September 4th, 2008

Palin attacks 'shrill and sarcastic,' says Reid spokesman

Palin called out Reid Wednesday.
Palin called out Reid Wednesday.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is hitting back hard at Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night, calling it "shrill and sarcastic."

"Anyone who knows Senator Reid knows he never backs down when he's fighting for what's right and that he always stands up to John McCain when he is wrong," Jim Manley, Reid's press secretary, told CNN. "Shrill and sarcastic political attacks may fire up the Republican base, but they don't change the fact that a McCain-Palin administration would mean four more years of failed bush-Cheney policies."

The reaction came after Palin specifically called out Reid during her address to the Republican National Convention, saying the Nevada Democrat "can't stand up to John McCain."

"Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee. He said, quote, 'I can't stand John McCain,'" Palin said to roaring applause from the crowd. "Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. R. Squibbs

I was really surprised she put so much emphasis on being a "reformer," and being against the Bridge to Nowhere and against earmarks. By now, everyone out there (except for Republicans who close their ears and minds to the truth) knows that that's just plain false. She did the Obama campaign a favor tonight with her standard Republican attack and these blatant falsehoods. I can see the ad already: Business As Usual.

September 4, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  2. Sherri

She lied. She attacked. She pandered. She showed her neo-con roots. Sarah Palin is no Hillary Clinton. This hate filled speech will go far in uniting all of us Democrats. For that I'm thankful. I share no values in common with Sarah Palin. She did not have her facts straight. Shame on her. No McCain/Palin ever.

September 4, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  3. No Way

Regarding the swipe at Michelle Obama - isn't that a tad hypocritical coming from a supporter of Alaskan independence (allegedly...)? Supporting secession is a clear indication that you are not exactly proud of your country. Also, was Sarah Palin really pleased to accept the nomination to be the VP of the "United" States, or is she hoping for more chances to further promote the interests of just one? Hmm....

September 4, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  4. thisniss

You know, there's angry and there's angry. People in this country are fed up, and rightly so, with an administration of crooks and liars. We're "angry" about leaders who have used partisan attacks and the politics of "divide and conquer" to shield them from accountability. That (my friends) is a righteous anger.

On the other hand, there is the Angry Right, who use their vitriol, their sarcasm, and – yes – their shrill attacks to divert attention from the real issues. Do their insults put food on our tables? Do their chants of "U.S.A. U.S.A U.S.A" keep us any safer? Do their mocking taunts advance a single position that will move us toward positive change? No. But they sure get people riled up. They *want* people to be angry. Anger keeps us from seeing the truth. It keeps us from focusing on the real culprits – THEM! For the GOP to come into their convention and try to act like someone else has been in charge these last eight years is just ridiculous. And for them to act like the solution is to be MORE rabidly partisan, MORE aggressively conservative, MORE like Bush than Bush himself?? Yeah right. How dumb do they think we are?

Palin ~was~ shrill and sarcastic. She had nothing new to offer, so she resorted to the politics of mean. We've had enough, and we're not going to take it anymore. That doesn't make us sexist, it doesn't make us elitists, it doesn't make us "the angry left," and it doesn't even make us all Democrats. It just makes us sensible Americans who want more for our country than we've had under their so-called leadership.

September 4, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  5. D in Phoenix

Just another political hack. How long does the McCain camp think they can keep their self-described "pit bull" wrapped up? If she can't come out and run with the big dogs, she should stay on the porch.

Someone should have told her that if you play the role of attack dog, you can't later play the sympathy card.

By her sniping, she has lost all cover when the National Enquirer throws the KO punch. She will also get no sympathy when the Dems start showing how she actually hired lobbyists to get earmarks and initially supported the "Bridge to Nowhere".

Of course, Johnny doesn't care. Afterall, he got another free night of advertising without having to mention George Bush or Dick Cheney.

September 4, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  6. TOO BAD, SO SAD , IT SUCKS TO BE YOU

I am very proud of her! As a democrat voting REPUBLICAN, how sad that the democrats could not muster up the courage to nominate Hillary Clinton. The REPUBLICANS outsmarted you again, this nation is ready for a woman, it should of been Hillary, but it will be Sarah Palin. Too bad, so sad, it sucks to be a democrat!

