September 4th, 2008

Palin attacks 'shrill and sarcastic,' says Reid spokesman

Palin called out Reid Wednesday.
Palin called out Reid Wednesday.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is hitting back hard at Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night, calling it "shrill and sarcastic."

"Anyone who knows Senator Reid knows he never backs down when he's fighting for what's right and that he always stands up to John McCain when he is wrong," Jim Manley, Reid's press secretary, told CNN. "Shrill and sarcastic political attacks may fire up the Republican base, but they don't change the fact that a McCain-Palin administration would mean four more years of failed bush-Cheney policies."

The reaction came after Palin specifically called out Reid during her address to the Republican National Convention, saying the Nevada Democrat "can't stand up to John McCain."

"Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee. He said, quote, 'I can't stand John McCain,'" Palin said to roaring applause from the crowd. "Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. Cindy

He's not being sexist... Look if she's a VP candidate and comes out with those kind of attacks against the Democrats, they must expect the Democrats to fight back.. The Republicans better not even throw the sexist card at us...And if they do, they will only be doing it to distract us from the fact that they have yet to tell us about their policies to fix this economy...If anything I think they will use it to be the "victims" and vier off the issues that Americans are really interested in.

September 4, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  2. Tired Of It

If Palin was any kind of a breath of fresh air....she has been suffocated.

Bush's speech writer wrote that horrible speech.

Bush's foreign policy advisors are tutoring her on foreign policy.

How are they trying to get away from Bush when she is spitting out the same load that he did for 8 years from the same people?

–Republican voting for Obama

September 4, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  3. Benz

Only In American.
    The only women that will fail for this gimmick are the women who supported Hillary for the wrong reasons. The intelligeht ones have moved on. Nothing has changed – Bush 3rd term. I cannot believe tat any resonable woman who cares for her childrens future actually can imagine this woman being a step away from presidency. Do we have that many of ignorant women. Compelling story is that of a man who almost rejected being sworn in to take care of his family. Anyone can have children not everyone can be good parent.
    Juliani a man who cannot manage a family is challeging Obama. It is actually funny to see all these unccessful politicians cirticise Obama.
    Republicans go ahead and pretend to be happy but be carefull because cama comes back to everyone who has ever criticised Obama.

September 4, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  4. Ashu Rathor

She was scary. I am a religious man and I am praying to Almighty that this baracuda or Pitbull is not left loose as I know she will eat me alive. Very dangerous a true dictator. No morale values. No respect for law. Underage kids having premarital sex, getting pregnant, underage child wedding being talked about. Isnt it illegal? Where are child protective agencies? They were all over Britney. Has she compromised them? Infants being paraded. Son is in Alaska National guard. His unit now going to Iraq. Well who does Alaskan troops report to? How does he gets picked in time for Election and all this talk and marketing about it. Very manipulative and scary indeed.

September 4, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  5. White older evangelical woman from the south for OBAMA

I hope she doesn't call it sexism when the democrats fire back.

It's the economy stupid.
    What are your plans for women when you seem to be against every economic and health care issues affecting women and children?

When you are against equal pay for women; some of us don't have husbands working wih big oil companies.

Don't make down syndrome an issue like POW is for McCain.
    It's the ECONOMY!!!

September 4, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  6. Art

Note to Zen: I share your feeling, my heart sank as I heard her put down what she did not agree with. So many people do so much good, so many communities are strengthened by coming together and the consensus of the group bonds them to their project – all are welcome. That was about the most unwelcome speech I think I can remember hearing. I guess she's trying to prove that women can be attack dogs too. Most women I know are smarter than she is – and above that level of disdain for those they don't agree with.

September 4, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  7. Obama 08

Let's see what she will have to say at the debates without the crowd, speechwriters, and her little posse telling her every move to make. How dare she through arrows and darts at Obama and Biden when they did nothing but defend her the whole week while everyone else raked her over the coals. She doesn't know what she is doing. I hope these same people will be around to heal her wounds in the weeks to come.

September 4, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  8. E.C. Givens

In hearing Mrs. Palin tonight, I realized as an independent voter, I once again by the Republican party was preyed apon on the fear that somebody is going to attack America. As I sit and watch people around me lose their homes, jobs, and family lively hoods, the main focus they have is to scare me into voting for John McCain. The more I truly think about things over the last 20 years, I've only seen war when a Republican was in office, so my fear now is that we're not safe with Republicans in office.

September 4, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  9. Angry woman

No SHE WILL NOT that speech was just down right ugly. I was ashamed that she would give her first impression of nothing but bashing. This is why this country is so divided with all of the hatred and bashing each other. The speech gave no solutions / substance on what problems we are having. McCain is just using this woman as an ATTACK DOG. I have a special needs child. I would never politically exploit this developmental disabilities to get ahead. Why all of a sudden Special Needs is a topic now. That was mean. She can't reach out to me with that. She has nannies to care for her child. I have myself and my husband to care for our child. So don't think that because your child has down syndrome you can make it better for all parents that have special needs in their family. That really hurt my feelings. They will not get my vote just because of this exploitation.

September 4, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  10. Jeff in Ohio

Gov. Palin, is to be applauded for showing up. While she attacked the Democratic ticket, with the traditional republican gravatas', she failed to explain to the American people what the McCain-Palin ticket will do to address the unemployment caused by Bush free-trade agreements.

When the press get a chance to examine her record as a Mayor of a City of 7,700 vs Obama running a campaign that has thus far employs thousands, and has raised in excess of $100 million, I find it hard to see the lack of executive experience.

Please don't forget that Alaska is the 48th state in size. That means that there are major urban centers (which have been the victim of the Bush policies) that exceed her state in size. Yes she is a governor, but she is governor of something small in population.

These comments aside, once you got past the insults, and conservative cleshays, there was really no substance to what she said

September 4, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  11. Leslie from Garden Grove, CA

This is a lot of hooey – this is what happens when you have nothing to say about ACTUAL issues affecting people without 7 houses and making less than 5 million dollars. This is what happens when you get desperate. Obama has always taken the high road, and my God – I'd rather have faith in Barack's promises than this crazy woman and a crazy vet on his death bed, along with the robotic members of the crashing and burning GOP!

Obama/Biden '08! Let's seal the deal!

September 4, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  12. Stephanie Mpls MN

She was smug, sarcastic and I think the term "shrill" is very fitting. But here we go...can't say anything about her without being called sexist. Please, Giuliani was just as shrill, but people won't jump to his defense. If we are going to have to be careful about the words used, then she can't claim to be as tough as she is.

September 4, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  13. Debi

Sarah rocks! She was right on!
    I am so proud that there are good women role models still out there for our young girls to look up to and that she has a real American family that makes real people mistakes and deals with them appropriately!
    I am so excited for America!

September 4, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  14. sophy in NY

last weeks convention was electrifying, unifying and inpiring. this one is a slugfest that makes me cringe on every "punchline"

September 4, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  15. KC

I am so sorry my fellow commenters, I am a recovering republican. I have grown older and wiser and I have listened to both convention speeches. I cried tonight listening to the republicans. What did I hear? War! Win at any cost! Make no acceptions! The crowd does not represent America! The republicans do not represent America. For the first time in my life (beside when they taught us to duck and cover in case of a nuclar war) I am very afraid if the republicans get into office. Please Americans look at the history of who we are and who we should be. I have hope.

September 4, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  16. Mark Martin

If John McCain does actually win this election, I can't wait to see the reaction of the new President and VP when they try to reach across the aisle with Senate Majority leader Reid. So much for the bipartisan approach of McCain and his caustic VP choice. Is caustic more acceptable to CNN than shrill, or are we being too mean to the inexperienced secessionist from Alaska. Wasn't it Abraham Lincoln the first Republican that ended secessionitis once and for all.

September 4, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  17. Muyoyeta

What experience is Palin talking about that outshines Obama? Presiding over 7 000 people in a room and visiting Canada and German makes her more experienced? This Palin lady will regret to attack first – so far Obama and Biden have restrained themselves from attacking her and here she is calling for a 'pitbull' fight. She will soon be screaming sexist! Watch this space!

September 4, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  18. Eileen

Palin has no experience. The town she was mayor of had about 7,000 at an all-time high but they failed to mention that they were counting addresses – of those addressed only about 50% are inhabited full-time. As for her Governorship, anybody who has a year and a half under her belt who is under investigation, who has Utube clips showing from her own lips that she flip-flops (she fired her ex brother-in-law's boss because he wasn't cutting it with fish and wildlife to the following week giving him another job saying he was the best man for the job with fish and wildlife, etc.) The reason she got the governship is because the guy she ws running against was despised and she was the lesser of the two evils. At that time she had 80% approval rating – it dropped to 68% approval rating recently. Gee, they forgot to mention that. Just because I have breasts does not mean I will vote for somebody who shares the same anatomy. If McCain had a heart attack she is not ready to lead. If something happens to Obama, Biden can take over in a heartbeat. For McCain to say he puts his country first and then makes an irresponsible pick like Palin ticks me off. By a democratic process we choose the President but that person chooses his VP and we have no say-so – we just trust they'll make a decision that is good for the country. McCain failed. My 17-year old son saw through that and said that it by McCain making that choice it shows that he is more concerned about winning (to win over the female voter) than he is about the U.S.A. Pathetic!

September 4, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  19. Amy

And the fools are rushing in....the Republican Party is finished! McCain lost me when he announced Palin as his running mate.
    Can you imagine just a heartbeat away? OMG!

September 4, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  20. Fouad Attia

It was a sad speech, full of anger. It sure reminded me of Bush's talks. Sorry, I cannot take any longer the fear ticket as a solution to our situation today.

September 4, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  21. aliou FL

McCain's judgement is at play here. Palin is a separatist who is not only inexperience, but she is an opportunist who is arrogant about itl.

September 4, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  22. White older evangelical woman from the south for OBAMA

GREAT!! NOW WE CAN ALL ATTACK EACH OTHER

She laughs when a radio host calls her female opponent a cancer(youtube)

This woman actual calls Hillary a whinner during the primaries (youtube) Now Hillary is her hero.

Are we fools? Doofus
    She makes chenney look safer.

September 4, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  23. Joseph

It is disgusting for the republicans to parade all these photo ops of the happy extended family at the same time they deride anyone who asks legitimate questions.

When is Palin going to get out of her hotel room and the scripted teleprompter and answer a few questions:

– Why do separatists consider Palin a friend (and explain her husband's 8 year membership in that group)?

– Why does she abuse power and seek vendettas on the local and state level?

– Why is she stalling an investigation on abuse of power now when just weeks ago she pledged to fully cooperate?

– How did she gobble up millions in earmarks (federal taxpayer funds) for her small town yet still left it in severe debt?

– How she can justify vetoing sexual education funds even as her underage, unmarried daughter gets pregnant while supposedly being home with a severe case of mono?

– Why does she think the Iraq War (and an oil pipeline in Alaska) are God's will? (her words)

– What books did she tried to have banned in her town while mayor, and why she tried to fire the librarian for not complying?

Oh, and for good measure, why did she lie in her first public statements, claiming to be against McCain's famous 'bridge to nowhere' when she had actually been an ardent supporter until the very end – and then promptly used the federal taxpayer money for other projects?

She can snarl with the best of the republicans, but she can't tell the truth about herself.

September 4, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  24. Kathleen

It's over for McCain/Palin. Most people will be offended by Palin and what she stands for, she seems to think we are stupid and can't see past the pretty face. When you have nothing, you attack and they have nothing to offer. This country would go down fast if elected. Were already a nation of debt, death and depression and it's getting worse everyday. Bush announced today he's sending 20,000 more troops! And McCain is all for it plus another 100 years at war. Seriously folks if Obama isn't elected we will go down fast as we watch our tax dollars go to a war that is not protecting our country all while we continue to loose our precious young men and women. Please America get it right this time and let the healing begin. I'm with you YEN we need a collective prayer.

September 4, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  25. Moe, NY

Why can't the republicans stop with the childish name calling and address the issues? This whole convention was a bad joke! Nasty, very nasty people. Perhaps the republicans cannot address the issues facing Americans today because they are at the root of our problems and they do not seem to have any idea how to fix the problems. Absolutely no new ideas, all stuck in the past. IT'S THE ECONOMY STUPID!

September 4, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |