September 4th, 2008

Obama campaign response to McCain's speech

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton released the following statement in response to McCain's speech:

“Tonight, John McCain said that his party was elected to change Washington, but that they let Washington change them. He’s right. He admonished the ‘old, do-nothing crowd’ in Washington, but ignored the fact that he’s been part of that crowd for twenty-six years, opposing solutions on health care, energy, and education. He talked about bipartisanship, but didn’t mention that he’s been a Bush partisan 90% of the time, that he’s run a Karl Rove campaign, and that he wants to continue this President’s disastrous economic and foreign policies for another four years. With John McCain, it’s more of the same.

“That’s not the change Americans need. Barack Obama has taken on the special interests and the lobbyists in Illinois and in Washington, and he’s won. As President, he’ll cut taxes for 95% of all working families, provide affordable health care to every American, end the tax breaks for companies that ship our jobs overseas, and eliminate the oil we import from the Middle East in ten years,” said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Ed

I'm surprised that republicans still claim that Obama is all style, high rhetoric, no substance. After the DNC and the RNC, i'd say it's the other way around really.

If anything, McCain is trying to steal the "change" platform, and starts attacking his "old" self...

September 5, 2008 03:15 am at 3:15 am |
  2. June from Spring Valley, CA

Promises are not good enough without the record to prove your background, experiences, accomplishments and qualification. For 19 months, I have not heard Obama speak about these.

September 5, 2008 03:15 am at 3:15 am |
  3. Chris

A vote for McCain is a vote for more of the same...just prepare your children for war though because they will fight with him in all 4 corners of the globe when he reinstitutes the draft under the demands of the military industrial complex he adorns so much...Go USA! There... job problem solved.

September 5, 2008 03:16 am at 3:16 am |
  4. Alex

Is he going to change from the General McCain suit to John McCain as Musharif did? Come on McCain even Pakistani people were not fooled by change of clothes. You were part of Washington and it is in your blood. Are you planning to do blood transfusion? Change does not come from the top this time it is coming from the bottom with the help of those who know the problem like Obama. Just watch it or move to the side so that it does not crash you.

September 5, 2008 03:16 am at 3:16 am |
  5. Felix

I AM 100% CERTAIN THE REPUBLICANS WOULD DO EVERYTHING TO RIG THIS ELECTION, DEMOCRATS HOULD BE VIGILANT.OBAMA IS GOD SENT TO REDEEM AMERICA AND BRING PEACE TO THE WORLD.

September 5, 2008 03:20 am at 3:20 am |
  6. mr george

McCain u and ur So, call V.P should spot lying to the public, things u can for this country, spot say it.

September 5, 2008 03:22 am at 3:22 am |
  7. mr george

Mr Obama U is the Man..........................

September 5, 2008 03:24 am at 3:24 am |
  8. No Hillary = No Obama

Obama did not walk the talk. He had a chance to make history by picking Hillary as his running mate – Mr. Change – didn't change anything – he got his and that's all that seems to matter to him. McCain, on the other hand, just did it. And so for history, for gender equality and progress, because in 220 years we finally have a chance – I am voting for McCain. I never thought in my life I would vote Republican – but I am.

September 5, 2008 03:24 am at 3:24 am |
  9. william

DIFFERENCE IN BOTH CONVENTIONS......
    DEMS TALKED ABOUT ISSUES AND HOW THEY PLAN TO SOLVE THEM.......
    REPUBS DID NOT,INSTEAD ONLY ATTACKED AND LIED......
    REPLAY ALL THE SPEECHES AND SEE .....

September 5, 2008 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  10. Burton38

HHhhmm. MCaine voted with Bush 90% of the time. Obama has voted along party lines for 100%. Yes folks, look it up. Obama for change?? Biden is as part of the old crusty DNC regime as Chappaquittick Ted! Obama is nothing but a puppet for the DNC. Dance puppet,dance!!!!

September 5, 2008 03:30 am at 3:30 am |
  11. Michael Bishop

Hello, Cnn I know you wouldn't put this on so here it goes. Being from Illinios ,and I am also a man that has voted for Clinton, Clinton, Gore, and Kerry. Don't let Obama fool you for all the great things he said he's done for Illinios. Not one of them has personally effected my families life. Oh, sorry I forgot this friend Jones in the illinios senate has Helped raise my electric bill 100%. One of Obama's mentors. Sorry Mr. Obama I can't afford to vote for you.

Nobama 08 Nobama 08 Nobama 08

September 5, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  12. Greg

The Obama nuts on this site and the ones who condoned the protestors in someone else's speech have firmed my opinion. I never really liked McCain, but this Palin woman is new and real. Never, ever would I want to reward any group that thinks rudely shouting and interrupting another's forum or speech time is constuctive.

September 5, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  13. Tama

Obama has to win or I'm leaving the country. McCain is a liar and Palin is more frightening.

September 5, 2008 03:33 am at 3:33 am |
  14. downwithosama

well their it is agian no way no how no mcain oh and eight is enough. is that all you can say. so you want someone in office who has never served his country to preserve its freedom. and a racist wife who is only proud of my country now is because her husband quit selling crack and was nominated for the dems. did you know that wile voting on things in the senate your boy obama never said yes or no it was the im just here button. does he realy have a plan to help our economy. he say john mcain dont but all i hears is i have a plan. well if you got one and you realy care about your fellow citizens who are struggling then lay it out for us so we can get the ball rolling, remeber if you do get elected which i highly dought, you wont start till janurary but hey thats ok where still waiting on the dems in the senate we can wait on you, im mean we have stuggled for so long under the bush administration according to you, so whats a little longer. obama is a tool,

September 5, 2008 03:40 am at 3:40 am |
  15. Scott of Sydney

African American Male for McCain September 4th, 2008 11:55 pm ET
    Bwahahaha now that's rich. Obama made more promises than Santa Clause and he says he can cut taxes? How is he going to start that global poverty fund? How can he pay for everyone's college tuition? All this from winfall profit taxes on big oil? Amazing. He doesn't even understand his own policies.

Keep it up Obama. Please keep it up.

The answer is simple. !0 Billion a month spend in Iraq. No war no spending.

September 5, 2008 03:40 am at 3:40 am |
  16. Mark

The Republican really don't know what they have done. Because of the attacks against our party and it's leaders, they have motivated us like never before. I'm going to pound the streets like crazy to talk to as many people as I can in support of Barack Obama. Those that are not registered I will help them to get registered.

The gloves are off now and if it's a fight they want then a fight they will get. We are the Democrats Unity we stand and devided we fall.
    I've never ever in my life wanted to get involed in politics as I do now.
    For the simple fact that it offends me to her someone say the causes in which someone fights for are small and meaningless.

Just remember what Ali did in most of his fights " watch out for the rope a dope" When you think your going get hit with the right here come the left.
    IT'S CLOBBERING TIME

September 5, 2008 03:41 am at 3:41 am |
  17. Joe

before anyone brings Biden into this, Biden has not voted with Bush 90% of the time and thinks Bush is a good president. Biden has probably voted AGAINST Bush 90% of the time.

So of course Biden isn't "More of the same in Washington"

September 5, 2008 03:42 am at 3:42 am |
  18. Jess FL

Seriously? Obama's campaign is spreading lies? Yeah right. Go to factcheck.org if you want facts and you'll see who is really spreading lies. Neither one of the candidates has told the WHOLE truth but at least Obama isn't completely fabricating stuff. Every time the republican's say he's going to raise taxes I groan. He's going to raise taxes on people who make over 250,000 a year. If you make under that here comes a tax break! John McCain's speech had no substance and neither did any of the republicans. Just compare the tones of the two conventions. Republicans came out being hateful angry and elitist (yeah we know who the elitists really are). The DNC was hopeful inclusive and uplifting. If you want to vote for hateful angry elitists by all means vote McCain. At least Obama has an ACTUAL plan for our country instead of a load of rhetoric.

September 5, 2008 03:43 am at 3:43 am |
  19. Sal

it's over mclame, Obama all the way!

September 5, 2008 03:44 am at 3:44 am |
  20. joe

I think Obama's speech on 2004 DEM Conv. was the most impressive one. After that speech, his speech could not attract my attention any more. I listened to his acceptance speech last week. It was so-so both in substance and style. So was McCain's.

September 5, 2008 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  21. More of the Same?

Obama just doesn't get it, does he? Is he a genie? How is he going to cut 95% of America's taxes, reduce the deficit, increase government programs, and create a plan that gives everyone health care? If America elects this buffoon after listening to his snarky little campaign aides bark out more nauseating rhetoric, America will deserve the downfall that's coming under Barack's administration. Change? Obama? Give me a break!

September 5, 2008 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  22. Anonymous

I wonder how many black or hispanic soccer mom's Palin knows.

September 5, 2008 03:46 am at 3:46 am |
  23. Yaa

In the famous words of Mr. Rodney King, "Can't we just all get along!" I would like to just see the facts. How will these candidates truly deal with the problems in our county? Stop the mud slinging and name calling and give "just the facts, mam', just the facts." I will base my vote on who sound like he/she is giving the facts and telling the truth. An African American Female

September 5, 2008 03:47 am at 3:47 am |
  24. babsi

Me thinks African American Male is questionable in his declaration of heritage - or confused! Go Obama/Biden '08!!!

September 5, 2008 03:50 am at 3:50 am |
  25. cathy

Yeah, his speech was boring. But I noticed that boring people always get jobs done nicely.

September 5, 2008 03:50 am at 3:50 am |