September 4th, 2008

'Real World' star gives her reality-check on Palin

Former reality star Rachel Campos-Duffy at the CNN Grill during the Republican National Convention.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) – “Now we have a race,” Rachel Campos-Duffy said of McCain’s “excellent choice” for vice president, Sarah Palin.

The ‘Real World’ reality star and Republican activist was dining at the CNN Grill Wednesday evening with her three-month old newborn in tow. Campos-Duffy, like Palin, is a mother of five.

“I think before, maybe we could’ve won, but I think that now we have a real, really good shot at it. I really do,” Campos-Duffy said of Palin on the ticket.

“I don’t really have a lot in common with Hillary Clinton. I have a heck of a lot more in common with this woman, and I think that most people I know, Democrat or Republican, would say the same thing.”

The conservative blogger, a frequent contributor to a parenting site, says 17-year-old Bristol Palin’s decision to have her baby only puts a “stamp on [the family’s] pro-life credentials.”

“They say that pro-choice is sort of the women’s position, but I think that women’s positions on choice are really softening,” Campos-Duffy said. “When [women] have had 40 ultrasounds, had babies, and seen spina bifida operations done in utero, I think there’s a lot more softening about women’s decisions.”

Duffy is married to fellow “Real World” alum, Sean Duffy, now a Republican delegate from Wisconsin. Oh, if you are wondering, Rachel starred in Season Three, "Real World San Francisco."

1. Joe Burton

A "Real World" bimbo's opinion belongs on MTV and not on CNN. The unvetted Palin will end up like Thomas Eagleton and be dropped for "family" reasons. i.e. the downs syndrome baby. It really is "Much Ado about Nothing." Obama will snag a real mandate. Not like the one claimed by "W".

September 4, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  2. Mary

I think CNN has finally lost it.....are you kidding me...this is the most famous person they could find? and then she goes to try and speak on behalf of woman. Well, as a pro-choice, environmentally conscious woman who finds Palin terrifying, I can honestly say that this person is a joke and apparently so is CNN's coverage.

September 4, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  3. Citizen Watch

Wow! I think I have been ostracized from CNN for some sound thinking. I submit a comment and I don't even get a "Comment awaiting moderation."

September 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. Citizen Watch

Did I make I mistake to include the name of McCain's VP in my response? I tried to resubmit and I still don't get a "Your comment is awaiting moderation."

September 4, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  5. Rich Minnick

Watch out all youOB1 supporters.. Pit Bull PALIN will get You.....

September 4, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  6. va woman

I am a big Hillary supporter, but I support Obama because of the solutions to the issues for AVERAGE working women. I want my right to choice....I work with many women who has 2 to 3 kids and can barely stop the foreclosure on their house and we do not want to talk about the cost of healthcare. And most are single mothers how are you going to help them... thinking that just because you put a woman on the ticket we are automatically going to vote for her....she does not represent views and values of Hillary Clinton or for the average working woman nor our struggles everyday...So stop insulting our intelligence... Wish I could be a Hockey mom, but can not afford to be one, bills has to be paid....over worked and under paid....

September 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  7. Citizen Watch

Who, in fact, is moderating this forum? Why are you so relectant to post my response? I really do not want to vote Republican, but every time I come here and try to post, my suspicions are reinforced: Honest dialogue is not what the forums want. As a colleague told me today: It's "Jerry Springer" sensationalism that has become the voice of reason.

September 4, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  8. Noonan from Caddyshack

. . . and some people need to change their careers to make themselves useful

September 4, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  9. TyWebb

"Breaking News", I must say!

September 4, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  10. John Guerra

And no I really wasn't wondering what season she was in...who is she again? And better still why should it matter, slow news day?

September 4, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  11. Judy

First; Who is is this woman? She was on some made-in-hollywood make believe "reality" show and now she is an expert on what MOST women want? BTY; where will all these so called "pro-life" people if some girl is raped and forced to have the baby? Will these people step up to the plate and support her and her child? If they say they will than let me tell you now; there are plenty of children now who need good homes so come on and step up to the plate and adopt a child (just please don't teach them your values). The republicians are so out of touch with the average American; case in point, Paulin saying that Obama was "just a community organizer", I guess that a person who goes out into the community and attempts to help people is nothing.

September 4, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  12. Lifelong Repub 4 Obama

I'm getting very confused about the references to Bristol Palin's "decision" to have and keep the baby. This implies that the girl had a choice to make and could have "decided" to end the pregnancy or put the baby up for adoption. BUT, that would make candidate Palin pro-choice, wouldn't it???

September 4, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  13. RyanT

I remember the season she was on The Real World...but only because of her castmate Pedro and his beautiful relationship with his boyfriend/husband Shawn. I remember when he revealed to his roommates that he was HIV positive, she immediately showed her true narrow-minded, backwards thinking republican colors. Rachel was an idiot then, she remains an idiot now.

Pedro was an avid community organizer and devoted his remaining days to educating not only the homosexual but hetersexual about what it was like to be "living with this disease". Teaching the importance of safe sex.

If that makes community organizers irrelevent in the eyes of her candidate and she can identify with her, what does that say about her and her opinion of her "friend" Pedro...a lowly community organizer. Rachel your 15 minutes was up a LONG time ago. Please, for the love of God, go away.

September 4, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |