September 4th, 2008

Obama campaign response to McCain's speech

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton released the following statement in response to McCain's speech:

“Tonight, John McCain said that his party was elected to change Washington, but that they let Washington change them. He’s right. He admonished the ‘old, do-nothing crowd’ in Washington, but ignored the fact that he’s been part of that crowd for twenty-six years, opposing solutions on health care, energy, and education. He talked about bipartisanship, but didn’t mention that he’s been a Bush partisan 90% of the time, that he’s run a Karl Rove campaign, and that he wants to continue this President’s disastrous economic and foreign policies for another four years. With John McCain, it’s more of the same.

“That’s not the change Americans need. Barack Obama has taken on the special interests and the lobbyists in Illinois and in Washington, and he’s won. As President, he’ll cut taxes for 95% of all working families, provide affordable health care to every American, end the tax breaks for companies that ship our jobs overseas, and eliminate the oil we import from the Middle East in ten years,” said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. El Queso Grande

Yeah, because McCain isn't about hope and change. If he were, he'd be hoping to change the hope we're changing to hope about. He's just jealous because all the hope of changing the change we hope so much about is all located on the other side of the aisle, where change is hopeful about hoping to hope... oh, and change, too.

September 5, 2008 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  2. Damian

Every white person who votes for Mcain/Palin, does so, because they don't want to see an African-American in the white house. All the white "bubba's" in the world are scared, so they are going to make Obama out to be "the bad candidate." When in fact he is the BEST Candidate.
    P.S I'm white.

September 5, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  3. The Mad Hoosier

It will be impossible for Obama to cut taxes on 95% of the population without running this country into the ground. If he takes all the money that is being spent on the Iraq war and depletes the military, that will leave us vulnerable to an attack at home. If he does tax the 5% of the wealthiest people and companies in the US, those companies will lay off people, or move their comany out of the US entirely.

Folks, please take a look at the big picture here. The Iraq war sucks, but we are already handing over control to Iraq and will be pulling out soon whether it be Obama or McCain. McCain will likely keep a minimal presence there to help protect Iraq from Iran coming in, but it won't be anywhere near the presence we have now. So without the war, what does Obama have? Tax and spend. Universal Healthcare?? You realize that Medicare currently has a 30% fraud rate right? You think that number will go down if more people, some the lowest of the low who don't want to work a day in their life, enter the equation?

September 5, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  4. APS in Hawaii

What a laugh from the Obama supporters who ran the dirtiest smear campaign since 2000. What gets me Obama has not made one overature to Hillary supporters and how we were trashed by Obama. So now Obama says McCain is more of the same. This comes from a person who picked a VP who is from the old school of politics. I just wish for once someone would speak about the economy, working as a team, and what is the plan?

September 5, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  5. Heather

I thought the speech was awful and it definately helped me decide my vote. I am a Christian, I am White, I am from rural america, I am a extremely proud american, I am voting for OBAMA/BIDEN. Oh and by the way in regard to the comment give last night at the GOP Convention, "This convention in St. Paul isn’t the first time the Republicans have filled a stadium with thousands of screaming people" They weren't lying that time . . . remember the Superdome in New Orleans three years ago?

September 5, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  6. Bev

Yes John we know you are a hero but so are many others who fought in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afganistan, and many at the twin towers. Many of them even gave more than you did, they died for their country, you at least are still alive. Your use of 9/11 and your POW time for strictly partisan politics is disgraceful.

September 5, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  7. g.cook

The only thing I got out of McCain 's convention is nothing. I thought it was the other twin (Bush). This country needs CHANGE, CHANGE, and more CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!. Go OBAMA / BIDEN.

September 5, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  8. Megan

I can't believe John McCain is asking people to fight. Fight WHO and WHAT. The only fight I know about right now is keeping my children fed, my house from foreclosure, and fighting to keep my job in this country. Now what fight is he talking about, and with WHO. Is that all the Republicans think about is FIGHTING. I have seen enough death. Death of my fellow Americans, death of innocent Iraqi's, death of a FLOURISHING AMERICAN ECONOMY. Fighting is the last thing on my mind. I want CHANGE.

September 5, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  9. don

Carol Michigan says, "Michelle Obama said "this is the first time I've been proud of my country" and was ripped to ribbons for it but now John McCain said tonight "he never loved this country until it was taken away from him."

What's the difference here?"

The difference is that J-Mac realized he loved his country when angry Vietnamese soldiers broke his arms and forced him to live in a cage for seven years. He realized how much of America he had previously taken for granted.

Michelle Obama had been disgusted with America, even though she is very well off. She only came to appreciate America (although one questions how much?) as her husband became the likely choice for the Democratic Party.

September 5, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  10. Jerry in Los Angeles

The whole RNC convention was a study in forced response and hypocracy. No one was thrilled, applause lines were way off, most of the speeches were a total snooze, the message was muddled, the lies transparent and the "true believers" were out in force. As a fan of Harry Potter, this republican ticket is Fudge/Umbridge and the side of light is Potter/Dumbledore.

....we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

September 5, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  11. Oli of Cali

Obama's promises sounds to good to be true for his record... sounds like a true POLITICIAN... He'll win your heart through good speaches BUT I doubt you'll get anything once elected to the position...

I never voted before but I will this time because I will hate to see the man of good speaches beat the man of experience and action!!! The same thing should goes for all of you...

September 5, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  12. ralph

I wonder if palin is going to put air force one up for sale on ebay if McCain wins.

September 5, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  13. Nicholas Wesley

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

Originally would of voted for Kucinich, but he sadly didnt make it this far.

September 5, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  14. Margaret

I liked John McCain in 2000, but he is not the same man. He has sold out to the very people he condemns by surrounding himself with lobbyists in his campaign. If he doesn't want to be connected to Bush why is he using the same old Rove crowd to get elected? All he can talk about is war, war and more war.
    How can his VP be effective if she has to be protected from the media? If she’s going to run for VP using sexism as armor is not going to work because it makes her look weak.
    When Hillary claimed that the media was picking on her because she was a woman they called her a whiner.
    Palin thought that she was funny as she smirked and made her cracks about Obama, but I thought that she was sarcastic and nasty. So much for McCain saying he would not run a negative campaign. If McCain picked Palin to get Hillary voters it is an insult to those women because she is no Hillary.
    I'm a 67 year old white grandmother and great-grandmother. I'm an independent voter.
    I don't want eight more years of republicans destroying this country for political gain. Obama and Biden 08 !!!

September 5, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  15. AJ

How the heck do you run a campaign on "change" when Republicans have had the White House for 8 years and Congress for 6 of the last 7?
    This pretending McCain is somehow not a Republican, but a different Republican is possibly the stupidest thing in the history of politics.

September 5, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  16. Phil Newton in Murphy, Oregon

"Fight with me."

You got it.

All talk and no action. We'll give you more fight than you bargained for.

Obama 08

September 5, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  17. Howard

Every time I turn around, I get an email from Barack Obama hitting me up for a donation to his campaign. I guess other democrats out there are experiencing the same fund raising emails ad nauseam. If Obama can't win the election at this point, based upon his abilities, I've lost my appetite for contributin once agaiin, to help him buy the Presidency.

September 5, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  18. Bigbubba

Obama seems to have new Ideas.
    McCain seems to have old memories.

September 5, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  19. ett

my qustion is who is american? I don't think republican see democrate as american...should you have to fight a war to be called hero? but in modern days hero is one who save world from one. to be smart to creat peace is # 1hero...war is last reslotuion..

September 5, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  20. Lexa from IL.

Yeah yeah! He hasn't even sponsored a major bill. Constant flip flops. Oh and aside from that 100+ "presents" don't count. He could have taken a position on the 100+ things and he didn't!

September 5, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  21. Lexa from IL.

Dan J I completely agree with your comment!!

September 5, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  22. Bart

I support McCain/Palin and I thought tonights speech was good considering McCain does not like to speak in that kind of setting. As for Obama... I love how everytime the Republicans attack him on an Issue he and his team try and act like they are above that and do not play dirty politics... That is complete bull.. The Obama ticket is banking on people in America to be ignorant and just see the glamerous speeches that when you really listen involve no change at all. He is saying the same things Dems have been saying for years. He is very good at talking.. example the forum at Saddleback.. I loved how he never answered one question to the fact. He talked his way out of it and through it.. Sounded good but was hollow. And how can we elect someone who thinks that knowing when a human gets rights is above his pay grade.. If that is, his selecting Supreme Court Justices must also be.. There is no PRESENT vote in the White House Barack.

September 5, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  23. KATHLEEN

Unbelievable, nothing talk by McCain!

How many times did the man say "I". McCain should go down in
    the Guiness Book of World Records for the number of times he said,
    "I" !!!!!!!! Atrociously bad speech.

Message I got: War, No entitlements, you are on your own, new
    jobs at Wal-Mart for college graduates, More War, Possible Draft.
    TAX CUTS for Big Corporations and the Rich.

Sarah Palin can't help him.

John McCain voted against a raise in the minumum wage 9 TIMES.
    Those people have been making only enough to pay for gas to
    drive to work! Pretty soon all that we will have left will be jobs at
    places like Wal-Mart, who makes Billions a year in profits. Now,
    that is called McCain job creation!!!!!

September 5, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  24. Nelson

The right has gone right of the map. The country is facing serious issues and Senator McCain has no plans to bring us through. It appears to me that CNN for the last four weeks have join the republicans. The are practicing anything buit fair commentary. I will no longer watch that network. Lets focus on the issues.

September 5, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  25. Gone Obama Gone

What do you have, Mr Zero, except repeating hope and change, change and hope?

September 5, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |