September 4th, 2008

Palin attacks 'shrill and sarcastic,' says Reid spokesman

Palin called out Reid Wednesday.
Palin called out Reid Wednesday.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is hitting back hard at Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night, calling it "shrill and sarcastic."

"Anyone who knows Senator Reid knows he never backs down when he's fighting for what's right and that he always stands up to John McCain when he is wrong," Jim Manley, Reid's press secretary, told CNN. "Shrill and sarcastic political attacks may fire up the Republican base, but they don't change the fact that a McCain-Palin administration would mean four more years of failed bush-Cheney policies."

The reaction came after Palin specifically called out Reid during her address to the Republican National Convention, saying the Nevada Democrat "can't stand up to John McCain."

"Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee. He said, quote, 'I can't stand John McCain,'" Palin said to roaring applause from the crowd. "Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. GeoLee

Bobby, I met the candidate one time...on television tonight and I, in fact, have made the determination that she is not ready to be vice president...no way, no how, no Palin..EVER!

September 4, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  2. Highlyblessed

And she was so off based on her accusations, and yet she failed to mention her oh so recent flip flops on the "bridge to nowhere", she hired a lobbyists to get millions in earmarks, and left her itty bitty town of 6,500 in debt to the tune of 20 million when she left office. But she didn't mention that.....but the media sure will. And of course the Republicans will say it's sexism.

So tired of them playing the sexism card. If you want to play with the "Big Dogs", come ready to play fair and don't pull the sexism card when you lose. This is why she should've been vetted sooner and maybe groomed for the job, so she'd be ready and not have to constantly rely on the sexism issue. It's repetitive and irritating to hear, and I'm a woman.

September 4, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  3. A Hillary Democrat

Reid....the truth hurts...the deomocratic no good congress has done nothing much less with Obama. Sarah gets my vote ... for the first time I will vote Replubican.... Hillary in 2012

September 4, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  4. Taisha

Not only was I offended by Palins comments about community organizers but I was also deeply hurt. A couple of days ago, they showed pictures of Martin Luther King Jr and Rosa parks as to say they were showing gratitude for there historic accomplishments. But now you turn around and make a mockery of the man who primarily is the reason black americans are where they are today. Martin Luther King was a community organizer. He organized all the way to Washington! I don't take her comments lightly and i don't think any American will. We have great people who accomplishe BIG things by organizing the community first. This just goes to show she is an extension of the Bush/Chaney error, and she should be ashamed of herself.

September 4, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  5. Pam in AZ

Tonight, an Independent voter just decided to vote for Obama. If that is the way the Republicans want to run their campaign, I will not engage in it. I have voted for McCain for years and he just lost one voter. Sarah Palin was shrill and rude and hateful. Disgraced our gender.

September 4, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  6. candy

I think Sarah Palin was great!! She didn't have to use eloquent words, or talk up herself. I thought the attacks on Obama were truthful. The democrats have slammed her enough since she was announced as the VP pick. Instead of playing with words, she laid it out on the line in plain words that everyone could understand.

As far as her daughter being pregnant, I guess that most of the democrats have the perfect families. Jokes can be made about the recent hurricane from the democrats, but that's OK. I am ashamed to say that I used to be a democrat.

September 4, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  7. Democrat Abroad looking for GOP beef

Snappy sound bites below the belt – and to hear the crowd, they loved it. So what does it say about the GOP and their base? Too much talk radio and the willingness to be led by the nose of anyone who inflames their emotions – welcome to the fundy cracker base that Palin was selected to appeal to galvanize for the General Election. Sad and cynical without substance. GOP: Where's the beef?

September 4, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  8. Independentandlovingit

McCain's new ad puts another stitch in what we've called his pattern of deceit on Obama's tax plan. This one claims Obama and congressional Democrats plan to push forward "painful tax increases on working American families" and that they will bring about "years of deficits," "no balanced budgets" and "billions in new government spending."

The ad is plain wrong about higher taxes on working families. In fact, Obama's economic plan would produce a tax cut for the majority of American households, with middle-income earners benefiting most. As for "years of deficits," exactly the same claim could be made about McCain's program. It's unlikely either Obama or McCain would balance the budget, and both are projected to increase the debt by trillions.

Analysis
    We've already reported on at least three other ads, in both Spanish and English, from Sen. John McCain's campaign that distort his rival's tax policy. The ads claim that, for example, Democratic Sen. Barack Obama would raise taxes "on the sale of your home" and that he has a "history of raising taxes" and that he wanted to raise taxes on "families" making just $42,000 a year.

Claims like these have led us to say that McCain's campaign is engaging in a "pattern of deceit" when it comes to describing Obama's tax plan. This most recent ad fits right into the template.

September 4, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  9. damon bazzeghin

I found her speech to be very refreshing, no double speak, misspeak, what is is, et al. She does not mince her words, is very competent and confident. I find liberal Democrats an incestuous bunch.

September 4, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  10. Sammy

Her speech was well delivered and obviously the crowd loved it. In the coming weeks she will definitely be able to hold her own and dish out some pretty good attacks. But I heard nothing inspirational in her speech. The republicans always knock Obama for being inspirational but I dont know what so bad about it.. irregardless of the message. If Palin was less of the self described pit-bull with lipstick and talked more about her ideas for America it would have been better.

September 4, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  11. Keith

I found her speech to be mocking, sarcastic, and divisive – this isn't the 2004 election!

September 4, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  12. democrat 4 life

Lets really look at the experience comparison:

Obama:
    B.A in political science from Columbia University, with a specialization in international relations
    J.D. in Law from Hardvard, graduated magna cum laude; President of the Harvard Law Review
    12 years (92-04) teaching constitutional law
    7 years State Senator: sponsored more than 800 bills
    4 years Senator for Illinos, a state with 12.8 million people

Palin:
    Bachelor's in journalism from University of Idaho
    4 years Wasilla City Council (8000 people)
    6 years Wasilla mayor (8000 people)
    1 year "Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission"
    20 months governor of a state with 660,000 people

America won't vote for Palin. In her speach tonight she said nothing about her plans to help our economy, foreign policies, health care, etc. The entire convention keeps talking about how McCain was a POW. We give him that respect but on the real side, who cares if he was a POW 50 years ago!!! I want to hear deliverance from both candidates instead of his VP pick being bashful and unable to deliver. The others need to stop with their failed presidential nominations and possible VP picks.

September 4, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  13. Ron Cram

Gov Palin gave an outstanding speech tonight. Folks we are looking at a possible 16 years of McCain/Palin. No wonder Dems are in meltdown. They are so panicked they are looking everywhere for a scandal and just can't find one.

The troopergate thing is a non-entity. Monegan admitted being an at will employee who could be fired at any time for no reason at all. Regarding any possible pressure that may have been put on Monegan to fire the trooper, so what? The trooper was never fired so it is a moot point. This thing will be circular filed in no time. None of the other so-called scandals are even worth mentioning. Even Obama said to leave the kids out of it.

September 4, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  14. Jim

Gov. Palin seems exactly like a female clone of George Bush. She inflames prejudices, vilifies her opponents, uses sarcasm, ignores facts, appeals to cultural conservatives, believes the Iraq war is God's will, is a hypocrite in her personal life, etc. She has almost no ideas and would continue the Bush/'Cheney policies in every respect. A pretty smile does not mean change, only deception.

September 4, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  15. Michele

Does Palin realize that Nevada is a "toss-up" state that the Republicans are trying to win in Nov? Does she really think the best strategy is to call them a "do-nothing state".
    Maybe she's not so smart after all...

September 4, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  16. Jean

The definition of shrill in my dictionary is "high-pitched and piercing in sound quality". It says nothing about this coming only from a woman. I agree with Reid, she hurt my ears!

September 4, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  17. INDEPENDENT

This is what makes people proud? Reducing political discourse to mudslinging and angry rhetoric? She may be pretty. Heck, she might even be a good Governor. But the last thing America needs is more angry blowhards in the White House.

Why do Republicans think it's a good idea to demonize everyone they disagree with? Where is the honest debate about issues?

At least last week we heard the Dems talk policy plans and solutions to problems.

These Republicans are mean, ugly people who make me afraid for America's future!

September 4, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  18. HelpAmerica

I am a woman and I agree with Harry Reid. Sarah Palin's speech was shrill and sarastic. That the truth not sexisms. I am tired of everyone acting like Sarah Palin's is a piece of gold. She accepted the nomination and put her self under scrutiny. Let's be honest this woman has alot of skeletons in her clothes.

It's like my mother told me about buying a house. I was complaining about the mortgage company asking for so much information. My mother asked me what would I do if a stranger came to my door and asked to borrow a hundred dollars. Wouldn't I ask a lot of questions?.

Sarah Palin is an unknown, before I give her my vote I want to know everything about her. If she is not ready for that then she shouldn't have accepted the nomination.

September 4, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  19. Confused beyond Belief

Good lord this is getting crazy. Ok, Im not American, I will never vote in an American election, but yeah, us Canadians are following this very very closely, and the vast majority of people I talk to are shocked that MCSAME and his cronies are even CLOSE in the polls ...this shouldn't even been close for McCain!!

Now you have the media, doing what the media does ...THEY create the talking points and the talking points seem to be focused more on sexism than your 13 trillion dollar debt. Obama and Biden will not be able to look at Palin without it being sexual in nature, and that is exactly what McCain wanted. What better way to avoid talking about the real issues your country is facing than to paint all Democrats as pigs.

Palin is a woman, YEAH they are going to say things, like (shudder) "shrill" about a woman, but were it a man they may have used the word "bellowed", would that make it sexist against men? No, because men have owned Washington ..you girls who want to play with the big boys had better grow some thick skin.

And to all you so called Hillary supporters who will now go pout and vote for McCain just because your girl didn't get in this time: Shame on you! Way to take the " cut off your nose to spite your face" attitude.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that common sense will win out and Obama will make history this November!

September 4, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  20. Little Dude in Africa

Yes, she is a good speaker with out goals.

September 4, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  21. Garey

I am so sick and tired of hearing the Dems state that this ticket is another failed Bush administration.

That is all they can say. Obama is without a doubt the biggest joke I have ever heard of. He has done nothing what so ever to become the next President. Please, name some SERIOUS accomplishments? You cant. Chane, theres another hollow statement... The only change will be another family in the White House.

I am so afraid if Obama gets into Office what this Country will go. Can you sas Marxism??? Thats where this guy will take us. One World Government, One World Currency... What a joke...

McCain/Palin For My Vote...

September 4, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  22. It's Over

Wow!!! When the CNN left wingers in the media start talking about how she knocked this one out of the park you can believe ... BO & Joe are in a great deal of trouble!

How many times did BO vote "present?" I knew it was a lot but he really doesn't have anything to run on.

Keep on attacking Sarah Palin. It's gonna bite you in the backside. BTW, those that didn't hear a strategy for fixing the economy wasn't listening very closely.

But I loved Rudy's line ...

"Change is not a destination, just as hope is not a strategy."

Raising McCain!!!

McCain/Palin 2008

It's not about color, it's about character!

September 4, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  23. Brant

I think the meanness and sarcasm played will in that room, but I don't see it changing too many votes, and it may backfire a bit. The speech was expertly written, by someone else, but I thought her delivery sounded a bit like one I'd expect at city council meeting. Not authoritative, but parroted.

September 4, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  24. TXMomof2

Well Astrid,

She did push, but then don't you all going crying when the Democrats push back.

Sarah Palin called Hillary's charges of sexist treatment "whining" and said women had to expect scrutiny and tough treatment.

So I don't want to hear any "whining" out of her or the McCain camp when she is treated just like any other politician.

September 4, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  25. Dexter

Good night if you are a republican. Bad night if you are a democrat. Boy, Ed Schultz and Stephanie Miller was struggling tonight. They were quite a bit bolder last night, especially when Ed Schultz was attacking Sarah Palin as a bad mother. I did flip over to MSNBC long enough to watch them flop around trying to figure out how to criticize her performance.

All of the dem's talk about unifying is disingenuous. Campaigns don't spend hundreds of millions of dollars to loose. Unfortunately nothing is off the table. She had nothing to lose to hit quick and hit hard. I'm so sick of hearing "20 months of being a governor does not prepare you to be president". Ok, I don't necessarily disagree with that but do you "really" want to go there? Good luck trying to bash her tomorrow about her contrasting "community organizers" versus "Mayors".

Finally, keep the faith. I am sure if you dig deep enough (through city council minutes) you might find something to get some traction with. In the mean time, be careful, pit bulls bite. Especially ones with lipstick. :>)

September 4, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |