September 4th, 2008

Palin attacks 'shrill and sarcastic,' says Reid spokesman

Palin called out Reid Wednesday.
Palin called out Reid Wednesday.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is hitting back hard at Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night, calling it "shrill and sarcastic."

"Anyone who knows Senator Reid knows he never backs down when he's fighting for what's right and that he always stands up to John McCain when he is wrong," Jim Manley, Reid's press secretary, told CNN. "Shrill and sarcastic political attacks may fire up the Republican base, but they don't change the fact that a McCain-Palin administration would mean four more years of failed bush-Cheney policies."

The reaction came after Palin specifically called out Reid during her address to the Republican National Convention, saying the Nevada Democrat "can't stand up to John McCain."

"Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee. He said, quote, 'I can't stand John McCain,'" Palin said to roaring applause from the crowd. "Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. AVR

I guess she just proved that she really does have more experience that all US senators, even Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Yeah Right!

The American poeple demand specifics, there were none. How can you claim to bring reform to washington when you bring in the exact policies of Bush and Cheney.

The truth is the only corrupt official in the senate is Senator Ted Stephens, who is from Alaska, and is one of the Govenors strongest supporters

September 4, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  2. PC

I like her. Most of what the Republicans said tonight is true. There really is no substance to Obama/Biden ticket. Obama's a great speaker and is very charismatic. But Obama doesn't have a plan for the economy. He doesn't have a plan for Iraq. He doesn't have a plan for energy. And I don't see the Democrats trying to unify the country. They are too busy trying to unify their own party. I think John McCain has a better record of bipartisanship in Congress. I also don't buy Obama's Change rhetoric. His Senate record doesn't show that drive for change. At least McCain has been known for rocking the establishment. Obama is going to be beholdin to the Democratic establishment (i.e. the Clintons). I mean, he beat Hillary fair and square and yet pretty much groveled to the Clintons at the Democratic Convention. I think that is a sign of weakness. Same goes for his wiretapping vote. In the end, he'll take that path of least resistance. I don't think that's a good quality. I didn't want to vote for McCain but I find myself with no better choice. As far as criticism of Palin, I think it's all part of the game. I don't think there are any fatal flaws in her character or background. She's no worse than Biden.

September 4, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  3. Lois

Yes more attacks, as usual, but NOTHING once again, on the economy, healthcare and the War. ONLY OIL. And alternate sources thrown in. She is being used to attack for these spineless Republicans. This is a train wreck. McCain should be ashamed for not caring about this country more than this. Putting this person on the ticket is very irresponsible. Sad sad sad

September 4, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  4. Bob Dull

It's amazing to see so many Republican "sheep" being led to the poor house by their masters, I hope brain implants become popular soon.

As for Palin... Well... the Republican Party said the same thing about Cheney... She is a female version of him except with less experience.

We know what a Republican controlled Senate, House and White House would do... If you like our country's situation now... please vote Republican.

September 4, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  5. braggingrights

Is this what folks call great speech? she was horrible through out! with a well written good for nothing speech! I bet it was endorsed by Karl Rove before it was presented!. Distortion of truth and facts doesnt make the speech right! Wake up America no more 4 more years of failed policies! infact 4 more months is too much!!

September 4, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  6. Michelle Doss

Well i did sit through what's her name? oh yeah Palin? she wasn't articulate. What a serious lack of education. This woman would be very happy if women were pushed back 20 years. Palin is regressive, and stagnate. What an insult to every progressive female in America. The Repubs, and evilgelicans remind me everyday why they are an exculsive bunch.They too teach Americans just like Islamic countries teach Americans why religious fundamentalists should never have power in America.I only hope Americans won't fall for this same old mess the third time.Funny how i didn't hear any mention of the word economy, jobs, health, equal pay. I did hear the chant of Drill Drill.The Repubs are wishing for the third time Americans will fall for that mess. I am pretty sure there will be millions that will follow them , for ignorance is bliss.I only hope the intelligent American will tell them Thanks but no thanks.

September 4, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  7. Petroleum Engineer from Texas

Palin gave a good fun political speech, but was totally lacking in both substance and fact. I hoped to see leadership, but only got entertainment.

Before Bush made a liar out himself with 'WMD in Iraq', I was proud to be a republican. Over the last few months, I have been gradually won over by Obama. The conversion was cemented by tonight’s simplistic and irrational speeches, topped by an evangelistic crusader skilled in speech presentation but appearing to be thoroughly lacking in depth.

The ONLY thing I agree on with Palin is in my support of drilling in Alaska, but I disagree with her that it will make much of a difference in 'energy independence for America'. At best it will provide for a small percentage of our needs for a few years. Everything helps. A balanced approach including drilling, renewable and alternative energy development, building code changes and yes, even [gasp] conservation, and lifestyle changes are necessary to make a real energy difference in America.

The party that says global warming is fiction, a raped woman must keep any result of the rape, libraries must track what books we check out, those that are not with us are against us, and now suggests that all our energy woes will be solved simply by more drilling in Alaska is absolutely not for me.

September 4, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  8. Carmen Cameron

I know women like Sarah Palin. And they scare me. Shrill and malicious does NOT equate to strong. I'm a woman AND a devout Christian and Sarah Palin's selection by John McCain is a clear INSULT to both.

Actually, I also feel sorry for her. She's in way over her head and now her speech has just demonstrated that she's already conceded to be turned into a sock-puppet to the party's hardest of hard-liners.

Shame on John McCain!

September 4, 2008 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  9. Mike from Phoenix

Listening to the speeches today at the RNC, from Romney to Palin, I realized there's something rotting away at the core of McCain's "reform" campaign.

When the GOP talks about change, they're only talking about, "The changing of the Guard."

September 4, 2008 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  10. C. Griffin

Sarah Palin's speech was really sad to watch as a citizen. I understand this isn't beanbag but, if she is going to dish this type of negativity she should be prepared to be smacked back.

September 4, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  11. Paul

I guess "shrill" is more overtly sexist than the campaign buttons being paraded around the floor of the Excel Energy Center: "Hoosiers for the Hot Chick" and "The Hottest VP from the Coolest State".

The RNC convention will go down as the biggest (and most hollow) political convention in history.

September 4, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  12. jwr53

When she referenced a 'do-nothing' Senate, did she forget McCain is a member of that club?

It was all a show, as she continues to play VP candidate on TV without any of the substance necessary to do the real job.

September 4, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  13. sandy

That media stuff was a hoax to scare the media...it's working. She seems mean. I don't like it.

September 4, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  14. cam

Sorry, but at times she sounded like a PTA Mom or Hockey Mom on the attack. And yes, I am a woman, I am a working mom, and no, she has not won me over. I see a shrewd politician who, as an Alaskan native is only concerned about the welfare of her state. Clearly, her tactics worked there but this hardly qualifies her to be VP for the US.

September 4, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  15. Lisa from VA

Shrill is not a sexist word unless you're a whiney wimp who can't take the heat. If so, then get out of the kitchen. If you want to play with the big boys, don't cry when they play back Sarah Palan. You're gonna have to man up.

September 4, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  16. Anonymous

How incredibly sad I feel... I am saddened by the lack of respect, decency, good taste-this convention gives so much credence to the term "Ugly American." There was nothing of substance offered on issues. Nothing at all. A part of me wants to plead with the Dems–and Barack and Michelle–to fight back on their level but that means going straight to the gutter to do battle. How incredibly sad......

September 4, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  17. jim tuffit

No surprises from the 0bama supoorters (that's 0bama with a zero-for zero experience).

The fact that people responding to the Palin speech listened to it on npr (national pagan radio) is telling. A socialist is as a socialist does. Can't keep liberal talk without the taxpayer dough (100 million a year in federal funds)?

Palin did a heck of a lot more than put a plane on ebay or didn't you hear about the bridge to nowhere (I'm not just referring to the 0bama/Biden ticket)? Palin stopped the 200 million dollar bridge from being built.

I'm amazed at the venom from the women. I respect Sarah and believe she would be a great role model for my girls. Teen pregnancy, is that the best the demonrats got? What about John Edwards and his affair? Or the fact that he abandoned his cancer stricken wife to run for office? What about the Clintons? Ever heard of Monica Lewinsky? Or the fact that 0bama (the millionaire) lectures us about being our brother's keeper and he has a brother living on 12 dollars a year in Kenya?

Get a clue, look at the facts...

September 4, 2008 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  18. Danny

i agree Harry should watch his words. But the amount of lies that they flung around the room in that convention are ridiculous. Oh, and about the oil debate. The Oil companies have 40 million miles of leased land, they drill in 10 million. Lets tell them to drill in what they have before we drill in what they dont.

September 4, 2008 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  19. scat398

did she just spend the last hour explaining why community organizers have no responsibilty? The people who donate their own time and energy with little to no pay to help make their community better? not to marginalize the work of the great state of Alaska, but a community organizer in Chicago probably works twice as many hours under worse conditions and has far more responsiblity. What on earth is wrong with these people? I've voted republican in every election, but as Obama said, enough! I can't take it anymore, these people are truly lost.

Were they chanting let us Drill...let us Drill? That's your energy solution for the future? Relying on 1920's technology. You could practicaly see the "RNC proudly sponsored by Chevron" on all the banners.

September 4, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  20. Marnie

I was completely offended at the comment Palin made about not needing a community leader. Who was it that came to the rescue of all of those people after Katrina. It sure wasn't our federal government or even the states. It was the community leaders. I was one of those who coordinated efforts to get supplies to the area's neglected by so many. Without those community organizers many things would be neglected in this country. I am sure she thought she was a community leader while she was in the PTA. What is that anyway? I was in the PTA, but I don't have to tell everyone or wear it proudly like a badge. I just did it for my kids.

September 4, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  21. Kathy

Her voice is like a fingernail on a chalk board. Obama/Biden for change from the mean spirited Republicans. They just don't get what the American people want. They are not it.

September 4, 2008 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  22. caywen

These rips on being a community organizer are low. I think Palin should try community organization before being the lousy mayor she was. She might learn a thing or two about leadership. Perhaps that's why she had to be picked in a virtual lottery instead of leading a movement of 18 million voters like 2 real leaders we happen to know.

September 4, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  23. Helen

Romney and Palin deride "Liberals" as people who believe government should help them while praising the values of the military.

Just who do they think the military works for? The government.

Who do they think pays for the military? We do with our taxes.

Palin spent most of her speech glorifying our dependence on our government squandering our economy to build military strength.

September 4, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  24. BBOvenGuy

Sarah Palin is Dick Cheney in heels. And isn't *that* a scary image?

September 4, 2008 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  25. Kay From Cal

I am a Republican but I'm not voting for McCain / Palin ticket. She is not V.P material. She has no experience in International policy. It is very scary to even think about having her as president if something happens to McCain during his presidency. Realistically, It could happen. Don't forget, McCAIN IS 72 YERS OLD!!.

September 4, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |