September 4th, 2008

Palin attacks 'shrill and sarcastic,' says Reid spokesman

Palin called out Reid Wednesday.
Palin called out Reid Wednesday.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is hitting back hard at Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night, calling it "shrill and sarcastic."

"Anyone who knows Senator Reid knows he never backs down when he's fighting for what's right and that he always stands up to John McCain when he is wrong," Jim Manley, Reid's press secretary, told CNN. "Shrill and sarcastic political attacks may fire up the Republican base, but they don't change the fact that a McCain-Palin administration would mean four more years of failed bush-Cheney policies."

The reaction came after Palin specifically called out Reid during her address to the Republican National Convention, saying the Nevada Democrat "can't stand up to John McCain."

"Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee. He said, quote, 'I can't stand John McCain,'" Palin said to roaring applause from the crowd. "Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. Amy H.

ok so she can give a speech and read a teleprompter and tells us she's a pit bull with lipstick..plus she showed us she can attack..wow..are these the qualifications?? I've been sitting the fence, until now, been waiting for her speech, waiting for her to tell me what she can do...I'm still waiting. I didn't watch the RNC to look at her kids and hear what a great mom she is. She lied about Alaska, they are in an ever increasing state of emergency and she done ...what? And she gonna be doing what?? I hear nothing. The whole part of "get to know ya" needed to come way before this..I really needed the Republicans to come out and say ...now here's what were gonna do..I heard not a word except attack attack attack..this is the first time I get to vote and the GOP has not impressed me at all

September 4, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  2. Michael O'Brien

Sounds like the same old politics. Maybe.., the real question is: Do I or (we) want four more years of the same ? I don't.

September 4, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  3. Tibor Lin

How long it will take before the DEM's will realize that they strategy is
    totally misguided an will cost the the elections ??

The IRAQ war issue is already bckfiing, and if the popularity of Bush
    as it seems begin to improve, their insistence on such will also
    be useless or even negative.

How about addressing the fact that the notion OBAMA learning to be
    President on the job will repeal the voters, by saying tha PALIN has
    the same problem they forget that a VICE-PRESIDENT can learn rapidly on the job with a experienced President is acceptable. Few
    will buy the argument that McCain will disappear during the first
    months of his Presidency !!

TIBOR

September 4, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  4. Monica

Yes, Harry, we ladies need to keep our thoughts to ourselves and sit in the back right? Obama is toast. Keep it up and the few women who have allowed themselves to be enslaved to the Democrat platform may just decide to leave the plantation for good.

September 4, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  5. Jackson

You left wing crazies like to get each other all geeked up don't you! All you have it hateful crap to spew and no fact. Your presidential candidate doesn't even match up to the GOP VP candidate and you're scared to you resort to name calling and scare tactics. Re-read some of your comments, they're just mean. You people need to get a grip!

September 4, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  6. Randy

I am sick of the way CNN has handled themselves during this entire election. You were and still are nothing more than Obama supporters. It is shameful and very sad.. I tell you this I liked Hillary and I love Sarah .Now I know who to vote for and it is largely due to the way you all treat them. I would have voted for the democrats if Hillary would have got the nomination. But I was undecided because I did not like Obama. But After what I saw from Sarah I would Vote for her at the top of the ticket. You all at CNN need to get back to reporting the news and stop making it. Send Jack over to MSN were he belongs then try to save what is left of your network and be fare to all candidates. Just for the record try asking questions about stuff that matters. Then (VET) your own stories before you put them on the air. I'm so sad I had hoped you all would just say we have got off track and will try to do better. You know like you always say Bush should do. Admit you made a mistake and maybe we will come back and watch you again someday soon.

September 4, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  7. Jose

The liberals are scared to death. Ha! I used to get annoyed by all the biased liberal media airheads on CNN, but then I realized the more they talk, the more they are rallying the conservatives to get out and vote Republican!

The arguments liberals are using against the GOP VP nominee can be turned back ten-fold against their own PRESIDENTIAL nominee... which just goes to show that JOHN MCCAIN IS A BRILLIANT STRATEGIST, AND KNOWS HOW TO KICK SOME SERIOUS BUTT!!

September 4, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  8. Trish

I found her speech to be exceptional and well-delivered...and I am a registered Democrat.

So many people here are trashing Sarah Palin because she gave a tough, almost angry speech. GIVE ME A BREAK FOLKS.!! Washingon needs tough motivated leaders...in particular in these challenging times. Obama has not shown me any backbone whatsoever.

So many people are wrapped up on Obama's words about hope...he is an amazing speaker but he lost me after constantly changing his mind on important issues. Total inability to make a decision. Sarah Palin obviously will stand strong on issues that matter most to this country. Obama just tells you what you want to hear. Had Palin given a more polticaly correct speech, then would you folks on these blogs be complaing about her? I'm sure the answer is no. Obama does the politically correct thing that will work to his advantage and that is exactly what we don't need in this country.....more BS from a politician who tells you what you want to hear to win your vote. Palin and Mccain dare to defy their party and act on what is best for this country. Obama's big fancy coming out party was over-the-top and made me sick. He's just a showman people and too many are falling for his great act.

September 4, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  9. Steve

Why are the republicans wasting their RNC on pandering to their own base when they should be trying to appeal to some of the undecideds?

Newsflash: The RNC was spectacular republican love fest, but what did they do to win over some of the undecideds and independents? By that token, there was no focus.

September 4, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  10. James

We saw cynicism at its peak tonight. They flailed repeatedly at the Democratic ticket. When they ran out of venom for the Dems they took those old reliable straw men out of the closet, liberals and the media, and mindlessly flailed some more.

McCain and his crew need to check themselves, because what I saw tonight made me ill. These people love to talk about character but they lacked the ability to rise above their petty squabbles. They mock elitism yet chuckle haughtily at their clever "jokes". They looked through their noses at community organizers, people who are in the domestic trenches every day, trying to help people fight back and regain some of what they had lost.

I'm an independent voter. I'm listening carefully to both sides. All I hear from the Republicans is snide mockery. No substance. No issues. John McCain had better come up with the speech of two lifetimes, because he's dug himself a deep hole in my eyes.

September 4, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  11. DIndependent

WOW!!!!!!!!! What an awesome speech! As a faithful Democrat voter for 20 years, I have switched my party affiliation to Independent and I am SO GLAD that I did. Palin's speech was right on the money, and it must have given the obama camp aneurysms to have someone calling them out on FACTS – the media certainly hasn't! I loved every minute of it – and she was only 'shrill' if you didn't want to hear what she had to say. I find it amusing, I must admit, to see the Dems scrambling and frightened. This is what happens when you screw over your base, Dems. You gotta pay the piper. If obama does somehow manage to squeak out a win, it is a travesty and a tragedy for this country. I say proudly – McCain/Palin '08!!!!!!

September 4, 2008 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  12. Will

She would have been able to appeal to independents and even some Democrats if she would have stayed more positive and focused on the issues and what would make her ticket better. But instead they took the normal Republican road of dirty attacks. Her speech was downright sickening and hearing Rudy before that was even worse. I hope Americans take it as it really is...a series of downright sleazy nasty attacks combined with a series of lies which will do nothing but divide the country even more.

September 4, 2008 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  13. Persio

Yes Gov. Palin you are right, Senator Reid is in charge of the do nothing senate. The Senate also has seen their highest disapproval rating in years, Hmm i wonder why? Get off your chair Reid and do something for the country.

September 4, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  14. David in California

Harry Reid is a nut bag!!! Make all the excuses you want and rally behind you famed community organizer. Maybe he can organize you all a nice gathering when you loose the election :)

September 4, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  15. JC

A Pit Bull with lipstick who believes that the Earth is flat as the VP of the most powerful country on Earth? Why does she think that she has the right to tell women what to do with their bodies? Oh, that’s right, she "talks" to God.

September 4, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  16. Dot in Atlanta

I agree and I think Harry Reid's comments were kind. I found her speech to be mean, hateful, cutting, divisive, and very EMPTY. She did not lay out any plans to address the issues facing American and she was untruthful. She followed the path of all of the speakers tonight.

As for the people who thought the use of the word shrill was sexist, this woman disagrees.

September 4, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  17. Reggie Boykins

Ahh! The good news is that she welcomes the fight.

Indeed, she is someone who will stand toe-to-toe with Biden in a debate. It would be a terrible mistake for Biden to approach this woman from a position of empathy; she has instigated a fight with the media (who doesn't really know her), she presents a disdain for Barack and his life's journey. And she seems prepared to promulgate lies, (particularly about taxing the poor), typical of Republican politicians.

Palin wants to prove she is tough and has come ready to fight. She should not be disappointed.

Biden has to, "take it to her" because she is not only asking for it, she wants it.

Palin has officially fired-up the Democratic base and as we thank her, we shall proceed to "squash" her.

The fight for the presidency is ON!

September 4, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  18. br1 IN

She is a blatant liar. They shouldn't be comparing her with McCain, they should be comparing her with Cheney and Rove.

September 4, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  19. Josh Julian

Sarah Palin is a truth teller and regardless of your poitical perspective, America does not need talkers with great charisma, we need people who can get dirty, work hard, and bring different sides together for some good.

Harry Reid should humble himself and figure out something that he can accomplish for the good of America. That is leadership! We need Leaders and trust me, Palin and McCain is not Bush!

September 4, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  20. kim

she did a good job, just like obama.
    No matter what she saying the demo will attack her.
    no matter what obama saying the repub will attack him.
    it just depend on which party you on.
    I admire them both.
    i wish they on the same ticket.
    may be in the future we should vote for president and vice president separetly, so we can pick and chose just like governor and lt. governor.

September 4, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  21. KC

Sarah is a good speaker but is she ready to be President should anything happen to McCain. Can she challenge the pressure that comes from the Middle East?

September 4, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  22. texas democrat

I think mccain and pallin are perfect together. They both have a lot of corruption between the two of them and i think they know how to get away with it. If these two get in office i think they will make bush and cheney look like boy scouts. Look out America we are heading for the gates of hell.

September 4, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  23. Tibor Lin

SORRY ! I repeat my gargled message!

How long it will take before the DEM's will realize that their strategy is
    totally misguided and will cost them the elections ??

The IRAQ war issue is already backfiring, and if the popularity of Bush
    as it seems begin to improve, their insistence on comparison with McCain will also be useless or even negative.

How about addressing the fact that the notion OBAMA learning to be
    President on the job will repeal the voters,.By saying tha PALIN has
    the same problem they forget that a VICE-PRESIDENT learning rapidly on the job with a experienced President is acceptable. Few
    will buy the argument that McCain will disappear during the first
    months of his Presidency !!

Tibor

September 4, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  24. Brian

One of the most nasty speeches I have ever heard. Trying to divide our country with fear and lies as the republicans do so well.

I cant believe she has the gall to demean Obama's experience over hers.. Obama did more for the over 3 Million people of Chicago as a community organizer with no budget then she has for the 670,000 people as governer with the state budget of Alaska.

This poor girl Palin has bit of more than she can chew. Wait on the debate with Biden. Biden knows how to war with words much better and he actually knows what hes talking about.

September 4, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  25. Ron DC

Palin was rehearsing "Rove's script" as was seen online today for her big Wednesday night debut.

Lot of half truths and the put downs of the Dems.

Would she put Cindy/Mcstake's jet on ebay too?

I can't wait for her Oct 2(my birthday) debate with Biden!

Biden will know to be gentle as he vebally pulls the knife out of Palin for the lies she will try to tell rather than tell the truth about how the Rethugs have financially and spiritually nose dived this country into being the laughing stock around the world for lack of leadership.

God help us if Mcstake would someway win and she is put in charge of this country if he would become incapacitated. Biden on the other hand does have experience on the world stage and would step up to the moment for President Obama.

We all know that!