September 4th, 2008

Schneider: Is it enough?

McCain and Palin greet the convention hall.
McCain and Palin greet the convention hall.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - McCain ends with his biggest themes – sacrifice, and patriotism. And he has the standing to talk about it. But it’s the crowd’s reaction that is disturbing here: the chanting of “USA” continued.

It’s a fighting close, which is intended to be stirring – but I wonder if the call to “fight” turned OFF a lot of voters. People really are tired of fighting.

My view is: it was a simple, and sincere speech that gave testimony and his character, avoiding the divisive social issues – but it did not seem to answer the question, What are you going to do about the nation’s terrible economic problems? His answers seemed very much part of the past: cut spending, cut taxes. He really needs to find a new and bolder economic plan.

If voters are choosing between two men, they will probably choose McCain. If they’re choosing between two policies, I think Obama has the edge: newer, smarter, fresher.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Pascal

I just hear Anderson say that McCain came up with specifics. Come on are you kidding! No single plan for the future of America, just empty promises. They slammed Obama over months for not talking about a specific plan. I didn't hear theirs or I am deaf?

September 4, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  2. MJ

I am so sick of all the fighting. This entire convention has been about attacking and name calling. Now, I am suppose to believe he will pull our country together? This guy LOVES a war.

P.S. Next time John have a few solutions.

September 4, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  3. Love for Obama

It is exceedingly clear that it is time for a change. It is time for Obama and Biden for the president and vice president of the United States of America. Too late on trying to get your maverick status back. It is forever loss.

September 4, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  4. Ito

Bill,

McCain is all about fight! fight!! fight!!! – militarily. It's all about the defense of America because the "enemy" is coming.

No concrete talk about the conditions of Americans. American ideals, ideals, principles....
    This is a redundant speech.

Does it mean those who suffered similar fate with McCain in the prison camp that we don't well about today are not "heroes."

This "American hero" story of McCain is boring the nation.

As a speech writer myself, I know that this speech is a flop. He greatly diluted the enthusiasm and zest that Palin brought.

September 4, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  5. Webster

Donna Brazille is right. This man is grabbing at straws. He doesnt know what he is doing or what he believes in. He is constantly changing it to get votes. This isnt how he feels..this is how he feels he will get votes and I sure hope Americans arent as stupid as he thinks they are. A man that voted 90% with Bush obviously doesnt think Bush did anything wrong.

September 4, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  6. Remi

Not by a long shot.

September 4, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  7. Adrienne

Good insight. I agree.

September 4, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  8. Rick

The chanting of USA to liberals is like giving garlic to the vampires. Bring on the fight... Liberalism must be defeated!

September 4, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  9. Go Obama!!!

No, it was not enough.

btw, thanks Hillary for your comment!

Obama/Biden '08/12!!!

September 4, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  10. Lisa

nothing but blowhard republican arrogance. Who is the elistist here ? ps its not the dems.

September 4, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  11. Teresa

It was already pointed out that the chants of USA were for a reason, to cover up protesters noises. Those changes were in support of McCain and his right to speak, and their right to be there and celebrate his nomination.It is NOT the place for protesters.

September 4, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  12. Annie

Very smart comment, thank you for this. I was getting concerned about CNN's capacity for analysis as, right after the speech, I heard Anderson Cooper say that McCain gave more details than Obama in his speech. And I think it was Campbell Brown that added that he spoke about the details of his plan through the stories of Americans in need– what kind of commentators don't notice that McCain mentioned those stories but did not say A WORD about how he was going to address those people's (our!) needs? There were no details about his plan, empty "values" discussion, that's all it was. I am stunned that Anderson and Campbell can be so blind OR maybe they gave in to the Republican machine putting pressure on the press. Either way, shame on CNN.

September 4, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  13. Jeff

No way, no how, no Mcain

September 4, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |