September 4th, 2008

Palin attacks 'shrill and sarcastic,' says Reid spokesman

Palin called out Reid Wednesday.
Palin called out Reid Wednesday.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is hitting back hard at Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night, calling it "shrill and sarcastic."

"Anyone who knows Senator Reid knows he never backs down when he's fighting for what's right and that he always stands up to John McCain when he is wrong," Jim Manley, Reid's press secretary, told CNN. "Shrill and sarcastic political attacks may fire up the Republican base, but they don't change the fact that a McCain-Palin administration would mean four more years of failed bush-Cheney policies."

The reaction came after Palin specifically called out Reid during her address to the Republican National Convention, saying the Nevada Democrat "can't stand up to John McCain."

"Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee. He said, quote, 'I can't stand John McCain,'" Palin said to roaring applause from the crowd. "Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. sms

Ha, Sounds like most of you loser Dems are jealous, pathetic goons. Sarah was awesome last night–and had MUCH substance, substance you can't see behind your SnObama-blind eyes. It takes people of substance to recognize it and it's obvious that many of you liberal Dems are scared. McCain has demonstrated his leadership and character in this decision alone–much less his actual service to the country. Your pathetic ticket has demonstrated nothing but service to self–I surmise a trait you all admire since it's like looking in the mirror.

September 4, 2008 06:30 am at 6:30 am |
  2. kurler

So a spineless mouth for the spineless nv senator calls the Woman of Steel shrill and sarcastic. Bet neither of the two caballeros ever held a hockey stick or a shotgun in their hands.

September 4, 2008 06:30 am at 6:30 am |
  3. doug in Iowa

Patriotisim? How can the Republicans talk about patriotism? Now I read that their vice-presidential cnadidate ahs a history of supporting votes for her state to leave the Union! To renounce it's status as part of the United States of America! Anyone ever hear of Arron Burr? That is the ultimate insult to our country, enarly, if not, an act of treason. How in the world can the GOP embrace her as a patriotic American and anyone fit to be second in command of our United States of America. Don't talk to me about flag pins, or being proud of out country. Talk to me about at elast wanting to be a part of our country.

September 4, 2008 06:30 am at 6:30 am |
  4. Ted van Tol

How to pick a VP

day one : look at videomaterial of political speeches of a young
    woman and pick out the best lady of speech
    day two : present her as VP
    day three : vet her afterwards
    day seven: write her a pitbullspeech attacking her opponent..

September 4, 2008 06:31 am at 6:31 am |
  5. WhitemoonG

So, Harry Reid is hopping mad, and is fighting back? Something that never occurs to him if it's America's enemies, foreign and domestic. How about a Senate Resolution condemning "shrillness" against Liberal hauteur and revisionism? Another chance for Obama to vote "PRESENT," his trademark record of "leadership!"

September 4, 2008 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  6. bob

i'm a lifelong dem, but have recently found myself increasingly fed-up with my party due to its affiliation with shallow celebrity and extreme left wing bs, and the seeming lack of substance of both the obamas... i also find it troubling that the only dem response to any repub idea and/or policy is the standard template of tieing the word "bush" in the dem response... what is it: don't we dems have any ideas of or own..? hilliary would have been a much better dem candidate, and all obama has done is snubbed her, despite her throwing her supporters behind him... the obamas are nothing but fluff, no substance, and it is looking more and more that ralph nader will be getting my vote... wake up fellow dems, the obamas stand for nothing, and will destroy this country if elected...

September 4, 2008 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  7. JohnBlack

Chi4Obama Quote:
    It's easy for anybody to "talk tough" when reading a "ready made" speech from a teleprompter.

Come now Chi, Obama is an inarticulate baffoon without his teleprompter, and ALL speeches are "ready made"... if you believe Hussein is speaking off-the-cuff, you are brain-washed.

Obama doesn't talk tough because he is Anti-American and Hopes to see his country Change for the worse. Four years of Obama will result in the fall of America, and the rise of China and Russia. Obama is a COWARD unable to stand up to the challenges of our times. THERE IS NO OPTION OF VOTING PRESENT IN THE WHITE HOUSE HUSSEIN.

September 4, 2008 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  8. Bobby from MS

HOMERUN PALIN!!!! NOW WE KNOW WHAT THE O IN OBAMA STANDS FOR. A ZERO!!!!!

MCCAIN/PALIN 08!!!!!!!

September 4, 2008 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  9. Nicolas

We need to careful describing this canidate from the right and the republicans. Education, morality and hardwork are compromised by the right whenever they see fit with reference to the contrast of the canidates. Palin reminds of a cheerleader praising John McCain and that is not bringing her down because I have respect for women. But thats why she was choosen by the republican party. Women rise up.

September 4, 2008 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  10. hillary supporter no to hussien obama

I thought she was ----–great -----I know she is not glorified
    like hussien obama but I thought she gave a great speech. I know
    the media was going to ripe on her some more like they did to Hillary but I think she is tough cookie and she can stand up to them
    I think she proved last night! She is going to be tough VP and not
    going to take any crap from neither party!
    SHE MAKES WOMEN LOOK PROUD!

MCCAIN / PALIN 08

September 4, 2008 06:33 am at 6:33 am |
  11. john

Anger, bitter, and sarcastic. I am tired of these qualities in politicians. People need to look into her record. It's small and unimpressive. Oh, she's a b-. Is that what we want in the White House?

September 4, 2008 06:33 am at 6:33 am |
  12. Linda K.

Okay, instead of shrill how about strident or simply annoying. Take your pick.

Astrid, I'd like you to tell me who created the mess in Washington. Democrats have had a slim majority in Congress for the last two years. But what about the Bush administration and all those years of Republican congressional dominance?

September 4, 2008 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  13. angela

Shrill? Why does that word sound familiar? Oh yes, that's right, that's what they called Hillary as well – 'Shrillary' I think it was. Any successful woman is going to be called shrill by those who oppose her, it's a code word that is never used on male politicians. It's disappointing that this term was used. Yes, women's voices aren't as deep as men's – it's a biologicial fact, but I'm tired of every female politician being called shrill by her political opponents. That isn't the way to win over undecided Hillary supporters, many of which are women.

September 4, 2008 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  14. Tara

I am very excited over this speech!!! I am not a republican, I tend to lean towards the dems but I refuse to put that joke Obama in the white house. I don't like McCain but I love Sarah!!!! I might just have to vote rebublican this year. I am so sick and tired of the attacks on Sarah this week. She defends herself and she is called shrill and sarcastic? You people are crazy

September 4, 2008 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  15. Coger

So, Sarah Palin describes herself as a "hockey mom". Does she mean "hockey" as in the sport of, or is she refering to the horse variety?

Coger in The Netherlands

September 4, 2008 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  16. Paul

There is no way this person could be in the White House, why would we let a Pit-Bull run loose in the White-House.

This was more like a stand-up routin by the lady from the Fargo movie than a appeal to people to vote for McLeash. All that was missing was the standard line "try the veal I'll be here all week".

I could see Putin now calling McCain and saying to him, "you better put a muzzle on the female dog before I do."

Or her barking out her material for Kim Yong-nam and friends as he looks to step over her mouth and bottom droppings on the White-House lawn.

She can only pray that her schedule only permits for speeches and not intervews.

But I must say it would be nice to have a dog as VP...she might even get the PETA vote. Bark Bark Bark!!!!!!!

September 4, 2008 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  17. FES

The only ting that Palin has governed is polar bears and penguins. And that's real leadership? Give us all a break!!!

September 4, 2008 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  18. Mike H.

Now I can see why the Democrats and their liberal allies in the media are busting a gut to smear Sarah Palin and her family. They are scared stiff at the impact this woman will have on the stump. She's a winner!

September 4, 2008 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  19. Karen

I think Palin's comments last night open her up for any and all retaliation. If she's allowed to state the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull is lipstick then she's a big enough girl to be attacked as a pitbull and have that lipstick wiped off her face!!!! The Mc Cain campaign cannot cry "sexist" or cry foul when anyone goes after her. Whether it be true or not.... She's obviously ok with gutter politics. If she can dish it out and the campaign backed it, she/they can certainly take it when it's thrown back

September 4, 2008 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  20. Tony

Palin e-mails show intense interest in trooper.

She criticizes Alaska state troopers for failing to fire her ex brother-in-law

This woman is such a phony, and the republicans, as always, are eating her up.

September 4, 2008 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  21. cathy smithson

The last thing to call a woman is shrill, this is the first line insult of small minds that are in the habit of automatically denigrating any woman. No one ever refers to a man as being "shrill", I would think these career politicians like Reid would at least know that by now. Just that comment alone lets me know he is really out of touch with how to communicate with women voters.

September 4, 2008 06:37 am at 6:37 am |
  22. Cameron from Ohio

I need to thank Palin for helping me understand some things.

I was unaware that authoring more than 800 pieces of legislation and cosponsoring over 1000 more during his time in both the state and US senate means that Obama has penned two memoirs but never any major bill.

I guess The Coburn-Obama Government Transparency Act of 2006, The Lugar-Obama Nuclear Non-proliferation and Conventional Weapons Threat Reduction Act, and The 2007 Government Ethics Bill are small potatos to someone of Palin's qualifications.

I've also learned that volunteering is apparently a bad thing. Little did I know that someone who does such a selfless act of working for free for a cause they believe in means it's a direct comparison to an elected position where you abuse your power by inquiring how to ban books. I now know that there's no reason anyone should volunteer in places like a soup kitchen, or as a community organizer helping youth and the jobless, or the local McCain/Palin headquarters near Columbus, OH. If I were to run for office in the future, I wouldn't want such a negative thing as volunteering to come up during speeches!

September 4, 2008 06:37 am at 6:37 am |
  23. East Coast Bum

As a political junky and have followed politics for years, I must say that the pick of Palin is odd. The TURE reason, I think, is that NO one else would run with John McWAR. So they had to find the only one who whould say yes. I too aggree with most comments on here, that that speech was just crap and had no meat as to what the Repubs plan or vision is for the future. So it must be true that it will be 4 more years of the FAILED bush/shoot you in the face cheny! I will take my chances with Mr. Obama.

September 4, 2008 06:37 am at 6:37 am |