September 4th, 2008

Palin attacks 'shrill and sarcastic,' says Reid spokesman

Palin called out Reid Wednesday.
Palin called out Reid Wednesday.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is hitting back hard at Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night, calling it "shrill and sarcastic."

"Anyone who knows Senator Reid knows he never backs down when he's fighting for what's right and that he always stands up to John McCain when he is wrong," Jim Manley, Reid's press secretary, told CNN. "Shrill and sarcastic political attacks may fire up the Republican base, but they don't change the fact that a McCain-Palin administration would mean four more years of failed bush-Cheney policies."

The reaction came after Palin specifically called out Reid during her address to the Republican National Convention, saying the Nevada Democrat "can't stand up to John McCain."

"Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee. He said, quote, 'I can't stand John McCain,'" Palin said to roaring applause from the crowd. "Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. Phil

Am I the only one who thinks her voice and accent are completely unbearable to listen to? I know its shallow but that seriously would kill me after 4 years.

Anyway, besides that, talk about a difference in tone between last week and this week. Last week was inspiring without having to resort to more than a minimum of barbs at the republicans....but this week, the entire convention is about bashing the other side...which kind of reeks of no substance.

And Im sorry, but those people look like the descendants of lynching party organizers. Talk about HICK.

September 4, 2008 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  2. raquel

to add, oprah may provide white men's housewives cars but sarah has the gas for all of them. to oprah, pay attention who you're helping...the audacity of you thinking you and your money can influence politics..

September 4, 2008 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  3. go palin go

NO MORE WILL THIS UNQUALIFIED AFFIRMATIVE ACTION OBAMANATION OF A PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE GO UNCHALLENGED. DEMS, YOU CHOSE YOUR INCOMPETENT CANDIDATE NOW LETS SEE HIM FIGHT IN THE REAL POLITICAL ARENA.

PALIN WILL CLEAN UP THIS MESS OF AN ELECTION, AND SHE HAS EXECUTIVE EXPERIENCE. SHE WILL KEEP SWINGING.

AND PALIN IS BETTER LOOKING THEN OBAMA TOO!

HA HA HA. DEM LOSERS

September 4, 2008 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  4. Mary from Oxford

I thought the RNC was a joke. I have lost all respect for Giuliani, and I think that Palin speach was so amateurish. Is a matter of fact I was so disgusted that I turned the channel. Tomorrow again will be amateur hour when McCain speaks. This is one family that won't be watching. They are insulting the american people's intelligence. God help us if McCain and Palin get voted in.

September 4, 2008 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  5. Elisabeth, Las Vegas

Campbell Brown has chickened out because of attacks on her by the GOP for the segment she did on Sarah Palin. Tonight's alleluia chorus she sang about Sarah Palin does not reflect on her as having conscience or being able to stand the heat. So my advice for her is: get out of the kitchen and make way for someone with sterner stuff to do the job at hand!!!!

September 4, 2008 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  6. Victoria

Palin gave Obama a bloody nose tonight

September 4, 2008 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  7. Kelley

Oh my God, she mocked Senator Obama? Say it ain't so......

Give me a break....

Go drink some more kool-aid.

He's a joke and you know it. Never introduced any bill into legislation, other senators let him take credit for their bills, HE voted present about 100% of the time.

I think he would be better suited to hand out fishes and loaves.

I love how Democrats talk the talk in September but come election day in November, can't walk the walk to the polls.

Face it folks, the Republicans always win!

September 4, 2008 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  8. fmr. Hillary Supporter now for McCain

When are you Obama lovers going to realize that your boy just got exposed tonight for the big phony that he really is.

Just the thought of it makes your body crinch, doesn't it? Well GOOD!

And as for you, Bobby your so full of it why don't you go to your mother and throw up on her.

McCain/Piden '08
    Clinton/Whoever '12

September 4, 2008 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  9. Darrell

What happen to your Moral belief? A teenage daughter thats drinking and having unprotected sex is not good morals. Also, I did not hear one thing about our broken economy, maybe you didn't have enough room for bad mouthing Obama.

September 4, 2008 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  10. Naomi Hollingsworth

I really enjoyed Sarah's speech. I have NEVER been more concerned with an election in all my life. I will make sure I vote for McCain. It is not about being part of a political party, it is about AMERICA. I have been watching both Obama and McCain and I must say that I will NOT vote for Obama. I have to follow my heart. I cannot understand how anyone would want a man in the White House that is ashamed of the American Flag and removed it from his plane. I know that for a fact because it was here in Hawaii and was seen with our own eyes. He will not place his hand over his heart either. That concerns me. You will not fight for something you do not believe in. Wake up America!!!!! Wake up America!!!!! There is something in the name..................OBAMA. I do not think so!!!!!! I pray for America and I pray for all of us if Obama wins this election. I plead with you, think about what you are doing. Turn your TV off and go on line and read about Obama. I live in Hawaii, and trust me, he did not grow up poor like he claims. I am really getting tired of the Media speaking so highly of Obama and putting down McCain. We need the facts. It is one thing to talk the talk but another to WALK the WALK. I do not feel Obama can walk the walk. If I were in a fight and wanted someone beside me to fight, it would not be Obama. He is probably a nice man, etc., but HE IS NOT SOMEONE THAT should be the Leader of this GREAT country. Michell Obama has never been proud to be an American........................well maybe she should try living somewhere else and then she might realize just how BLESSED she has been living in America. A nation that FORGETS GOD will fall. We are falling fast!!!! I am ready for a change and it is NOT the OBAMA change. Yes, we will have change with him but it will not be postiive.

September 4, 2008 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  11. Henry

No WAY... Please tell me I am dreaming. Is this the America I know and everyone dreams about coming to. This is THE MOST ridiculous convention ever. I mean ..... I don't even know an adjective that can describe how I feel. Is this Palin lady serious ... this is what a 5 year old does in pre-school recess... I mean ... I done.... Please wake me up in 2012 or maybe when someone with common sense is running. Till then I will be in political hibernation.

September 4, 2008 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  12. SS

Four more years of the same type of negative, divisive politics that George W. Bush brought us for 8 years. And, quite frankly, it's entirely obvious that McCain only picked Palin to pander to women.

What's shocking, though, is that some people still can't seem see that McCain will not 'Reform Washington.' McCain IS a Washington-insider. He has been in the U.S. Senate for decades.

September 4, 2008 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  13. Musicpromo

Tonight the GOP convention was absolutely repulsive, and it's going to be great to see the backs of them come Nov 4th. It's funny that they want to to reform their own mess. I say take a few years off and get back to use when you grow up. I will not vote for these two and I feel like most american will not as well.

It's Obama for me!

September 4, 2008 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  14. VP of Alaska, maybe?

I can't believe even hardcore republicans really think she's a good choice. There's nothing about her that says she's ready for VP or *gasp!* president, and she's got baggage a' plenty. I don't understand why McCain picked Sarah Paulin when my 80 year old mother was available.

September 4, 2008 04:01 am at 4:01 am |
  15. all fluff

Palin used a mans coat tails to further her carrier at the RNC. How do you explain that the messaih for womens rights spoke not about her own REAL accomplishments for 45 minutes (ok being a mom to 5 kids, atleast one of whom is an unmarried pregnant 17yr old is hard work) but focussed on how one man is the right choice and the other isn't. Hello?

September 4, 2008 04:02 am at 4:02 am |
  16. Black Gold

“Drill Baby Drill”

lol

fear fear fear

blah blah blah

babble babble babble

Big deal – so she can read. Palin’s speech was so annoying – I can’t relate to her or the small minds in the republicans party. This Texas mom is donating more money to the Obama campaign and my income comes from natural gas and oil. HA! I'm registering and voting for the first time. So there!

September 4, 2008 04:03 am at 4:03 am |
  17. DR from Scottsdale, AZ

Is there anybody who feels intimidated? Yes??

Well then, you've not seen anything yet!

GO SARAH! GO MCCAIN! DARE TO ATTACK HER BECAUSE SHE IS A WOMAN!!!

September 4, 2008 04:05 am at 4:05 am |
  18. Kodi

This might sound un-patriotic, but I really don't mean for it to. I understand that we need to look out for our country, but "Country FIRST"? Really? This actually reminded me of the Nazis. Whatever happened to "Humanity First"?

Tonight, they made it seem like if we voted for Obama, we would all be killed by terrorists. I'm going to guess they don't have a 30 second clip on youtube anywhere that says Obama is PRO-terrorism.

And as a mother, it's difficult to treat your children the idea that if you don't have anything nice to say, you don't say anything at all if the leaders of our country can't abide by that simple idea.

September 4, 2008 04:06 am at 4:06 am |
  19. SoWhat

After all the crap that this poor woman has had to endure from the Democrats over the weekend about her family, I would not blame her one bit if she was "shrill and sarcastic". Her speech was honest and forward. Democrats and the democrat-biased press just can't understand that type of speech.

September 4, 2008 04:07 am at 4:07 am |
  20. Danny, OH

Since this Convention started, How many speakers have talked about what the country is going through and what needs to be done? NONE.
    And that's what some illiterates want.
    As long as they are republicans, they will go for it even if the party has a DOG on its ticket.
    Its so sad this is not happening in AFRICA but rather in the US of A

September 4, 2008 04:08 am at 4:08 am |
  21. Rae

I found her fairly boring, and even kind of annoying. I didn't even think she was a good speaker, she reminds me of my son's 1st grade teacher.

I don't understand why anyone thought this was punching. She was boring.

September 4, 2008 04:08 am at 4:08 am |
  22. Valeri Dvnae

Palin equal trash talk
    Palin equal political opportunist at the expense of her baby
    Palin equal mixed message
    Palin equal a jealousy of the DNC convention
    Palin equal a disrespect for people she don't agree with
    Palin equal an antagonist gone wild
    Palin equal handling International Affairs with Trash Talk
    Palin equal drilling on the prinstine coast of Alaska and
    making big money for certain people
    Palin equal supporting a party that bashes the poor and
    plays the Welfare Card
    Palin equal give me the VP job and I'll say whatever you want me too

September 4, 2008 04:08 am at 4:08 am |
  23. Mrs. Independent

I am sure now that I will not be voting for McCain/Palin they are too negative. What about the issues?

September 4, 2008 04:10 am at 4:10 am |
  24. Cathy

As a life long democrat, I have been turned off by the press and Obama's supporters. We were told this was a campaingn that was different..well Obama stays above the fray and the talking heads have done his dirty work. I could never vote for Barack Obama, he reminds me of cotton candy..all talk no substance. I am either not going to vote or will vote for McCain. Message for Obama supporters..grow up!

September 4, 2008 04:10 am at 4:10 am |
  25. Indipendant

Obama offers only Chicago style old school right wing corruption. He stands for himself and hides behind the left for support. Look for the truth behind the lies.

September 4, 2008 04:11 am at 4:11 am |