September 4, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  7. Allen

I consider Obama's 8 years as an Illinois senator and 4 years as US senator to be relevant experience towards being a quality president.
    I consider Obama's experience as a community organizer to be evidence that he is a quality human being.
    These attacks against Obama's work for the community were truly pathetic. If they want to talk down his senate experience, that's one thing. But, attacking his community work makes no sense. They belittled the concept of serving one's community. Regardless of his qualifications to be president, Obama has inspired many people to look out for one another in their community and beyond. He is a positive, inspiring person, and belittling this just makes the Republicans looks even more out of touch and ruthless.

I think Giuliani's and Palin's speeches tonight just reinforced the negative view many Americans have of the Republican party and only hurt their chances in November.

September 4, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  8. Toni

Sarah Palin stated sellng a jet on ebay, firing her chef and firing her driver made her qualified to be Veep.

Well I say elect me,

I sold a boat on ebay,

and I had to fire my house keeper and gardener because of the economy the Republicans have created.

At least if I am VP the economy would get better for me.

September 4, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  9. Jessica

A halfway decent speaker, speaking someone else's lines, with nothing to say and nothing to offer, telling a number of outright lies. This spectacle tonight has made a mockery of good people with good values, and has shown that the Republican Party is well and truly swimming in its own bile at this point. Disgusting that people were cheering on this kind of mockery, mockery with no message, mockery just for the sake of it. Isn't our country better than that?

September 4, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  10. Rob C.

Yesterday, I thought McCain was nuts and that he should throw Sarah Palin under the bus. Boy was I wrong and McCain was right!
    Tonight's speech Palin gave at the Republican Convention (9-3-08), was the best, funniest, coolest most down-to-earth speech I have ever heard from any politician. I see why Alaska loves her.
    She's a phenomenon!

September 4, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  11. Brian

I thought that it was silly what Mitt Romney said about 'liberal' Washington – it was like he was calling the Bush Administration Liberal...very odd.

I thought she was a decent speaker overall and obviously a pro at her job (Politician), but I have serious concerns over anyone in the white house who believes in Creationism or Intelligent Design. Not to belittle those with faith, but most religious views were once just answers for unknowns. Once we figured out what really was going on with science we didn't need to have a miracle as a reason.

There is a reason our founding fathers wanted to separate church and state.

September 4, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  12. army gop

as an active duty member of the army, stationed with Gov. Palins son, iI cannot believe all the left wing jargon coming from these people. Can anyone put dem/rep aside and take a step back and look? Obama has NO expirieince, Mccain does. They are the presidential canidates, not Gov. Palin. Its always been the VP's job to attack the other parties canidate, Mccain will talk policy. Leave Palin alone, quit hating because she is living the american dream and relishes her role in it.

September 4, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  13. maggieb

Harry Reid is an idiot. Gov Palin seems to us the kind of person who will get the job done, Instead of turning out the lights and going on vacation at the tax payers expense , when americans are suffering from high oil prices. What has Harry Reid or Nancy P done? They turned out the lights and we are turning out the lights on electing democrats come November.
    We are no longer Undecieded Democrats. Mccain/ Palin 08 has our votes period

September 4, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  14. kevin

What are Mcain/Palin stance on the issues that are effecting this country. I did not hear any plans on the issues. All I heard was fearmongering speaches. Governor Palin How how are you going to help the Nation when you insult them with your comment about community orginizers

September 4, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  15. nick from pennsylvania

Tonight I watched the Rep convention along with several friends and the consensus was that there was plenty of attacks but no substance. we felt the democratic convention actually made us feel like there is hope for a better tomorrow but tonights republican convention was like so much venom,fear,sarcasm etc . My girlfriend called and said did you just see that on T.V.? she said she seemed so fake up there trotting the daughter's boyfriend on stage like a prized Moose (no pun) ready for the slaughter and having Trig on stage late at night in front of screaming throngs. shouldn't the baby be sleeping somewhere quiet?
    My girlfriend is republican and i am a democrat and we disagree on certain issues but my god the rhetoric and divisive behavior made everyone i know cringe. I would have felt better with Liebermann as VP pick and that would have made me a real fence sitter but now i have to go back to reality and stay with Obama...now if i can just make my girlfirend think differently...hehehe good night everyone. :)

September 4, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  16. Eric

I agree with McCain. Now I understand why he picked her. Able to stretch the truth with the blink of a eye, conservative lunatic, already buried under a couple of scandals.

Was it only me, and I know I'm walking on thin ice, who was simply disgusted at the idea that she and her husband would bring her small baby, (and my brother is down syndrom so I know), physically more fragile, in a crowd at 22:00. I'm sorry but I could not help to think that this woman will do anything to get ahead. Appaling.

September 4, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  17. Trish from Arizona

Wow, I guess the truth really does hurt because when the right plan for the country being presented is the truth (McCain/Palin), the major networks like CNN and Fox can't handle the truth so they just keep lifting Obama up.

September 4, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  18. Joey from Ohio

I find the comments on this page funny.

You see, in the liberals eyes, it is perfectly legit to run a female candidate's family through the mud, but heaven forbid that said candidate mock Obama's sad attempt to claim that he is even remotely qualified to run this country.

Let's face it. Our speeches were more energized, they had more substance and our speakers said it all with a smile on their face. If you couldn't see that, then you weren't watching. Our speakers seemed to really be enjoying themselves.

Finally, a week without the anointed one's face plastered EVERYWHERE. It is clear that the Dems and the liberal media can dish it out, but when our people defend themselves, we're the ones being shrill? What a bunch of pussies!

I can't wait until Nov. 4th when you elitists finally see that there are more states in this country than California, the New England area and Illinois. I think you are all in for a nice big surprise when you wake up November 5th. :-)

September 4, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  19. raymoore

I was really disappointed in the CNN crew tonight! I felt like I was watching fox news! What was wrong with Cambel Brown, it’s like she was making up for the Republican Party canceling their interview. They were just falling all over themselves about that speech from the vice president nominee. I think CNN is trying to start something over the comments by the majority leader.

September 4, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  20. Manuel TX

I love Hillary...and I love Sarah!

It is going to take a woman to effect real change in DC...someone who is really from the outside and not some machine politician from Chicago.

This Hillary supporter is voting for McCain/Palin. :)

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

September 4, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  21. April in Texas

I am guessing since she decides to punch we can puch back.. Gloves are off and its on.. We will show you what comunity organizers can do and then you can eat your words on the way back to Alaska and praise them some more.

September 4, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  22. Kate Fergus

Sarah Palin had nothing to say that was of substance. In some respects I feel sorry for her because she is accepting McCain's policies which clearly mirror George Bush's policies of the last 7+ years.

In addition, having some executive experience is not the prime concern for me. Look, Bush had years of executive experience as governor of Texas before taking office, but clearly proved he lacked good judgment. They go hand in hand. Executive decision-making can be learned. Good judgment is harder is learn.

I am surprised that McCain took so little time to vet her. This shows poor judgment on his part – imagine making such rash decisions if he had the power of president.

Sara Palin offered no concrete statements on her positions and certainly didn't look presidential. She was petty and sarcastic and lied about Obama's policies. Hardly someone you want to make serious decisions that affect the entire country – that heartbeat away from the Presidency is scary stuff.

September 4, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  23. Gloria

As an older, retired, white, female Independent , I was appalled by Palin's presentation tonight. Her attacks against Obama were so sarcastic and unfair. And how dare she minimize his work as a community organizer! Yes, she is a charmer and obviously very comfortable in her own skin, but she has no experience or real exposure to the world beyond Alaska. Obama went through a baptism of fire over the past 18 months and came out ahead. And she thinks that after less than a week in the national spotlight, she can so nastily attack him. I advise the media to arrange one- on- one televised discussions with her ASAP and ask her some challenging questions about her stance on various crucial issues– before she completes a crash course on what the campaign expects her to answer!!!!!

September 4, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  24. Northwest Washington

If I was a Republican I would dump McCain and have Palin be the head of the ticket. She has a ton more guts then he has.

September 4, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  25. Anonymous

The differences between the two conventions are night and day. I prefer the tone and diversity of the Democratic convention. What I saw tonight was a turnoff, not to mention nasty and low on content & facts and snide. Same old stuff. Love McCain as a person, I admire him.... don't like her. Take the dress and lipstick off her and put it on Guliani and its the same. Dont want her as a VP, truly tacky.

September 4, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |