September 4th, 2008

Palin attacks 'shrill and sarcastic,' says Reid spokesman

Palin called out Reid Wednesday.
Palin called out Reid Wednesday.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is hitting back hard at Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night, calling it "shrill and sarcastic."

"Anyone who knows Senator Reid knows he never backs down when he's fighting for what's right and that he always stands up to John McCain when he is wrong," Jim Manley, Reid's press secretary, told CNN. "Shrill and sarcastic political attacks may fire up the Republican base, but they don't change the fact that a McCain-Palin administration would mean four more years of failed bush-Cheney policies."

The reaction came after Palin specifically called out Reid during her address to the Republican National Convention, saying the Nevada Democrat "can't stand up to John McCain."

"Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee. He said, quote, 'I can't stand John McCain,'" Palin said to roaring applause from the crowd. "Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. Trevor

Palin rocked tonight! The Dem's are running scared. After the press and Democratic blogs ripped Palin and her family to pieces this week, they now are bitter and biting back when they got called out. Are all leftist loonies this stupid and hypocritical??????????????????

Obama and Biden got caught with their pants down with Palin's announcement. They have no clear answer or rebuttal to her. This Democrat is now voting for McCain and Palin! I have lost all hope in the Democratic Party! Pelosi has made a mockery of us. Clinton conceded to Obama and now we are screwed!

September 4, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  2. memeforobama

Obama and his campaign has been so gracious to this lady and this is how she pays him back??? Now that the gloves are off, you repugs and haters shouldn't cry wolf when obama's campagn comes back hard on her. don't cry sexism whem obama fights back. remember hillary clinton?? she attacked obama for months and when obama fought back she and her supporters started crying wolf.

Palin has initiated it and the repugs shouldn't use her gender when barack fights back. IF YOU CAN DISH OUT DIRT, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE IT TOO!!

September 4, 2008 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  3. Steve

Look, like her and her positions or not, Sarah has actually led and done something, and doesn't seem to have a problem leading or making decisions. Obama has a poor record with both. And when Sarah found the good ol boys in Alaska to be corrupt, she canned 'em. How long did it take Obama to even distance himself from his wacky pastor? Patsy? Maybe, but up to now she's walked the walk and talked the talk. Obama can't make that claim.

September 4, 2008 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  4. Annie

Great speech! Now how many criticisms did she have in comparison to the blatant attacks on McCain by Obama in his acceptance speech? Or was the little woman supposed to go quietly into the night in the eyes of democrats?

September 4, 2008 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  5. Ed

Its a pretty sad day in America when the best it can do is Mccain/Palin. Is this the best our many universities could do?

September 4, 2008 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  6. cincy

Home run!!!....deal..hahaha

September 4, 2008 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  7. rh

that NYC ex-mayor nut will get his, but dont let Bushlin off the hook either. ban together brothers and sister and show the rabid crowd what democrats can do to avoid 4 more years of promise everything and F the people once in office administration( McBush/Bushlin). donate at the barack obama site and don't get made but get even and vote barack and joe.

September 4, 2008 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  8. Dennis

It was a fantastic speech . . .for someone trying to fire up a small-town hockey game.

September 4, 2008 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  9. memeforobama

CNN IS NOT POSTING MY COMMENTS, WHY??

September 4, 2008 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  10. mafi

It's about time Rep. pick the right woman who will help McCain run our Country the way it should be. We need McCain and Palin leadership style to lead our Country to a better future and not like OBAMA, who's all talk and no action and not afraid to make decision at our time of needs like OBAMA. McCain loves his country so much that he almost died for it and not like OBAMA and his wife who listen to their anti-American hatred Preacher for over many years and all of a sudden distance themselves from him. Believe me we can all see throughyour pretense and two faces.
    I am also very disgusted at all the media coverage who have tried to destroy Palin and you all know who you are. Just to let you know that your trash talking of Palin just convince me more to vote for McCain and Palin. I will do all that I can to make rally as many people as I can to vote for McCain and Palin as well.

September 4, 2008 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  11. Tracey Jordan

It is a sad, sad, sad, day in America when a candidate has to trash their opponet to make themselves look better.
    It is obvious that Palin can't even run her own family let alone run the country! Don't tell me what the Dems, have not done...tell me what you as a Republican can do! It is obvious that Bush /Cheney have dropped the ball, do we as a nation really need 4 more years of foreclosures and high deficits? McCain is really good at telling POW stories...well , guess what, there have been several POW's, that I know,! Be glad that you made it back ALIVE, so many military members, that Republican George W Bush, sent over there did not get the chance to be a POW they were killed! So, let it go McCain and stop living in the past, tell me what you can do for our country now! Palin, you are not even worthy of a comment from me. Unfortunately you are not even smart enough to realize that they are using you, but when the election is over guess what? You will be the scapegoat, in true Republican fashion.

September 4, 2008 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  12. LD

After watching palins speech tonight I walked away feeling like all the hope and great feelings i had for the future of america, that the dnc, especially obama's speech, had once again turned into doubt and division of our great country. I am only 18 years old, i come from a conservative town and family. The reason so many of my peers are interested in the political process for the first time is because we have seen nothing but decline since the events on 9/11. We realize that this election can deliver the national unity, pride, and love that has been absent in the past 8 years. If this is how the mccain/palin ticket wishes to run this campaign focusing on attacks and not about the bigger picture than i refuse to waste my time listening to the same tone that lead us to this position.

September 4, 2008 03:03 am at 3:03 am |
  13. FORMER REPUBLICAN

SAFE TO SAY THAT HARRY REID DOESN'T HAVE TO ACTIVATE

2/3 OF HIS BRAIN TO DEAL WITH THE SECOND RUNNER UP.

September 4, 2008 03:03 am at 3:03 am |
  14. chocku

wow cnn is so fare rnc vs dnc...its a joke

September 4, 2008 03:03 am at 3:03 am |
  15. Shawn

I would never vote for them (McCain/Palin). I have in the past voted Republican but they have become much to nasty and devisive. The America I defend with my service was not represented in that audience. We need to come together as a country and stop trying to demonize those whom have a different opinion.

September 4, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  16. NJ Republican - suburban Morris County

The most gut wrenching part of this whole fiasco, was watching Cindy McCain, just laughing it up at the mean spirited personal attacks that were spewed out like bile from many of the speakers tonight.

She looked more like an audience member at Jerry Springer show than the possible First Lady. I almost expected her to stand up, pump her fist and yell "You go girl;" Is this the poise and grace we want from our first lady.

The speeches tonight and the responses from the audience have sunk the republican party, my party, to a new all time low.

i read that in the past 4 years nearly 1.5 million registered republicans have dropped from the party. I can see why and you can now add me to that total.

September 4, 2008 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  17. Jody

I guess it is somewhat comforting to know that sexism and misogyny are non-partisan concepts. Hillary or Palin – it doesn't matter. Each has gotten and will get a nice dose of sexist, misogynist hatred spewed at them. Anytime a woman speaks up, she is called shrill. Actually, now I am wondering if Democrats are actually beating the Republicans in a contest to see who can be the most sexist, misogynist, and full of deeply-rooted hatred toward women. Reid's office is certainly winning.

September 4, 2008 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  18. RobS

Shrill? Would Reid say that about a man? Sounds a little sexist to me. Palin nailed it and the fact that the liberals are wetting their pants over her "sarcastic" comments just shows how close to home she hit!

September 4, 2008 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  19. Sandra

No, no, Mr. McCain, you are not "putting out country first" by your desparate pick of Pelin. Although she could be an actor, she certainly can read a script well. I so look forward to the debates.

September 4, 2008 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  20. Canadian POV

Did it not bother Americans to hear a holder of an executive position speak with such disdain for the constitution, the will of the electorate and the law? When Palin bragged about using her veto powers so often, it was with glee. When she spoke of whether a suspected terrorist had any rights it was frightening. When she lashed out at the media for its success over the last few days to properly vet her, it was childish and ignorant.

September 4, 2008 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  21. John

I think that's what they said about Hillary. And we know how that's working out for Obama.

September 4, 2008 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  22. David Goldman

LET ME SEE NOW !!

MCBUSH IS BUSH'S SIDEKICK. AND THE

SECOND RUNNER UP IS THE SIDEKICK'S SIDEKICK.

YEA THAT'S THE TICKET.

September 4, 2008 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  23. Al Ram

Mrs. Palin is woman version of Mr. George W. Bush. It's all sarcasm and I am pretty sure will also do nothing about the country. She will be a good conservative radio talk hostess. Now I know that she can read using teleprompter. Excellent!!!

September 4, 2008 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  24. Sharon

Tonight Sarah Palin epitomized the very essence of the Republican Party....a complete lack of what America needs from its government. All I heard and saw tonight, especially from Palin was ugliness. In the last two days, the Republicans have shown total arrogance, a lack of good judgment and a cockiness that shows a deep disrespect for the American people whose votes they are trying to get. Not one speech has shown any substance, not one of them has talked about the issues that matter to most of the people I know, (i.e., our failing economy, health care, energy, rising tuition and our lack of stature on the international front.) To me they have showed their true colors. They can't beat Barack/Biden on the issues so attack them on false propaganda and hope no one notices that they haven't mentioned what their agenda is going to be to help this country. On talk radio today, I heard some of the stories about Sarah Palin and they weren't good. I decided to listen to her speech first before I made up my mind..well, they were right....and she's not what America needs. Actually, after a while I could have sworn I heard George W. Bush speaking, the similarities are frightening.

September 4, 2008 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  25. Joan

She read her speech well. If she had enlightened us on what their plan for America is instead of mocking and criticizing Obama, she would at least had a bit of credibility with me. All I got out of it was the ugliness and untruths. After the two previous speakers it was enough to make me sick.
    I do not think she is qualified to step into the Presidency if the need were to present itself.
    Americans better take heed-this is an important decision we are about to make, and it needs to be made with much caution and prayer.

September 4, 2008 03:07 am at 3:07 am |