September 4th, 2008

Palin attacks 'shrill and sarcastic,' says Reid spokesman

Palin called out Reid Wednesday.
Palin called out Reid Wednesday.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is hitting back hard at Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night, calling it "shrill and sarcastic."

"Anyone who knows Senator Reid knows he never backs down when he's fighting for what's right and that he always stands up to John McCain when he is wrong," Jim Manley, Reid's press secretary, told CNN. "Shrill and sarcastic political attacks may fire up the Republican base, but they don't change the fact that a McCain-Palin administration would mean four more years of failed bush-Cheney policies."

The reaction came after Palin specifically called out Reid during her address to the Republican National Convention, saying the Nevada Democrat "can't stand up to John McCain."

"Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee. He said, quote, 'I can't stand John McCain,'" Palin said to roaring applause from the crowd. "Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. jane in CA

McCain is rather selecting a pitbull to tear Obama down instead of selecting a VP to help him uniting and fixing the country.

September 4, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  2. No recession in Texas

What a great introduction to a powerful well-spoken woman.
    I was concerned, but no more.

September 4, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  3. Hillary4POTUS

I wonder if anyone came out and said she is only a beauty queen who can't no experience in anything but using her looks to get what she wants. Community organizers actually add value to their communities, beauty queens take from their communities, they do not use their brains just looks. I was leaning McCain after Hillary lost but as a community organizer working with abused women I am voting Obama / Biden

September 4, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  4. june

Her speech reminded me of an episode of WWE wrestling where people take centre stage to demoralize their opponent. The crowd responded with their signs and applause. All Palin did was focus on her opponent without offering one single solution. If she wants to pick up Hillary supporters, she better understand that Hillary was all about solutions,. Not about the same negative attacks on their opponents. She has just proven with her in the White House it will be more of the same. The town she was mayor of she indebted $22 million dollars. Hardly something to be economically proud of.

September 4, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  5. Thomas Williams

Absolutely riveting speech by Sarah Palin. Also, a stupendous
    delivery from Major Juliani. Good grief, this ticket has it all!

Just think, as VP she will be next in line in 8 years for the
    Presidency, at 52!!!

Sarah Palin showed the perfect balance of charm, strength
    and tenacity in her fight for John McCain and their message
    of Republican Reform, not directionless leaderless blind
    hope, to build on the strength of this great country, not to
    tear it apart.

September 4, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  6. Independent voter

From an independent perspective, and a young voter...I felt like she was waiting for an applause right after each statement. I don't know if I am the only who had notice this pattern where she would somewhat was waiting for affirmation on each statement. It seems like she wanted everyone to pinch her in every statement she made, as if she wasn't even convinced on her own speech. The speech really showed weakness. She should've pinched herself really hard before she walked up the stage...

September 4, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  7. Jill

Mr. Reid is correct. Palin's speech was shrill and sarcastic. She did not address any of the issues. We didn't hear anything about the economy, no details on energy, or how this ticket plans to help real working people. We don't know anything about her knowledge of Foreign Affairs, about Iraq, Geogia, Korea or Pakastan. What we did hear are, what we in rural America would call Whoppers. She did support the "Bridge to Nowhere." She said she wanted to help special needs children, yet she herself cut funding for that as governor-not to mention cut funding for help for pregnant teenagers. She left her small town of Wasilla in debt. I hope in a future speech she will address the discrepancies in what she says and what she has done.

September 4, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  8. Jim

The difference between the Republican and Democratic conventions is stark. The Democrats talked about their plans for lifting the country out of its current mess and forcefully articulated the differences between their approach and that of Bush/McCain. But their differences were on issues. They had no need to resort to disrespectful demonization and ridicule. The Republicans, by contrast, have nothing else but the tired old Bush-league politics of sneers, smears and spin. Obama/Biden will win this election, but the country will emerge as divided as ever and the Republicans will spend the next four years engaged in political guerrilla warfare and sabotage, blaming any problems they cause on the administration's failure of leadership. How sad that we have been dragged into this seemingly endless political civil war.

September 4, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  9. Sandy77

Maybe some people are fooled by the nasal voice, the creationist beliefs, and the running-for-high-school-student-council-president speech, but I am short of disgusted. Believe me, I'm not a sexist who thinks Palin shouldn't be VP, and I'm not in complete belief that a successful President or VP has to come from Washington. I do, however, believe sound judgement, building bridges between adversaries, and the power to inspire a generation to seek to better our country through our own self, are profound unwritten qualifications for a successful president. Governor Palin, neither you or the gentleman who selected you fit the qualifications that would get you my vote. Governor Palin, I hope you are prepared for the national media scrutiny that your colleagues have undergone for years, and decades. Quit your whining, and step up to the plate. Hope you have answers for your alleged affair (from the same folks who broke the Edwards story), your ongoing investigation for abuse of power, your flip-flops on the few issues we have a stance on, and the long list of items not listed, and those waiting to be discovered.

As far as the GOP....For all of their "small government", "balanced budget", "drill, drill, drill, drill to solve the energy crisis", and "patriotic monopoly", the facts sure tell an opposite story these days. Under Bush expanded government, a devastating deficit, allowing Exxon to record the HIGHEST profit margin in the history of the WORLD, and allowing American citizens, soldiers, to DIE for an unjust war that was unprovoked, should have never been fought or waged is NOT patriotic. Bless our soldiers for answering the call of our country, however misguided it has been – I certainly don't hold individuals accountable for the incomptence of their leaders.

