September 4th, 2008

Biden lowers expectations in upcoming debate against Palin

Sen. Biden said Thursday that Republicans are distorting Sen. Obama's record.
Sen. Biden said Thursday that Republicans are distorting Sen. Obama's record.

VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia (CNN) - Joe Biden warned supporters Thursday not to expect him to unleash “one-line zingers” in his debates with GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin — even if she does.

“I will be unrelenting in my debate with governor, the governor of Alaska in terms of the positions she has taken,” Biden said. “But I will not do what she is able to do so well, and many others–not bad. I am not good at the one-line zingers that go at, you know, that’s not my deal. So if that is going to be the measure of how these debates go, then I’m not going to do very well.”

Palin attacked the Democratic ticket in her speech to the Republican National Convention Wednesday, belittling Obama’s experience and charging he cares more about his career than about achieving victory in Iraq.

A voter in the audience asked the Democratic senator to “please promise us that you will go at her” when the two candidates meet at a debate in October.

Biden warned her she might be disappointed, but promised to press Palin on the issues.

“If that is the measure of the debates are, me stating forthrightly about me and Barack Obama and what we’ll do to change the country, I think you’ll be proud. At least I hope you will,” he said.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. a d

PS. Palin and others were not distorting BO's record of accomplishments. They can't, because he does not have a discernible record of any noteworthy accomplishments.

September 4, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  2. Frank, Missouri

She is pitbull all right – and a redneck too (not to insult the rednecks). It's sad to see that our educational level as a nation is so low that individuals like Palin have such a platform for their hate speeches.

September 4, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. who wrote her speech?

There was a flutter of attention when McCain campaign manager Rick Davis told a group of Post reporters and editors yesterday that his team was having to rework the vice presidential acceptance speech because the original draft, prepared before Gov. Sarah Palin was chosen, was too “masculine.” While we all wondered to ourselves what might make a speech masculine or feminine, no one batted an eye at the underlying revelation: that the campaign was writing the nominee’s speech before knowing who the nominee would be.

September 4, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. Teresa

Can we get to the debate before we start to throw mud? If I read both candidates correctly both are pushing for more government activity in my life...one may limit my rights as a woman and the other is going to affect my bottom line via taxes. I guess I have to choose between my rights or my pocketbook!

September 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  5. no trickle down...

Palin is an empty oil can with a couple of spent gun cartridges inside.

When she rattles around she makes a big noise,
    but has nothing to offer, and is completely useless.

If she pulls that angry smirky stuff in the debate, she's gonna look bad.

September 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. Mark Jones

The Republicans are praying this Alaskan Penguin doesn't turn into a Quale!!!!

September 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  7. rightytighty

We are already expecting a dumbed down debate for this blowharded doofus. How much lower should we go Joe??

September 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  8. EMPTY SKIRT

That entire evening was the most revolting dsiplay of hatred I have seen by her(I will dignify her by using her name) why did the rabid religious right just let the lions as well, to clean all the scum in the U.S.

September 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  9. vw

You will lose, Biden, because you all got panic about GOP VP candidate Palin, because you all know deeds are always better than words.

I have doubt you can find any facts to respond Palin's attack. You know, you can say the community organizer has much more experience that the governor, but who can trust/believe this, Senator biden?

September 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  10. Brenda

I'm a Canadian and it is attitudes like Sarah Palin's that have made me decide to not let my children play hockey. I realize that this might not be my business but really what affects you guys affects us also. We are all connected in this small world. I feel McCain/Palin ticket would be like the Bush/Cheney duo on steroids. He is impulsive, reckless, and easy to anger. Everything about her screams of a bullying sense of abuse of power.

September 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  11. Typical White Person

LMAO – the Bots are slamming Palin for being "shrill" and using "sarcasm"?

Well, they would surely know it when they see it...

September 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  12. Mitch

The name calling and attacks among the posts to this story simply advocate the major issue with the Democratic and Republican parties today. Have the Democrats forgotten Obama's speech where he attacked McCain. Both parties are at fault here and it is the responsibility of the American people to give notice to both parties enough with the name calling and attacks–stick to the important issues and provide your position on these issues. That is what I want to see and hear to determine my vote–nothing more.

September 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  13. Amanda, TX

Women aren't stupid. We know an immitation when we see one. And Sarah Palin is not the real deal. Any woman who thinks women don't deserve equal pay, for equal work is not the real deal. You can dress her up and put lipstick on her, but she's still Karl Rove in a dress. No thanks, I like my politicians human.

Obama/Biden 08

September 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  14. Tom in Delaware

{Biden broadly condemned “distortions” from Republican opponents at a campaign event Thursday, but took only a veiled swipe at Palin.

“[You’re] seeing distortions from opponents — this thing of 'country first,' this awful line about Barack Obama being more concerned about his career than winning a war,” Biden said. “I thought we were beyond that.”}

No, we're not beyond that by a long-shot Joe, as you and your new best friend are about to discover.

Exposing your broad sweeping generalazations is what's going to turn you guys into swiss-cheese during the debates.

The Saddleback forum was just an appetizer.

Enjoy your time in the sun, because this is your Swan Song.

September 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  15. Rob

she has no substance–and it was all scripted

September 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  16. Mark

I watched Palin's speech, and I was very unimpressed. I was very offended and enfuriated at the way she belittled me and everyone else who was inspired to get involved in our political process and volunteer our time and energy to be a part of the Obama campaign's movement for change. It really bothered me the way she mocked and disregarded Obama's experience as a community organizer.

September 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  17. AA

This situation of the blue blooded families like the Bushes who have to have 20 kids and 100 grandchildren to continue their name has got to stop. Hell even the Romney's have their offspring. I have no children.
    These foul families are poisoning politics.

September 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  18. goof off palin=gop

barracuda??????, more like a flounder....

TAX RETURNS, TAX RETURNS......we need to see them sooner than later

September 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  19. Barbara

I watched her last night, and OMG I thought I was see a white extremist up there, with white hood on one hand and a burning cross on the other. I thought discremination went out long time ago. I thought we had forged ahead, but it seems like no one had told the republicans. She snubbed her nose down to the community organizers. Well if it wasn't for them people would have been forgotton. Isn't that like, saying you don't care about the homeless, lost jobs and health care, if they did why didn't they mention it. All I heard was hate speech. I'm really scared if they get elected we my be in war again. McCain said we are all Georgians. Gee if we are, look with him in the white house and his arrogant VP he has chosen we would be in war with russia. Wake up People. We don't need another George Bush Policys for the next four years. OH yes its funny how they speak words out of the bible, but they don't allow the ten comandments. What a crock she is Obama has more diginaty than she ever could. I was a republican, But hate has really overshadowed the party something Im not for. I thought about how they would raise the people up and give them hope. The only hope that I heard was how to bring down amercians by the hate speech she laid out before the whole world. If she is a Christian as she claims to be, her speech would be about bringing the American people together, The American People deserves better

September 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  20. women rights??

The New Republic reports that earlier this year Palin “used her line-item veto to slash funding for a state program benefiting teen mothers in need of a place to live.”

September 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  21. Ed

Age old question!! What is it about republican candidates for ANY elective office that they find it so hard to be truthful? They, for the most part, brazenly lie about things that even the dullest listener can see through. When it comes to embellishing their own qualifications there is no end to what they will say. Can they not understand that all these so-called facts are so easily checked that anyone who cares in the least can find the truth? Truly puzzling!!

September 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  22. Turnabout is fair play

Ah, you poor fools like Shannon and Anon in this blog..you have NO idea what Biden is doing at all..he's laying the trap just like Mike here said:

Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia September 4th, 2008 1:13 pm ET

Joe Biden: But I will not do what she is able to do so well, and many others–not bad. I am not good at the one-line zingers that go at, you know, that’s not my deal.

Sarah Patlin: Beware, a mousetrap always offers free cheese.

You two blind idiots think that she can hold a candle to the most outspoken democrat in the Senate? ROFL! He WANTS you to think that so when blasts her, she will reeling and screaming for McStain's aids to help her in a panic..but they won't be there...

September 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  23. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

Helene,
    Are you scared?? Obviously they do something to you, if not impress you then they must cause some rise of emotion to get a reaction like that.

Biden and Obama both know they are it trouble when the debates start. Biden is lowering the bar and Obama has already backed out of the town hall debates that he previously agreed to do.

September 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  24. You'reNoHillary

Right wing republicans complaining about sexism is like KKK members complaining about discrimination.

September 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  25. HOW DO I GET 'THAT' JOB, LEVI....

should mccain die early on in a term i think that putin will NOT be worried about palin...

September 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |