September 4th, 2008

Palin attacks 'shrill and sarcastic,' says Reid spokesman

Palin called out Reid Wednesday.
Palin called out Reid Wednesday.

(CNN) - A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is hitting back hard at Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night, calling it "shrill and sarcastic."

"Anyone who knows Senator Reid knows he never backs down when he's fighting for what's right and that he always stands up to John McCain when he is wrong," Jim Manley, Reid's press secretary, told CNN. "Shrill and sarcastic political attacks may fire up the Republican base, but they don't change the fact that a McCain-Palin administration would mean four more years of failed bush-Cheney policies."

The reaction came after Palin specifically called out Reid during her address to the Republican National Convention, saying the Nevada Democrat "can't stand up to John McCain."

"Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee. He said, quote, 'I can't stand John McCain,'" Palin said to roaring applause from the crowd. "Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. J.C.Curia

Hello,

Sarah Palin's speech could have been presented by any proficient Republican just to downgrade the Democractic Party and Obama.
    She was just selected to persuade the woman votors to vote
    for their applicable Republican party.

If anything does happen to John McCain, she is certainly not qualified
    to be the "President of this great country."

September 4, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  2. Jennifer

CNN: You are wrong in praising this speech. It appeals only to gutter politics. It was mean-spirited, divisive, rude, condescending....I could go on...Not once did the republicans honestly acknowledge that Obama's nomination was something the nation should be proud of, regardless of afliliation. And as someone who has organized poor communities, I am offended by the endless attacks on those of us in the trenches. Think before you speak, people even if the live television medium doesn't allow much time for that.

September 4, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  3. Matthew

My take on the Palin drama is that she has done a decent job at rounding up the base, but turns off crucial independants and just left-of-center voters. Her popularity doesn't extend much beyond the far right.

September 4, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  4. Tyler

Wait until she debates Joe Biden...........................Biden is going to open the book of knowledge on her. The debate is such a mismatch. I am going to love seeing them debate on foreign policy, with Palin having 0 expreience and Biden having 30 years of it.

September 4, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  5. Julie A

I am a Hillary supporter and life-long Democrat who happens to be from bitter small town America. My family and I are appalled at the sexist treatment of Sarah Palin by the media and will be voting for the TRULY EXPERIENCED, HONEST ticket of CHANGE: McCain/Palin.

September 4, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  6. Maggie Canadian

I absolutely agree with Harry Reid's comments. Sarah Palin's voice is shrill. I first noticed this last Friday. As I watched (for the first 15 minutes), she seemed a little bit controlled or so I thought.

Perhaps the Republicans can hire someone to coach her so she doesn't sound "shrill". That is one of the reasons why I didn't want to watch her speech. If only I could read lips, I would have then muted the television.

Heaven help us over the next 2 months!

At least Harry has the guts to tell like it is!

September 4, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  7. G man from the big apple

Some one please inform Governor Palin that the community that was organized is 4 times the size of the town she was mayor of.

To think Obama was nice to this pit bull with a lipstick

September 4, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  8. Can We Get A Pooper Scooper For This Pitt Bull?

It's the ECONOMY stupid! The Republicans have just sunk to a new low. She spent almost her entire speech trying to trash Obama, and alot of her "facts" were WRONG!!! I guess the newspaper reports that the McCain campaign has no intention of discussing the issues is true? Her attempts to deflect from her own inexperience by attacking Obama may have worked if this weren't her first time on the national stage in prime time. We expected to hear about her and why we should elect her. Instead her speech lacked substance. This was a waste. I don't know if I can take listening to her voice much longer. Her voice is high-pithced, has a nagging tone and sounded absolutely dreadful as she droned on and on and on... No wonder she never made it as a sports caster.

September 4, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  9. Clean-up women is now a pitbull!

So, what's Sarah Palin's job, to go behind everyone that has ever said anything about John McCain and defend him? How long ago was it that Harry Reid made that comment, and McCain is just getting around to addressing it? I'm hoping she learned more from her journalism degree than just being a pitbull attack dog!!

September 4, 2008 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  10. jords

Sarah Palin didn't pull any punches for a very sound reason: she wants to make it clear to the American voters that just because she's a mother of 5 and a former beauty queen there is no need to pander to her or demean what she stands for. I for one was quite impressed with her speech, and as a former Hillary Clinton supporter I find her very refreshing. Do I agree with her 100% on the issues? No, but I'm finding more we agree on than disagree, points that will be actual issues in the next 4 years.

My true disappointment with tonight's speeches is the negative campaigning. Please, JUST STOP. Seriously. It doesn't make either side look better. You can forcefully state facts and policies you believe in and/or want to change and compare your position to that of your opponent in a way that doesn't belittle them or their families or their beliefs or their careers. (Chris Matthews and the entire MSNBC crew, this is directed at you as well!)

I look forward to the upcoming debates for both President and VP – this is definitely shaping up to be the most important presidential race in my lifetime!

September 4, 2008 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  11. RyanD.

She has lost any hope McCain had at independant and leaners looking for real answers.

Too bad the McCain of 2000 is long gone.

September 4, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  12. S.B.

Shrill and sarcastic...is that all you have to say...this lady has just thrown the entire Black Leadership under the bus...community organizers are why Blacks have rights today....she has open a can of worms she did not want...

September 4, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  13. David

Now who is the reformer, Obama/Biden or McCain/Palin. The speeches tell it all. She was attack machine.. same as Guliani.. and Rodney and Hukabee. McCain do not get it..Obama is right. You cannot reform Washingston with divisive attacks.

What about Community organizing! – her comment is mockery to those who were uplifted when there lost their jobs. Where is Alaska, wonder if there is a reality check on this, for example... which community lost jobs with nowhere to go.. what was he approach...that is the difference. This is an insult and insentive to american people.

Palin is living in her own world, very mistaken. If she did community organizing she would have the same feeling..ordinary people doing extra ordinary jobs. She did not, so she feels that way and go on to abuse Americans. This is a clear choice.

September 4, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  14. EUNICE

This woman is off the hook. I love what she did tonight. Obama has got his match and all of a sudden all the liberal media is crying that she was helped by a teleprompter. What a hypocrite they are. It is okay for Obama to have a teleprompter but not a Republican candidate. It is ok for Obama not to be vetted but they question why McCain did not vet Governor Palin. What a hypocrite. Why are they worried about the vetting? Let that be McCain's headache and not yours'.

This is it. The game has just begun. This woman is hot and exactly what America needs at this time. I was a supporter of Hillary but now supporting McCain and Palin.

How in the world can any liberal criticize this woman on experience when Obama does not have even one?

September 4, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  15. Fred

It is hard to see how denigrating Senator Reid, the Senate Majority Leader-who she might have to work with if elected–is doing anything to promote bipartisanship. Mr. McCain has frequently stated that one of his primary goals is to end extreme partisanship in Washington. Apparently he forgot to tell Sarah.

September 4, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  16. scott

As a gay San Francisco independent i love the McCain/Palin ticket. I can't wait for them to win in November. Sarah rocked hard tonight and we finally have candidates to be excited about. I thought Hillary would have been a better choice than Obama and was disappointed by her loss. Now I'm satisfied.

September 4, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  17. Whitman

I guess someone being a faith-based community organizer – helping people get jobs in an area hit by factory shutdowns – is pretty funny stuff. So much for Republican values.

September 4, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  18. Robbie

Palin had nothing to bring to the table. The speech was full of lies and distortions, personal attacks and had no substance. If a culture war is all the Republicans have to offer this year, they are going to lose big time in November.

Obama/Biden '08!

September 4, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  19. Brandi Michelle from Texas

It's hard to describe exactly what I felt tonight as I watched Sara Palin. I saw a strong and opinionated woman who was divisive and sarcastic. I was expecting her speech to be more inspirational and inclusive. She attacked Barak Obama as a person throughout the speech. And not once did she offer ideas on how we can get out of this mess that we're in with the economy and Iraq. When I watched the Democratic Convention last week, I felt uplifted and filled with hope. Tonight, I just felt plain sick.

September 4, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  20. Regina

If this is any indication of the Repblican Party staying above the sleaze, everybody should be on their guard. For the Religous Right, the Palin Speech, though not her own words, was catty, self serving, mean, rude, and thoroughly unladylike. It makes me wonder if the Bible toting crowd really, take heed to what their Bible Teaches. This Womans snide remarks upset me and I am a Christian. , their glee at the unseeming nasty remarks is counterproductive. Obama has shown everyone that he is more sincere than this crowd. If you want to read the difference between Palins and His resume, you need to find it and READ. Read Read.

September 4, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  21. John from Kansas

Does the republican base really plan to support this ticket? Once we get past the convention and all the all white delegation, (where are the minorities), we find the republicans have nothing to offer. Did I hear one word of policy? No! Tonight was one speaker after another, (all losers to McCain), playing the same disgusting tune about the democrats. When did the republicans become the party of the stand-up-rejects? Remember fear has worked for the past eight years! I for one look to hope and dreams.
    Would you offer up your 17 year old daughter for public humiliation? McCain and Palin should be vilified for submitting this yound girl to world scrutiny. You are two of the sickest politicians I have ever seen. Anyone who supports them are just as sick.

September 4, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  22. Rob Nelson

Palin is a joke I thought I was at a comedy show. Where were the issues? Nothing, I was hoping how she was going to tell how she left a small town in debt, how she raised taxes in Alaska, the great job she did raising her kids (the spears family). She is one more scandal from being off this ticket with all of the drama she has. I hope she have thick skin because the gloves are off know she will se the kitchen sink. You heard it here first.

September 4, 2008 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  23. voter

it was terrible and most of the women in the focus group agree. she was divisive and nasty without having a plan for the country which makes it worse. the dems fought back tonight on larry king. good to see because she was speaking lies.

September 4, 2008 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  24. Joanne

Out of curiousity, I sat through the "Off-right's" convention tonight and was disgusted by this endless parade of insults and venom. All Palin added to the mix was a shrill voice that dripped with poison. This shows their true colors and proved what they would really offer us, if elected. Absolutely nothing of substance. Just more or even worse of the same.
    As for me, I'm not fooled by their "slight of words", because my eyes are wide open. This country is in a horrible crisis. We don't need more "Off-right SPIN". We need real solutions and that solution is Obama and Biden.

September 4, 2008 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  25. go away mongers- Ventura ca

I don't always agree with Harry Reid- this time- he hit it right on the button!
    (But isn't that what we expected her to do? After all, she IS a republican and what they do best is smear & fear!)

September 4, 2008 02:15 am at 2:15 am |