September 4th, 2008

Palin attacks 'shrill and sarcastic,' says Reid spokesman

Palin called out Reid Wednesday.
Palin called out Reid Wednesday.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is hitting back hard at Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night, calling it "shrill and sarcastic."

"Anyone who knows Senator Reid knows he never backs down when he's fighting for what's right and that he always stands up to John McCain when he is wrong," Jim Manley, Reid's press secretary, told CNN. "Shrill and sarcastic political attacks may fire up the Republican base, but they don't change the fact that a McCain-Palin administration would mean four more years of failed bush-Cheney policies."

The reaction came after Palin specifically called out Reid during her address to the Republican National Convention, saying the Nevada Democrat "can't stand up to John McCain."

"Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee. He said, quote, 'I can't stand John McCain,'" Palin said to roaring applause from the crowd. "Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. Robin

What I saw tonight was not democracy ... it was fascism.

September 4, 2008 03:07 am at 3:07 am |
  2. pj

Great speach. I didn't know what to expect but I am impressed by her intelligence and definitely her confidence. Palin has a spine. And she has lived a real life, unlike the elitist Ivy League blowhards.

September 4, 2008 03:07 am at 3:07 am |
  3. kerry

Hmmm, shrill. I voted for Obama in the primary....then he became a politician...so I was going to sit it out....now I will be voting for at first I thought Ron Paul....but now I have decided to block with Mccain...I sure wish we could have a third party

September 4, 2008 03:07 am at 3:07 am |
  4. Jason

And we're back to the mantra of "us versus them" instead of reaching for common ground we can all believe in - something Obama discussed just last week.

The speeches tonight disgusted me. Not one real issue was discussed except more lofty threats of "terrorism" and the most horrendous calls for "drill baby drill" I've ever heard. The problem is that McCain and Palin have the wrong stance on the issues that matter most - they can't discuss those because they know the more American finds out about them ... the less votes they will get.

So they sling mud instead and just hope if they say "she has experience" enough times ... people will believe it.

I'm not buying.

September 4, 2008 03:07 am at 3:07 am |
  5. Fanya

First off I am a Democratic Woman that didn’t like Obama’s choice for VP. Although for me it was more of an “Obama’s not listening to us” thing then JUST a Clinton thing. I am also a Mother of Daughters, one of which is a “special needs” child. I am the bull’s-eye of that target audience John McCain is aiming at. Until her speech I was torn between voting for Obama, or none of the above.

I thought that Gov. Palin’s speech was good. She was personable, and at times funny. She showed that she has grace under pressure, a fine trait in an elected official. She made her case well,
    and clearly stated McCain’s plans for the future. I liked her.

Then something happened during the speech that sent a chill down my spine. She said, speaking about Obama:
    “Al-Qaida terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America ... he's worried that someone won't read them their rights?”
    and the crowd went wild.

I always thought that reading people their rights was a good thing.
    One of the best things about this Country
    The last line of the Pledge of Allegiance is:
    “With liberty and justice for all”.

And yet here was this building full of Patriots laughing at the mere thought of a suspect being “read his rights”. That’s frightening.
    They seem to be so caught up in the fear of terrorists that they have forgotten the things that make this such a Great Country to live in.

In 1759 Benjamin Franklin said: “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    I agree-so in the intrest of trying to save some of those laughable freedoms, I will be voting for Barack Obama in Nov.

September 4, 2008 03:07 am at 3:07 am |
  6. linda in illinois

She is a talking head for the republican agenda. They wrote the speech and she read it. Her voice and tone was IRRITATING. She sounds like a cheerleader at a football game. What sexism I saw.
    holding signs "hot" V.P. I would be VERY UPSET that my own party is a bunch of old white womanizing men. No diversity in the crowd.
    What is he EXPERIENCE??? Hunting,fishing,having babies and putting her town when she was mayor 20 million in debt??? Selling a palne on ebay then buying a sea plane for yourself??? Being a governor for 20 months?? Being a mom with a NRA card?? Not being there for your children because your career is more important??
    Dressing up dead moose?? Hunting from a plane killing bear and coyote??? Screaming DRILL,DRILL,DRILL for oil to make the middle east even more rich??? What is this women about????Observations: She is being made quickly into a Republican women....the little heavy jacket with the white pearls...I saw no chemistry between McCain and Palin. She seemed to cringe when he touched her....The convention to me seems like a big old party of old white men down in Texas...a bunch of Bushs "buddies" and Palin is the the party favor..She in turn
    parades her family around as if to prove she's a caring mother. If she was she would protect her daughter from scutiny and take care of her special needs children. It only shows how poorly she has balanced
    her career and family. I was not impressed.McCain is forgetful and does not show good judgement he has clearly proven this. So many qualified picks. What was he thinking. McCain has finally succeeded in putting the fear in me......thinking of her possibly being President SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!!!

September 4, 2008 03:08 am at 3:08 am |
  7. READY...FIRE...AIM...MCCAIN

ANOTHER MCSAME INTELLECTUAL FLUBBER.

ATTACKING RUSSIA IS HIS NEXT MOVE.

September 4, 2008 03:08 am at 3:08 am |
  8. Tudlow

This proves it.

The Democratic Party want us to come together as a nation to overcome our challenges. There is only one America, united, and we should regain our standing on the world stage after the Bush years.

The Republicans want us to hoot like monkeys and throw our crap at each other.

Both are STRONG platforms, I agree. Hmmm, which to choose?

I have to ask, which is better for Alaska?

September 4, 2008 03:09 am at 3:09 am |
  9. Republican for Obama

What an idiotic speech...This devil made Hillary look like a saint! We definitely need OBAMA to save us from evil!!

September 4, 2008 03:09 am at 3:09 am |
  10. Kim Aguilar

Well Republicans can't toot their own horn because of 8 disasterous years, and they can't come up with any stead fast solutions to fix their mess. So what else is left but to attack their more qualified opponents? Look ,John McCain should be concidered a war hero for what he endured as a P.O.W.. How does that make him someone qualified to lead this country. His decision to make Sarah Palin his V.P. is disturbing given her lack of experience.

As a registered Republican I'm sick and tired of the GOP's devisive retoric. I want leaders who will make an effort to bring our country together and promote unity, not further division. I will run not walk to my polling place and cast my vote for the side of "Change" right after I change my Party affiliate!

September 4, 2008 03:09 am at 3:09 am |
  11. TJ

All I can say is that everyone I have talked to is totally pumped and energized by this woman. McCain did the right thing and the middle of road dems I know along with rep that werent too excited are really ready for the vote to be tomorrow!!!! That makes about 12 of us just from tonight. Cant wait until tomorrow when I get to work and check emails from coworkers. This is a exciting race. Palin knocked it out of the ball park. One other thing. Most of the people I talked to that were leaning toward Obama said that because of the attacks on Palin and the way she handled it they felt drawn to her ability to take it and keep going. She did not get beaten down by the good ole boys

September 4, 2008 03:09 am at 3:09 am |
  12. Abdul Kadir Hussain

As a US citizen living arbroad for work purposes, I watched and listened in horror and amazement. When are we going to learn that we cannot walk alone in this world? We cannot bully the world all the time.

I will honestly say that I was sitting on the fence all this time unsure that I would vote, because I was not sure who to vote for. But after hearing that speech this first thing I did was register to get my absentee ballot. This lady is dangerous and she is nuts, if Mccain has the (mis)judgement to choose her then he does not deserve my vote. If McCain/Palin win, this world is going to be a lot more dangerous to live in. And last I heard and saw the USA maybe the most powerful country in the world but it is very much a part of this world. As Clinton says the world used to respect us not for the "example of our power but for the power of our example", lets get that America back.

September 4, 2008 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  13. UppityWoman

I'll admit it now, I was a little worried about Palin but no longer. My big fear was Biden would take the bait and not go head on in a debate with her. Clearly this "pitbull with lipstick" needs no special handling. She delivers a good attack speech. Next test: how does she handle unscripted interviews and debates. It's still the top of the ticket that matters, as far as I'm concerned. GAME ON!!

September 4, 2008 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  14. Disillusioned

Do the Republican'ts (intentional sp) have any positions or policies? It sure seems like all they know how to do is take pot-shots at Obama and Biden. Maybe tomorrow McCain will enlighten us with his platform; although, it appears there are serious differences between his positions and that of his VP. One would have expected them to be on the same page.

Having watched the DNC, it appears the Republican'ts did not pay attention when they watched it. They attempted to tout Obama's positions as the opposite of what he stated and his positions as their own. Very strange, indeed.

Now we know why the Dems were rolling on the floor laughing when Palin was named. Clearly McCain just handed the election to Obama.
    I didn't think Palin was shrill, she just looked like a KIWI – that would be: Keen Interest Without Intellect.

September 4, 2008 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  15. David Goldman

ALL RIGHT I GIVE UP.

WHO IS SHE ?????

September 4, 2008 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  16. Al Ram

Mitt and Rudy (Matt and Jeff) losers. Are you trying to land a cabinet positions if McCain wins? Sorrrrryyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

September 4, 2008 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  17. Seth Sharon

i thought her comment on senator harry reid was appropriate given nobody at least in the republican said (me included) enjoys harry's pessimistic views in life. he probably spends a lot of time talking to himself.

September 4, 2008 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  18. Myleen

I'm sorry, I'm a female so maybe it's okay to say this, but she acted like a total female dog (pitbull as she refers herself as) tonight. She completely disrespected community organizers, the average urban citizen and was unfairly vicious to Obama who has shown nothing but respect for her and her family. Her speech had absolutely no substance and did not relate to people living in the populated part of the U.S. I really believe she showed her fangs and it will backfire as I have already read that Independents are voting for Obama because of her abysmal performance.

September 4, 2008 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  19. Dmitriy

She won my vote

September 4, 2008 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  20. Hussein Means Handsome

It's interesting how the Obama ticket is trying desperately to run against Bush and not McCain
    ---------------------–
    That's because McCain IS Bush. And Palin is Cheney with lipstick.

September 4, 2008 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  21. Scott in Texas

I anticipated Palin's speech with an open mind. But substance or not, the lasting impression was a veep candidate whose snide and smarmy jabs revealed narrow-minded partisanship.

I'm going to go out on a limb here: Palin will prove to be FAR MORE DEVISIVE than Hilary ever was! And that's the last thing this country needs right now. McCain may be running on the slogan "Country First" but who's country? The country of the right-wing neo-cons?

September 4, 2008 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  22. R.Deezy

My main concern is a 3 month old baby with down syndrome being exposed to a 45,000+ watt public address system in addition to 20000 screaming adults with no ear plugs on. All in the name of scoring political mileage!!!!

September 4, 2008 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  23. Connie

Governor Palin proved that she is a good reader but she should
    of proof read her speech to find out that the speech was full of' garbage, sarcastic, hideous, ridiculouse words. She also proved that she can be in the comedy hour of imatures.
    If this is what she is bringing to Washington, she can pack her bags and get back to Alaska and good riddance of the PITBULL WITH LIPSTICK. We've trying to get rid of the male pitbull without lipstick that has haunted the white house for the last 8 years.

September 4, 2008 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  24. K Arma

I am starting to get tired of the same 'ol politics. I was sick to my stomach as I watched the RNC and Sarah Palin's speech. I feel as though there are "Two Americas" and this presidential race has become more about the first female in the "White House" versus the first half African American male. Who will get there first? At this point, who cares. I'm more interested in the economy and why there aren't any jobs so "American" can take care of their families. I was upset that the McCaim campaign tried to hide Bristol's pregnancy and now the whole family is being exploited–You could hear McCain bragging about the "good shot" (photo op) at the end of the Gov.'s speech. No one is talking about bringing the country together–The whole world is watching and biting their nails.

September 4, 2008 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  25. Dave in AZ

The speech was rude and sarcastic. As I watched the crowd react to her stabs, it gave me a sick feeling. I didn't hear one thing about issues important to me.....economy, healthcare.

I voted for Bush....twice (I'm a good ol' Texas boy living in AZ). I can admit that I made a mistake....twice. I've had it with the Repub party.

To borrow a line from Obama, ENOUGH!!!! I had to go back and watch Obama's speech. At least, he tried to reach across party lines. The speeches tonight just left me with a sick feeling. The Repubs are still missing it .......it's not about Obama, it's about me, and Kate from Vancouver, BB, Rickhou, Wooten, C, etc...

September 4, 2008 03:12 am at 3:12 am |