September 4th, 2008

After Palin speech, Obama has record $10 million day

Sen. Obama spoke about change in Pennsylvania Thursday.
Sen. Obama spoke about change in Pennsylvania Thursday.

(CNN) – Barack Obama's campaign for president has raised $10 million since Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin spoke Wednesday night, the campaign announced, calling it a "one-day record."

Palin, the governor of Alaska, launched harsh attacks on Obama, accusing him of being two-faced and a political lightweight with no significant legislative accomplishments.

"Coverage of the Palin attacks on the news this evening just pushed us over $10 million," Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in an e-mail to reporters Wednesday night.

The Republican Party announced earlier in the day it had raised $1 million in the wake of Palin's speech.

(Update with new fundraising total)

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Obama 08: 60, white, female.

At an event Palin again dissed community organizers through demeaning Obama's experience in Chicago and his ability to lead; then she asked for money by falsely claiming Obama was dissing her family and her experience. She is also avoiding the press.

Reading a prepared speech is easy; facing the media makes a candidate address the issues. Why would anyone vote for someone who does not want to be forthright and honest with the public?? She has many questions to answer which she isn't doing with her false claims both about her experience and about Obama and his policies.

September 4, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  2. SEB

I was part of that $10M! Actually, I donated twice last night-once 'cause she p!$$d me off and the other for good measure! GOBAMA '08!

September 4, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  3. Sad Day for Christian Women

I am part of the $10 milltion raised for Barack Obama after Sarah Palin's speech. How disappointing for me as a Christian woman to see this woman as an example of how we are to conduct ourselves as a member of Christ's church. The entire speech was full of sarcasm, hate-speech and vicious attacks. Sarah's job last night was to introduce herself to the public and if this is "Sarah"....I want nothing to do with her and don't want her standing as an example of those of us who believe in God's loving spirit. I have no problem with her defending herself, but last night was not the time to do it. She shoudl have first introduced herself and THEN scheduled some great prime-time interviews (we all know that every network would want to talk to her!) to try to defend herself against the allegations being levied at her. Thank God for Barack and Biden taking the high road. They have my vote and I will work vehemently to bring other Christians along to vote for them as well.

September 4, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  4. Yakoto

Really, these are signs of great change to come

September 4, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  5. Michele

I was one of them and I only gave $10. After seeing the viciousness of the Republicans, I became literally terrified that they would once again hijack this country through fear mongering and divisiveness. I will give another $10 tonight after seeing the way they are abusing the tragedy of 911. You know I work in Times Square and most of those people weren't even there!!! They didn't see the towers fall or smell the stench of dead bodies and burning buildings for days and days!! Then we heard all this BS about how Bush was going to get Bin Laden and he did NOTHING!!! NOTHING!!! He trumped up this war against the people of Iraq and lost over 4,000 American troops and the respect of the world. I am sitting here in tears after seeing those images again and having them used against people who believe in peace and want the true American values of integrity and real leadership restored!! Giuliani should burn in hell for his exploitation of 911. This convention is hateful, mean spirited and spits on the memory of all who lost their lives and those of us who ACTUALLY witnessed the tragedy. I am 1000 times more afraid of McCain and now Palin than I am of any terrorist!! Save America!! Don't let these people near the White House!!

September 4, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  6. Tony

Republicans Please Continue Attacking!!!!!!!!!!!

Energize the rest of us even more! Now that the old tired strategy of Rove has failed, what's next? You can't talk the issues because that won't work..

September 4, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  7. David

$50 well spent. And you can expect another $50 tomorrow. And more to come after that.

September 4, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  8. Joe

Just donated $25.

September 4, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  9. Mary Garlick

I was one too – can't bear to think of a moose-skinning, pitbull, snowmobile fan, redneck in the oval office. Jackie must be turning over in her grave.

September 4, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  10. freshdem15

MC same campaign after pitbull Palin speech 1 million

Obama campaign after pitbull Palin speech 10 million

My childrens futures Priceless

whatever it takes to donte to keep our kids futures bright !!!

Let's donate again everyone, Donate for change

Vote Obama/Biden

September 4, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  11. donald

I would support Obama anyday. I wouldn't give McLame or what's her name anything.

September 4, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  12. Independent

I donated for the first time ever in a political campaign to Barack Obama right after Sarah Palin's speech. How divisive it was for all of the American people.

September 4, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  13. Debby

He raised 10 mill but he is down in the polls just from yesterday. Votes win elections.

September 4, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  14. April in Texas

Seems her comment about community organizers inspired many to donate to Obama! Thanks Sarah Palin.. Go ahead and inspire us more and we will show you what organizers really can do.. In fack that goes to the entire RNC.. You inspire us to do great things.

Obama/Biden 08

September 4, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  15. Champagne Socialists Beware

Why did you leftie statists give so much $ today? Because you're terrified.

Go, Sarah, Go!

September 4, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  16. Steve

Raising the most money does not guarantee ANYONE a win in November. You all act as if the money count determines the new president! They are not contestants on Jepoardy! !

Apparently CNN only lets 1 out of every 25 anti-Obama comments actually get posted, so you will never see this anyways.

September 4, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  17. Republican NOT voting for McCain/Palin

Congratulations Barack Obama.

I made another donation. I'm part of the $10 million.

Barack/Joe cares about all the people and our lives.

Obama/Biden

September 4, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  18. Nicole , Portland, OR

Keep on talking Sarah....WOW!!! Dems are pissed now....

September 4, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  19. Rubie- VA

I agree with Poetic Justice – Well Said!

September 4, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  20. Deanna-California

I'm 50 years old, hispanic woman, and now I was demoted at work, with a large pay cut, a promotion I worked 20 years for, because our county made drastic cuts, so I donated a few dollars to Obama, I'm working for less pay, and worried about my family and home.. but I'm supporting Obama!

I will never fall for another looser! McCain/Palin are offering nothing to the American People, just words, cheap Karl Rove words, cheap Bush speechwriters, and the wanna-be-VP Palin is only window dressing for McCain, to prove he has nothing to offer. I will continue to give Obama my money, because I believe his vision, at least he has one....

September 4, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  21. SkipVT

I've been depressed by the news all day today. Palin is a horror. Of the myriad reasons I have to find her distasteful, her blatantly disrespectful and mean-spirited message only serve to reinforce that she has no substance, and must rely solely on her very clear talent to be unkind.

I donated to the Obama campaign today for the second time, and I'll do it again every payday until the election. As a public school system employee, it's not like I've got it to burn, but we have got to be united.

Yes we can, friends. Come on Hillary... come out swinging and knock this freshman all the way back to Wasilla.

Go Obama/Biden!

September 4, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  22. Hockey Player

Q: What's the difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom?
    A: Nothing. They both bite.

Q: What's the difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom?
    A: The pit bull smells better.

But seriously folks, with that comment Ms. "Foreign Policy" Palin managed to tick off most of the mothers in the foreign (and most friendly) country closest to her home: Canada.

I know hockey Moms and she's no "hockey Mom".

September 4, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  23. tracey b

Just sent in another $30. I am a woman, and Palin is scary. I have always been for Obama, but I think Hillary and Bill gave great speeches at the convention – well done. Now Hillary, go get this gal – Sarah Palin is NO Hillary Clinton!

Go Barack. Take this country back!

September 4, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  24. john

people thinking when u donation to obama after he be president all of you will millioner and everything free, LOL ...thats look like clintons promises since 20 years ago..sucker

September 4, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  25. Will

Obama shot 7 points after Palin was announced as VP.

September 4, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |