September 4th, 2008

Obama didn’t expect ginger treatment from Palin

Axelrod took Palins speech in stride.
Axelrod took Palins speech in stride.

PITTSBURGH (CNN) – Senior Obama adviser David Axelrod appeared unfazed by Sarah Palin’s tough speech in St. Paul Wednesday night, telling reporters Thursday Barack Obama watched a bit of her speech and took it in stride.

“To be very honest with you, I don’t think he expected gingerly treatment,” Axelrod told reporters on the campaign plane. “I think he understands that they don’t really have a record to run on and this is what politicians do when they don’t have a record to run on.”

Asked if it was harder to respond to attacks from Palin because she’s a woman, Axelrod said they were happy to respond to any “blatant distortions of fact” and that despite selling herself as someone not from Washington, she’d do well there.

“She’s a skilled politician. As she proved last night she’s deft at going on the attack,” said Axelrod. “For someone who makes the point that she’s not from Washington, she looks very much like she’d fit in very well there. When you see how she brings these attacks, it all felt very familiar to Americans who are used to this kind of thing from Washington.”

As for the repeated attacks from speakers like Rudy Giuliani and Palin on the community organizing chapter of his life Obama often touts, Axelrod said he thought everyday people viewed the position as real work.

“It may not pay the millions of dollars Rudy gets for shilling for pharma but it’s significant work,” said Axelrod.

1. Ken

Hey Goerge. Stop parroting what you hear on FoxNews and try thinking for yourself. Go read the record. He has done things both in the US Senate and back in Illinois. Now all this might not be enough for YOU, but to characterize his record as 'having done nothing' is just more of the sophmoric rhetoric we've come to expect from the
    [R]ight.

And I must say you should be especially proud of YOUR VP candidate. She has done well for herself; only in America can an uber-mistress of the [R]ightwing trailer-trash be raised to celebrity status.

2. Bill

Palin runs a state with NO INCOME TAX but instead an oil fund kickback DIVIDEND CHECK mailed to all residents each year. She has no executive experience dealing with the #1 problem the next U.S. President will face: how to get the economy back on track while not imposing significant tax increases to pay for necessary programs. Obama doesn't have much experience, but at least what he does have isn't in a fantasy land where you don't have to worry about money.

3. J UAN CARLOS

T R U T H,,,,,,,I S,,,,,,,,,T H E R E,,,,,,,,,A R E,,,,,,,L O T S,,,,,,,A N D,,,,,L O T S,

O F,,,,,,,,,,,,,O R G A N I Z E R S,,,,,,,,,O U T,,,,,,,,,,T H E R E,,,,,,,,,,,T H A T ' S,,

N O,,,,,,,,,P R E S I D EN T I A L,,,,,,,,,,E X P E R I E N C E,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

4. CJ

I was turned off by the misstatements and the low blows delivered by their new star performer. I think she did what she was suppose to do , but did not appeal to me personally because of the sarcasm, and of putting down community service. Also no real sustance , no plan on issues just tearing down .and saying because MCCain was in prison cell that makes him a better choice than a well educated community service US Senator who had made some ethics changes. But the GOP loves her because of the low blows, and McCain knows the truth!
    I use to love the old John McCain , always said if he ran I would vote for him. But after this convention , its speakers have really turned me off!!! What happen to the maverick , he died and now in it place is just a shell of the man he was!

5. watching

Mrs. Palin needs to be reminded that Jesus Christ was a community organizer and Pontius Pilate was a governor."

6. L

The fact that people are touting her speech as a success shows how dumb the American Public is becoming. All those Hillary supporters that claim that they like her now are not only rubbing Hillary's nose in poop but diminishing Hillary's legacy. Shame on all of you.

7. marta

Please focus on the fact that Palin can not be an advocate of special needs children when she cuts the funding for special needs programs by 62 % in Alaska' schools. I am a special needs mom and she is far from the advocate that i want . MNSBC's coverage this morning is lumping all special needs mom in a category that will blindly vote for Palin because we identify with her. What I see is a mom who has chosen to put herself and her ambitions before that of her children. What I saw when her youngest daughter was holding the baby was not a cute moment , but a sad portrait of a child that knows too well how take care of another child because the mother is absent.

8. NalleyFam

I found Palin's tone to be necessary to set the stage for this campaign. I believe that she would be facing larger criticism if she were timid and cordial.
    I was not "sold" on any of the candidates, but I am glad to see someone standing up and asking a bigger question about each issue...HOW? It's one thing to give a well designed speech, however Obama has yet to show America how he will make his promises become reality.

9. KenB, MI

Someone talk to us on the ground...

don't give us that Same Old Business...

We know dirty work...when family comes first...

10. GN

Her speech finally convinced me to NOT vote for McCain. Today she is pointing her finger at Obama and belittles him. When elected, she will point her finger at us and belittle us. Moreover, she will point her finger at other nations and belittle them, too. Not a smart way to lead this country and get more allies. Not a smart way to attract female voters at all! She insulted a lot of them.

She needs an extensive training at Disney. Otherwise, she will make a lot of undecided voters to move away from McCain.

11. mary j

Community organizers work from the heart, whether it is for local civic groups, clean water and energy groups, environmental groups, school kids, the homeless, battered women in crisis or any of the other issues that really matter all acoss America to the people who appreciate and benefit from hard work of such folks. Done just to make their lives better, without grabbing any political glory. Sarah Pallin, must have missed out on that phase of the important issues that matter before catching her sky-rocket ride to fame based on being the mayor of a really small town or a really big state with less voters than are even registered in my local county. Belittleing this work does not impress me. Hello? Good speech delivery, but more typical bit pull talk not about the issues that really are impacting Americans; all flame with no heat.

12. Becca

I think she did a GREAT job! Obama and Biden have not said what "so called great" things they will do to help the economy. Obama does not even answer questions, he is a true politician, he just talks circles around questions without answering them! He SCARES ME!

13. David, Hartford

Filled with vile and hatred. A disgusting display last night. Fascism is alive and well in the GOP. Heil Palin.

Obama/Biden 08