September 4th, 2008

Convention to air Palin biography video

CNN

The RNC will air a video Thursday night highlighting Palin's biography.

(CNN) – A video highlighting Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin's biography and record as Alaska's governor is set to air at the party's convention Thursday night, senior McCain aides tell CNN.

The three-minute video was originally slated to air Wednesday night before Palin's speech at the convention but was postponed due to time constraints. McCain aides said the video makes a "compelling" case for why John McCain chose Palin as his running mate.

"Mother, moose hunter, maverick," the video's narrator states. “Mayor, governor, maverick. The original maverick made an astute choice when he asked Governor Palin to join him in his effort to remake Washington.

"Alaska, a far corner of America that accounts for 20 percent of our domestic oil, has produced a remarkable woman who's never been afraid to put her city, state, or country first - regardless of consequences," the narrator continues.

1. Maggie Goodson

I am so proud to be a Republican!!! I think all you democrats are running scared!! WELL, YOU SHOULD BE. ROLAND MARTIN, YOU ARE A MEAN SPIRITED PERSON WHO WOULD VOTE FOR AN AXE MURDERER AS LONG AS HE WAS BLACK!

September 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. Allen Friedman

It is interesting to watch how the slick Republican party plays games with the media and the public inorder to make Sarah Palin palateable for the V.P. job. Notice that when Republicans are interviewed that they all say the samething about her and how bad Obama is. It will be a cold day in hell when this woman on the street is knowledgeable enough to be a heartbeat away from the presidency. If she wins, the country looses!!!

September 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. BL

Great question Becky. I keep waiting for that to come out. It is truly animal cruelty because wolves have such tight social circles. The ones left behind (injured and dying or just alone) must be totally confused about what happened to their family. Palin might be "pro-life" for her daughter's child, but she's certainly not pro-life for wolves. She didnt' even listen to her constituents who said they didn't want aerial hunting. How does that work when a politician blatantly ignores their constituents?

September 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  4. P. D.

What about jobs? Healthcare? Deficit? Jeez, I get it takes a lot to read a script.

September 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  5. Hillary 2012

Obama changed his religion due to the political reason
    Obama not even close to Sarah Plain when its come to faith

Hillary 2012
    Mc Cain/Palin2008

September 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  6. Paris

CNN is historic only worthy of a Black candidate?

CNN failed to acknowledge the historic nature of Plain’s nomination.
    To all the women at CNN, you should be ashamed working for an organization that doesn’t even acknowledge this Historic event.

The double standard is very eye opening.
    Democrats using words like Shrill describing Palin and the women movement in this country is silent, what a shame.

September 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  7. Wasilla Hillbilly in a dress

I think three minutes means it's in REAL TIME.

I could pay an ad firm $250,000 and they could make ME look presidential if the bounds of truth aren't an obstacle. This woman is totally unprepared to take over when a 72+ year-old cancer survivor goes down (heaven forbid). I keep thinking I'm in a nonsensical dream that this once great party has degenerated to this level. Sheesh

September 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  8. General Palin

Does she wear a military uniform while she shoots moose or is that photo just to help us feel more secure that she too is ready to bomb Iran – since she hasn't given any thought to Iraq.

Hey, Cindy McCain has demonstrated that she's closer to Russia than anyone – and they haven't attacked across the Bering Strait during the entire time she's been Governor.

September 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  9. Jon

Why is "Maverick" so populat within the Republican convention? Doesn't that mean bucking the party principles?

After 8 years of a "cowboy" I'm not sure "Maverick" is a logical choice, I want to know what I'm getting myself into, not another gut feel type of leader.

September 4, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  10. William

Let's be real, the way a presidency ages a person, Palin has a real possibility of becoming the president if the republicans win. I don't think anyone, male or female, can handle the presidency with all the critical personal responsibility (family) she has. Would you vote her president under her current circumstances?

September 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  11. creighton

I liked her speech so much, I just wrote Obama a check for an additional $100 on top of my monthly contribution.

Palin sarcastic and shrill, came across as petty and with little substance.

Her views aren't mainstream, they are extreme. The tape of her laughing at the comments made by a talk show host about a political opponent tell me all I need to know about her character.

September 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  12. Doug R.

The buzz is Bush's speech writers wrote the speech and Palin was a pit bull with lipstick spewing the venom in an attempt to become established. The whole thing seem to be contrived. We'll see what grandpa says this evening. I won't hold my breath...he has never had anything new to offer up for Americans.

September 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  13. Obama!!

The major thing that Palin accomplised was having a oil pipeline built.. but instead of hiring an American Company keeping American jobs or even creating american jobs... they hire Canada company!!

For one thing, it was reported that she accepted at least $4,500 in campaign contributions in the same fundraising scheme at the center of a public corruption scandal that led to the indictment of Sen. Ted Stevens.

The contributions, made during Palin's failed 2002 bid to become Alaska's lieutenant governor, were not illegal for her to accept. But they show how Palin, a self-proclaimed champion for clean government, has been part of an Alaska political system that is now under the cloud of an ongoing FBI investigation.

Her husband once belonged to a fringe political group in Alaska, with some members supporting secession from the United States.