Thanks GOP, I'll take a candidate who wants to RID our dependence on foreign oil through clean energy. I'll support the candidate who really offers tax cuts for ordinary Americans and has detailed sources on how to balance our budget. I'll vote for the guy (..this year...maybe woman in the future??) who has lived the American story, is intelligent, thoughtful, and doesn't make rash decisions (like picking a VP without properly vetting her). I'll take a candidate who has inspired me to better myself, dedicate myself into service and improving my country, one voice at a time, until we are a united country for change. Yes, we can.

September 4, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  10. Highlyblessed

Well, since Sarah Palin came out swinging, she can't get mad when she gets gut punch the next day by Obama and Biden and their democratic supporters. She wanted to dish it out, so she'd better be ready to take it without complaining about sexism.

Can't wait for the VP debate, so Biden can rip her a new one. This is getting really good. Best blockbuster of 2008, oscar worthy.

September 4, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  11. Chester

Guiliani's speech was the nastiest, meanest, most snide, and most divisive I've ever heard at a political convention, and I've watched every one for at least 40 years. I hope he doesn't plan to run for office in NY again - I don't think he'll get many votes after this performance.

September 4, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  12. Jimi

What I saw tonight was an articulate, strong speaker who is filled with anger, venim, and I can see her standing over someone kicking them and yelling. The RNC seems to be filled with nothing but angry name calling & fear mongering. No one has it all right, but I sincerely worry about this country if individuals like Bush, Dick C, Palin, and now John M are left to build the world they think as it should be. With towering walls, banning books, and inhibiting peoples' rights all in the name of justice. The U.S. will become a scary place.

September 4, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  13. Kate

I find it hilarious that Harry Reid could actually describe Palin's speech as shrill and sarcastic after his hateful and ugly speech at the DNC. He is terrible and I can't believe anyone takes this man seriously.

September 4, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  14. Bella

Palin may have been an attack dog tonight but not many in America want another attackdog in the WHITE HOUSE or near it. we want Adult leadership, civility in our disagreements and a President who understands it NOT about him, this time ITS ABOUT US.

In my opinion Ms Palin FAILED to deliver what she needed to deliver to the nation, she may well have fed red meat to the red state republicans but what MOST of America was looking for was meat and potatoes for the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

I am so tired of the kind of politics Palin and the other speakers displayed tonight. I think many in our nation are as tired of this as I am. I was an on the fence Hillary supporter willing to give Sarah Palin a fair hearing but what I heard from this nasty woman tonight has made me get off the fence and now support the Obama ticket.

September 4, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  15. Zeke Trevor

Without a doubt three of the most hateful speeches I have ever heard. I definitely heard a lot of partisan stuff last week from the Dems, but this was almost shocking. The sad truth is, a great deal of America responds to this. I just hope we can take the campaign back to the issues – regardless of party affiliation or your position on issues, I think we're all worthy of debate on real issues.

September 4, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  16. karen

Nobody likes smugness and sarcasm. Mocking someone is even worse.

She wasn't only mocking Obama, to me she (and others) mocked anyone who supports him. That just solidifies my vote for Obama.

September 4, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  17. Edmund Burke Conservative

I was disappointed by the viciousness of the convention tonight.
    I think she could have been presidential without having stepped so seamlessly into the attack mode of the earlier speakers. Although that's the traditional vp role, perhaps it was not the best one for her in this case.

September 4, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  18. R. Woodbury

You only have one chance to make a first impression. Palin showed as relentlessly negative, though glibly so. Palin is little more than a professional harpy.

September 4, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  19. Millie

Palin insulted me tonight by putting down my life's work. I am a social worker and community organizer. There is no reason for the putdown. But I guess Ishe also put down the work of other community organizers such as Jane Addams, Martin Luther King Jr, Mother Theresa and yes Jesus Christ. But that's ok, because she just motivated me to go out tomorrow to register new voters to help make FL a blue state. WRONG group to insult, because we are all about organizing and taking action!

September 4, 2008 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  20. Matt in Kansas

How has the attacks on women worked so far by Obama? Shrill is a code word for a WOMAN. Obama, after being discarded by his mother, now wants all women to pay. Any member of the DNC is speaking for Obama, period.

September 4, 2008 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  21. Obama08

We need LEADERSHIP in this country again, not ugly divisiveness!

September 4, 2008 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  22. Charlie Black

I'm offended that she attacked community organizers. So what are their policies, PTA vs Community Organizers? Will she sell Air Force 1 on eBay to fund more war? Give me a break McPitbull! McCain/Palin is T O A S T.

September 4, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  23. Chris, in NC

Same old stuff...attack attack attack. Nothing new from the Republicans, no substance, no talk of the economy, no plan for health care...just one big Dem-bashing from start to finish. That kind of bluster is typical among people who have nothing to say. Wake up America...we need something more than, "well...um...we haven't had a terrorist attack in seven years"

September 4, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  24. Diana

I have to imagine she was highly effective at energizing their base. And the comments I'm hearing from regular people seem to reflect this. But it certainly didn't do anything to make me like her more. Shrill and sarcastic pretty much sums it up for me, too.

September 4, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  25. Obama 08: 60, white, female.

What struck me was not only the tone and disrespect all of the speakers, including Gov. Palin, to the Americans who have supported Barack Obama, was the diffenece in tone in the aydiences in the two conventions.

The Democrates in the audience applauded hope, vision and the furure. there was joy in that audience. There was a sincere love of country and each other.

In the Republican audience there was hate, anger and a collective support for smear and derision of their fellow Americans. There was a smuness and arrogance that has been part of this party for too long.

John McCain and his running mate have set an example that will NOT unite a country that greatly needs it but will divide it exactly how it is. Nothing positive will come from this Republican "leadership".

September 4, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |