September 4th, 2008

Palin attacks 'shrill and sarcastic,' says Reid spokesman

Palin called out Reid Wednesday.
Palin called out Reid Wednesday.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is hitting back hard at Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night, calling it "shrill and sarcastic."

"Anyone who knows Senator Reid knows he never backs down when he's fighting for what's right and that he always stands up to John McCain when he is wrong," Jim Manley, Reid's press secretary, told CNN. "Shrill and sarcastic political attacks may fire up the Republican base, but they don't change the fact that a McCain-Palin administration would mean four more years of failed bush-Cheney policies."

The reaction came after Palin specifically called out Reid during her address to the Republican National Convention, saying the Nevada Democrat "can't stand up to John McCain."

"Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee. He said, quote, 'I can't stand John McCain,'" Palin said to roaring applause from the crowd. "Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. Tony

Was that Palin or Anita Bryant on stage last night????

What a joke!

September 4, 2008 06:11 am at 6:11 am |
  2. chippyarm

What bothers me most, and is terribly upsetting, is what Sarah Palin said about Republicans being the team that can best help children with special needs. As a father of a child with special needs, It was very sad that not only did she use her trig, her five month old, as a speaking prop, but to insinuate that the Republicans can best help those with special needs is much more than insulting. I know that those of you who do not have special needs children (of course, all children have special needs, specific to them in some way), may have not seen through her on this. The Republicans have never been the party that helps the children with special needs. I am not ging to go into detail about historical facts. I also know that many of you will then say that my post has no substance, but my goodness, don't buy into what she said about Republicans being the team that helps these kids more than Democrats. I nearly cried as I listened. These kids, mine included, need true support. Republicans will not deliver on this.

September 4, 2008 06:11 am at 6:11 am |
  3. Hunter - A redneck from Kentucky

I didn't hear a single word of policy! She could for instance talk about sex education in schools – vital tool for lowering teenage pregnancies!

September 4, 2008 06:12 am at 6:12 am |
  4. Steve

Well, if anyone knows shrill and sarcastic it's Harry Reid...what a loser!

September 4, 2008 06:12 am at 6:12 am |
  5. Dianne from Africa

A few questions:

1 – Why are Americans so terrified of strong women? Almost every other major (or thinking) country in the world has either had or still has a women leader or VP, including little old South Africa. You've shown abject fear of Ferraro, Clinton and now Palin.

2 – Why is the media so biased towards Obama? What happened to fair reporting? Even the aged Larry King appears not to want to even listen to a Republican caller.

3 – Please, someone answer this, without vitriol: Why are Obama supporters so DEFENSIVE? What's good for the goose is good for the gander . . . But . . .if anything is said by the McCain/Palin camp, it's "shrill and sarcastic"; if the same thing is said by the Obama camp, it's noteworthy and "of the people".

4 – Why is Obama's inexperience good enough for the Presidency, but Palin's is not good enough for the Vice Presidency? Be honest with yourselves, democrats, before you get defensive . . .

C'mon – I really thought you guys were brighter than this. I've even lived in your country, so I've met some bright Americans. Apparently, "bright" doesn't necessarily mean "wise".

September 4, 2008 06:12 am at 6:12 am |
  6. CJ in FL

It's great! Liberals are terrified of this lady (evident by thier ridiculous but all too expected name calling)!

Here's a suggestion...how about we evaluate the candidates based on thier experience and agenda? Oh wait a minute...that would guarantee the Obama/Biden ticket's demise. Never mind! Continue looking stupid, Dems.

September 4, 2008 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  7. Andi

If the only thing you can find wrong about Palin is that her tactics are "too sarcastic" then by God I am the happiest person in the world. I am definitely voting for McCain and Palin. I thought she gave an excellent speech. And OF COURSE the Dems are going to hate her. Good grief, live and let live! My whole family is a bunch of democrats and I used to be a die-hard Obama supporter, but not anymore. I am so sick of the Obama campaign and the people who support him. Their politics are weak, they don't have a good agenda for the economy. I would much prefer Hillary over Obama, but that's out of the question now. I don't even know how Obama made it to the finals anymore. I absolutely reject anything that the entire Hollywood and Media support. Obama is like a "God" to Hollywood and the liberal Media and I'm sorry, but he isn't everything you guys think he is. I can see through it all and he's weak. I love Palin because she's fearless. No matter what people say about her family life, about her in particular, she still has her head on straight and is completely ready to take on this country as a serious reformist. And I love that about her. I love that she's a reformist. Does Obama want to "shake things up" in the white house? Hell he doesn't even really care! He just wants the votes! Our country is going to hell in a handbasket fast because all the morals and values of good decent people have completely demolished. It's evident because Obama is on our voting ballot. He represents nothing good. I don't see any good coming from him. But on the other hand, I see a lot of determination and fight in the McCain party and that's what I've been waiting to see for a very long time. I've been waiting for a party who can live up to what they say and it's been proven through their past experience. So GO ON AND ATTACK PALIN ALL YOU WANT! Hah! I'm still voting for her. I think she's got your whimpy Obama beat.

September 4, 2008 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  8. John

Thank God we don't have to listen to more of this tonight with McShame's speech... It's the opening night for NFL Football season..... Not a hard choice.

September 4, 2008 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  9. alvino

No matter how much sugar and chocolate you put on the republican message, it's still manure. Rudy still thinks al-qaeda and Bin Ladin were in Iraq, Mitt's speech came out of the late 70's and blamed liberals for the failed Bush policies of the last 8 years. If a person could go to jail for lying to the American Public, these two would be locked up with hapless Joe Lieberman.

Finally, Sarah did a great job off the teleprompter. I felt sorry that John McCain has to hide behind her skirt. So much for working together with Democrats if John gets elected. At least she energized the Hate Base of the Republican Party.

September 4, 2008 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  10. Brad IL.

My family and I have just watched Gov. Palin give her speech and were happy to see the fire in this woman. As a Democratic family who wanted Hillary in office and loved Bill Clinton's experiance as Pres. Never have liked Joe Biden and never thought Obama had any real experiance in Political Office, not even in our own state. We will be switching parties this year and I think alot of other Hillary supporters will also.

September 4, 2008 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  11. Holland

It is true,
    the American Election is just a big reality show.
    Nobody looks at issues and that's why the country is going backwards.

September 4, 2008 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  12. Roger

She said absolutely nothing. Good speaking and sounding good doesn't make up for no substance.... just like a sleazy used-car salesman.

September 4, 2008 06:15 am at 6:15 am |
  13. Michael J, Toronto

"Shrill" – why did he have to use a word that is only used to describe women. Doesn't the DNC 2008 platform include standing up to sexism?

September 4, 2008 06:15 am at 6:15 am |
  14. Marion

It is apparent that men, of both parties, don't know when a remark is sexist and when it is not. Perhaps they should run their remarks by a woman before they make them. Just a hint: Any remarks that are singular to the famale gender are sexist. If the remark sounds stupid when applied to a male, it is probably sexist. For example, attack her policies but not her voice.

September 4, 2008 06:16 am at 6:16 am |
  15. Terry Williams

Reminds me of a neighbor I once had. He used to sic his dogs on people he could not stand up to. Go Rover1

September 4, 2008 06:16 am at 6:16 am |
  16. charles

sounds like the dems are a little sensitive when it comes to someone criticizing them. It's ok for the dems to attack McCain, Palin and Bush, but don't dare say anything negative about Obama or Biden. How many times did Obama meet up with Biden before he picked him? He didn't even consider Hillary. How can Obama claim he is change when he selected someone who is old school politics and been in the Senate for over 30 years? That's right folks, he is all about change. What he doesn't tell you is that his change would take us back to the 1960's. Palin's speech last night was dead on target and dems better get used to her blasting away at your candidate because you're going to see a lot more from her. Obama is an empty suit and Biden is just a bitter old man. Next!

September 4, 2008 06:16 am at 6:16 am |
  17. bill for barack

It's clear that McIdiot did NOT choose a V.P. who has leadership abilities and the experience necessary to lead the nation.
    Insteadhe chose an attack dog whose family has the morals of gutter-dwellers, who is already in trouble for criminal activities in office, and who, if elected, will bequickly shunted aside to be forgotten – mercifully so.
    The American people have been insulted by this choice.

September 4, 2008 06:17 am at 6:17 am |
  18. Jasmine in Germany

Lots of attacks, many of them false or misleading, but nothing concrete on the issues.

September 4, 2008 06:17 am at 6:17 am |
  19. Danel

She may be better speaker than McCain BUT Hillary is better speaker than her.. Most of her attacks to Obama are false. Very sarcasm, no substance. Guiliana isx a smug. Spent $51m for a signle deligate, now that's a joke!! Romney isa another one spent hiw treasure but he can't even buy the presidency. At least I give some respect to Huchabee.

September 4, 2008 06:17 am at 6:17 am |
  20. Steph from Maine

Palin gave a great speech. I'm a single working mom (3 teens) who supported Hillary and am now throwing my support behind McCain.

I was so disappointed that Obama didn't have the courage to do any joint-townhalls with McCain.

And these attacks on Bristol Palin (daughter) make me sick. But I have hope that some Karma is on the horizon!

September 4, 2008 06:17 am at 6:17 am |
  21. elle

the speech was written by the bush cronies....mite as well write off the environment, science and tolerance........fear as usual. Give me the community organizer at least i know he is FOR the community!!!!

September 4, 2008 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  22. Ted

Obama and Biden have been exactly wrong on some of the most important foreign policy issues of our day. Judgement and the decision making process escape both of them. What is the GOP ticket going to do for the economy? Not take more money out of people's pockets, which means out of the economy and shipping it to Washington in the form of taxes. Washington has never been an effective means of income resdistribution. Hard work, saving for the future and living within your means are how you stay out of financial trouble. Oh...and never look to Washington to bail you out of every problem you have...with other people's hard earned money.

September 4, 2008 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  23. Zion

Palin is a POOR speaker in every since of the word. I am now wondering how she even became governor of Alaska. I am just so insulted as a woman that a party that has made it its business to label feminism as a sin is now trying to play the sexism card and use a woman as bait. Her McCain may win, but it sure won't be because they deserve it. Where did they say she went to college again? Journalism? Seriously...

September 4, 2008 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  24. Lee

It's insulting that the media speculates whether women will vote for the McCain/Palin ticket just because of Palin. I'm sure we're smarter than that. I would like to see every American citizen pick up the paper and educate themselves on all the candidates' positions. Don't vote for a candidate just because their a woman, a man, an African-American or a war hero. Vote on the policies YOU believe in!

September 4, 2008 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  25. Trig Palin

Both Guiliani and Palin were shrill.

September 4, 2008 06:19 am at 6:19 am |