She has acknowledged smoking marijuana in the past

As Palin campaigned unsuccessfully in 2002 to become lieutenant governor, she received contributions from executives at VECO Corp., a powerful Alaska oil field services company. Company founder Bill Allen has admitted the company steers its donations through a "special bonus program" in which executives received money and the company instructed them to donate it to favored politicians.

Allen pleaded guilty to bribery and corruption charges

In her earlier career as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, Palin hired a lobbyist to help the tiny town secure at least 14 earmarks, worth $27 million between 2000-2003. McCain has touted Palin as a force in his long battle against earmarks.

Palin opposed the U.S. government's listing of a variety of animals as endangered, including the polar bear and the beluga whale, both of which inhabit areas also rich in oil and natural gas.

Palin Hasn’t Given The War In Iraq Much Thought. Palin told the Alaska Business Monthly, “I’ve been so focused on state government, I haven’t really focused much on the war in Iraq. Palin Has Never Been To Iraq. Palin Believes That The Iraq War Is A Task ‘From God

Palin Denies Man-Made Global Warming

Palin’s Lobbyist Had ‘Close Ties’ To Don Young, Ted Stevens

Palin Left Wasilla $20 Million In Debt.

Palin Instituted A Windfall Profits Tax On Oil Companies. In 2007, Palin raised taxes on oil company profits by $1.5 billion a year, enabling Alaska to double its oil revenue. However, in 2008 she said, “Windfall profits taxes alone prevent additional investment in domestic production.”

September 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  14. Foreign Observer

"regardless of consequences" is pretty funny - "I'll do what is right and if it means I'll be nominated VP and join those Eastern elites, dammit!"

September 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. Joe PA

MOOSE HUNTER NO THANK!!!!!!! We alread had one VP shoot someone while they were hunting we don't need a second. Just MORE OF THE SAME!!!!!!

September 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  16. Ash

I hope that someone else can come out with a true bio video of the real Sarah Palin, with everything that has been listed on here. The majority of people don't go to political blogs, but the news needs to get out to them. It sickens me that someone like this has a chance (hopefully not) at running our country. That, and she tries to pretend that she is this great, kind person, but look at all that is coming out! Please people, think and educate yourselves on this woman!! (McCain sure didn't!!)

September 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  17. Daniel

City, state, or country first?

Well, as a member of the Alaska Independence Party, she certainly wanted to put her state first ... and secede from her country. I wonder if that's what the McCain campaign is talking about.

September 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  18. big T

i'm glad people are not buying the crap about how a governor for 20 months has more experience then a us senate person.

September 4, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  19. Amaya

McCain as he needs an attack dog he picked one. What he need is somebody who can counter balance his temper and keep cool head. Oh my god, I have never seen sarcastic and ruthless woman like her. Woman normally are gentle, even when they attack they do it in a calm way. It is not news for Republicans to have double standard but she takes it to a new level. She definitely has younger body with older mind than McCain.

September 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  20. rinny

the only thing that drives Palin is Making Profit in Alaska from Oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why isnt any body discussing this?????

September 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  21. Steve - southern Illinois

I hope fear of being accused of sexism doesn't keep the media from fully vetting Sarah Palin. It's bad enough she won't give an interview.

September 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  22. ex-Republican for Obama

She is NOT concerned for our environment...she is too pro-life...she is just too conservative...and she will back big oil! I supported Hillary Clinton..and Sarah is no Hillary!

and PLEASE...someone please tell the religious, conservative right wing that teenage sex is still wrong. Her daughter shouldn't be put on a pedestal just because she is keeping this baby! I feel sorry for the poor kid who (I'm sure) is being forced into marrying her now..

Where was this abstinance-loving mom with upstanding family values when her kid was fooling around..and I'm sure this wasn't a "one time" accident!!

September 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  23. Please help me understand

am not being sarcastic; I am not looking for a fight. I am asking seriously.

Where are we to see that Mr. Obama is more qualified than Mrs. Palin to be in the oval office?

When I look at the experience comparison, I see:
    Mr. Obama is an educated man, he co-sponsored more than 800 bills, has served as a Senator for Illinois, a state with 12.8 million people.

Ms. Palin: served as Wasilla City Council (8000 people), Wasilla mayor (8000 people), 1 year “Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission”, and governor of a state with 660,000 people

It is for sure Mr. Obama is more qualified to be a teacher / Professor. However isn’t Mrs. Palin’s experience actually running governments and moving upward in each position make her better qualified to run for the office she is?

If I am wrong, please explain this to me.

September 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  24. GET REAL PEOPLE

DUHHHHHHHHHHH WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENED TO OBAMA'S SCRIPT HE JUST STUTTERED OMG WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE STOP MAKING HIM OUT TO BE A HERO OR LIKE HE IS SOOOOO PERFECT WOW I HAVE COME TO BELIEVE SOME OF YOU PEOPLE WOULD BELIEVE ANYTHING.

September 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  25. tonyP

you really can tell how much Sarah Palin scares the democrats by the attacks they've unleshed upon her. you really have to admit (all vetting aside) that John McCain knew what he was doing when he picked her. I think Republicans see in her what dems saw in Obama in 2004 and she will be, if not VP this time then President in 4 years if Obama is the next Carter or 8 years if he's not.

September 4, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |