September 4th, 2008

Biden lowers expectations in upcoming debate against Palin

Sen. Biden said Thursday that Republicans are distorting Sen. Obama's record.
Sen. Biden said Thursday that Republicans are distorting Sen. Obama's record.

VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia (CNN) - Joe Biden warned supporters Thursday not to expect him to unleash “one-line zingers” in his debates with GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin — even if she does.

“I will be unrelenting in my debate with governor, the governor of Alaska in terms of the positions she has taken,” Biden said. “But I will not do what she is able to do so well, and many others–not bad. I am not good at the one-line zingers that go at, you know, that’s not my deal. So if that is going to be the measure of how these debates go, then I’m not going to do very well.”

Palin attacked the Democratic ticket in her speech to the Republican National Convention Wednesday, belittling Obama’s experience and charging he cares more about his career than about achieving victory in Iraq.

Biden broadly condemned “distortions” from Republican opponents at a campaign event Thursday, but took only a veiled swipe at Palin.

“[You’re] seeing distortions from opponents — this thing of 'country first,' this awful line about Barack Obama being more concerned about his career than winning a war,” Biden said. “I thought we were beyond that.”

A voter in the audience asked the Democratic senator to “please promise us that you will go at her” when the two candidates meet at a debate in October.

Biden warned her she might be disappointed, but promised to press Palin on the issues.

“If that is the measure of the debates are, me stating forthrightly about me and Barack Obama and what we’ll do to change the country, I think you’ll be proud. At least I hope you will,” he said.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. Christine

I so agree with Michael on SP's comment on children with special needs and their parents. I've worked with families and children w/special health needs for years! This woman know nothing of caring for a child w/sp. health needs. She went back to work 3 DAYS AFTER GIVING BIRTH. Any child needs healthy bonding time, particularly a child with sp. health needs. We never even saw her touch her son during her first two days of introductions to the public! Then, to literally use him as a shield on her daughter's chest was unspeakable. Really, the noise at that convention hall was no place for an infant! I'm so sorry for her. She should be out of this limelight very soon! Mr. Biden, don't be too easy on her – afterall, she is a barracuda!

September 4, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. TM in CO

Dignity and respect. Something the Repulican party knows nothing about. Stick to the issues Joe. She doesn't seem to have a clue about what this country really needs.........................

September 4, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. Liliana, FL

Biden = weak

Obama = weak

No place for weak attitude in the White House!

Nobama 08

September 4, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  4. Maggie

Hey, are they going to wire her up like they did Bush in his debates? If you're too dumb to debate, cheat. That's the republican way. I put her below the intellectual capacity of Bush – if thats possible – I don't care how quick a study she may be, you can't match 30+ years experience on the issues like biden has. So, look for the box on her back.

September 4, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  5. Ann, California

Obama needs to continue doing what he is doing and then some. Biden should come out strong against this kind of rhetoric as he has and Obama should name his cabinet. This will put the GOP back on hush mode.

September 4, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  6. Richard Morgan

Ah once again, what is so wrong about being a community organizer?

I'm going to start making popcorn right now. This is going to be sixty odd days of bizarre lunacy. The american people get what they deserve and it seems the rest of the world pays for it.

September 4, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  7. Bonita

wow....what a hateful woman! Did her speechwriters tell her to act like that? Who is she ticked off at? What is she afraid of? I felt like I was being told off.......what a joke she is!

I also think it is pathetic the way the boyfriend of her pregnant daughter was on camera constantly....does he realize how is he being USED by the Repugs???? USED!!! USED!!!! If I had been his mother I would not have allowed him to travel to the convention to be a pawn for the election. Sad Sad!

After watching about 15 minutes of her rant, I had to leave to room....Does she think she is at the TOP of the ticket? It was funny watching all the little "dittoheads" in the audience going crazy when she was speaking....robots all of them! What a sick, divisive, angry, revengeful, hateful party the Repugs have gotten to be. I have had enough of this crap for the last 8 years. As Obama says....ENOUGH!

September 4, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  8. Keisha - Atlanta

I have total confidence in Biden and the Democratic ticket overall when it comes to the debates. The republicans are always doing the same old stuff and we don't want another 4 years of that... When it comes to the real issues, those tactics just won't stand up!

September 4, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  9. IAMWMD

I agree that Palin came out like mangy repug pit which doesn't stand a chance during a debate with our fighting Akita.

Sooooo, stick a fork in the repug because she's done.

Obama/Biden 08

September 4, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  10. Sky

Ideology to me means character of a individual, group or culture. Well lets see If I was going to judge a person by his character Obama's character fits in with the father most Aferican Americans never had. Responsible, understanding, Smart and Loves his family. Commited to doing what it takes to acheive his goals. No limitations and will go beyound expatiation to making mistakes and recognizing those mistakes as a man. It's seem to me that a man with those kinds of convictions schould be APPLAUDED. Obama chose to go to school and graduate with honors and turn down a multi million dollar career, Wall Street, Hardvard, law firms ect...

September 4, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  11. Virginian

Palin said community organizers do not have "actual responsibilities". That's a slam in my book. Her remarks followed followed Rudy Giuliani's derisive laughter at community organizers, when he mentioned Obama's work as one, then said "what?" as if he'd said "scrapbook organizer", and laughed as the convention attendees laughed with him in their ridicule of such a thing. I don't expect many community-minded people will be voting McCain this year.

September 4, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  12. Sheri

To me personally speaking she acted like a sarcastic B@%ch

September 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  13. heartlight 3, Maui, HI

I listened to the speech while I was reading the transcript of the prepared speech. She read it word for word except for the pit bull remark. That was not in the prepared speech.

The result of this election will tell the world whether America elects their leaders based on who is the nastiest and most vicious, or who is the smartest.

September 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  14. SJC

I don't know who will win the debate but what I do know is that so far Biden has handled himself with grace and poise. I was hoping Palin would do the same but last night she came across as a mindless attack dog with no ideas. This was her first appearance to an American audience and she showed that all she's good for is delivering ridicule and idiotic mockery. If she had been well know it would have been more palatable but being a newcomer she was obnoxious. Sure the people there loved her but they would have cheered a barking dog.

September 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. Bruce in Omaha

Define "victory in Iraq"? As a veteran of the first Gulf War, I have my own opinion of what victory in Iraq truly is. When the Republican ticket chides out victory in Iraq it seems sort of condescending because they have yet to speak of their definition of victory. They keep talking about it but they have yet to lay out their plan for victory.

September 4, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  16. Independent Dave

She is so cute! I especially liked the way she wagged her little finger as she chastised the media. That was really sweet! I just want to give her a big ol hug! Golly!

September 4, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  17. Jeff

It's very difficult to take any Democrat seriously at this point. There is this HUGE double standard that people seem so willing to ignore. Last week, CNN posted articles about Joe Biden going on the attack against McCain and Republicans during the DNC, and what did the comments say? 'Go Joe!', 'Yeah Biden!', "There's our pitbull!'. NOW you same people turn around and use the same word - pitbull in a derogatory way. It upsets you that Palin did what you praised Biden last week for doing.

And let's talk about style over substance. I can't remember the last commercial from the Obama camp that didn't say "McCain...more of the same.' What about that message, which is the the seeming cornerstone of Obama's campaign, says anything constructive regarding what Democrats will do if Obama is elected to office?

September 4, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  18. Carrie

Though it would be entertaining to see Biden lash out at Palin, I think it's important for him to hold back. Why should Democrats stoop to the low levels of the desperate and distorted Republicans?

September 4, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |