take to kindly to what she said. The Enquirer is already reporting she has had and affair. Now some of you might laugh at that but we all know that the Enquirer puts it out there and then all the others media follows their lead. She is done!!! LOL

September 3, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  14. Steve, Chelsea, MI

Yes, let's invest in alternative energy, including wind.

But not on your land, where you'll be making even more money.

September 3, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  15. Rochelle

What, she has no experience, no caring for family values, the health of the USA is truly in a fix if Palin/Mcshame are elected. If she cares nothing for her own DS child what will she think about Americans, (absolutely nothing)! She leaves her family so much theres sickness, pregnancy and a host of other things going on here. She can't monitor her house let alone the USA. This is too scary for me. I was a Republican but, I'm in another party and I'm not sure who I'll vote for but for certain it won't be McShame/Palin. This campaign is palin (in color) compared to the Independents and Dems and the green party. At least I do have a choice and it won't be Republican.

September 3, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  16. Lance

Sarah Palin is an unpatriotic secessionist pretending to be a v.p.

Go back to burning flags with your Alaska First buddies Sarah.

September 3, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  17. BJ

Palin is a weak vice-president selection and does not seem believable and could not run the country if John McCain was not able to. Her speech is very weak and will not survive outside Alaska. Her attacks on Barack Obama is funny because she has never done anything of significance yet. She talks about serving the American people but when I look at her and the 30,000 people in St. Paul, there are no minorities in the crowd. Last time I seen statistics, white america is shrinking and US is becoming more of a melting pot. How can she represent us when she has no clue of supporting minorities of all types. What is her foreign experience? Please help me understand why I should believe her as a VP or a future President of the US.

September 3, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Wow. After Barack Obama and campaign specifically went out of their way to demonstrate courtesy and respect for Sarah Palin and her family, and demand the same of everyone else, she stood there and mocked him for laughs with half-truths and an outright mean spirit. Obviously, respect is not one of the abundant resources in Alaska, nor even in Palin's own family. She's closer to the animal she mentioned than we thought.

September 3, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  19. Tracy

Drill! Drill! Drill!!!

Drill NOW!!!

September 3, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  20. Carol

They wrote a good Republican speech for you Palin. All I've heard is the typical Republican attacks and nothing about how she will help the economy.

Of course I did hear about her veto power: She didnt tell them about what she vetoed.

Funds for education, alternative fuel exploration, senior citizens programs, healthcare, unwed teen program funding, environmental protection, etc etc.

She vetoed a lot alright, check it out. It's nice to know that you think you know more than T Boone Pickens about oil.

I'm amazed that she can spew out outright lies and falsehoods and these people will believe it lock stock and barrel without even looking into it.

No wonder we have had eight years of Bush.

September 3, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  21. Bill King - Seattle, WA

This woman is a complete joke, with zero credibility and less qualifications, and even the Republican elites think so as evidenced by the off-mic commentary published earlier today.

And yes, I supported a *QUALIFIED* woman for President.

September 3, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  22. Lisa from VA

Is it just me or does her speech suck? I was trying to be unbiased but I find her impossible to watch. I'm bored...I can't keep up...just waiting for it to finally be over. Hillary Clinton blew Sarah Palin out of the water with her speech. Maybe thats why this is so hard to watch. I can't help but compare. Its kindof like a train wreck unfortunately.

September 3, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  23. Paula

She's just as cute as she can be...no brains but does says what she is told.

September 3, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  24. chuck h

Who cares about his opinion!!!

September 3, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  25. Honest Abe

Palin sounds like she doesn't know much about anything! What do you expect from someone with a B.A,.in Communications from Idaho?
    SHE NEEDS TO TAKE A GOVERNMENT 101 TEST RIGHT NOW. I bet she'd get like a C- or a D. She's outright ignorant. Her speech had no substance – NO ISSUES!

September 3, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |