September 4th, 2008

Schneider: Is it enough?

McCain and Palin greet the convention hall.
McCain and Palin greet the convention hall.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - McCain ends with his biggest themes – sacrifice, and patriotism. And he has the standing to talk about it. But it’s the crowd’s reaction that is disturbing here: the chanting of “USA” continued.

It’s a fighting close, which is intended to be stirring – but I wonder if the call to “fight” turned OFF a lot of voters. People really are tired of fighting.

My view is: it was a simple, and sincere speech that gave testimony and his character, avoiding the divisive social issues – but it did not seem to answer the question, What are you going to do about the nation’s terrible economic problems? His answers seemed very much part of the past: cut spending, cut taxes. He really needs to find a new and bolder economic plan.

If voters are choosing between two men, they will probably choose McCain. If they’re choosing between two policies, I think Obama has the edge: newer, smarter, fresher.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. hick

i dont like them attacking my patriotism....

September 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  2. Simpson

That's right. All the GOP offers is fighting, negativity and attacks. No plan. No specific. No ideas. They expect everyone will vote against Obama. There is nothing the GOP offers to vote for.

September 4, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  3. Austin, capitol of the republic of TX

"NO WAY, NO HOW, NO MCCAIN-PALIN!!!"

"Palin for VP? Or Palin for BP?"

"Wake up! The speculators stole our country!"

"Four more months."

"Maverick, or sidekick?"

"Equal pay for equal work!"

"Si se puede!"

"The secretary, Cheney and I want to be unificators."

"Palin is a petro-socialist."

Print these quotes CNN, I dare you.

September 4, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  4. Marlon

He isn't in the Olympics. He's running for the President of the United States and he gave a lackluster speech IMO. He said nothing about the issues that matter most.

September 4, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  5. Webster

Of course he doesnt say what he will do about the economy because he doesnt know what he will do. Same ole crap. This man doesnt have a clue what he will do. But I find it funny that the news media said Obama had to state what he will do to help the country but when McCain doesnt do it its ok. What a joke.

September 4, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  6. mcx2082

Jhon McCain ain't no Change, he's more of the same.

Obama 08!

September 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  7. Tired

Nope!!!!!!

September 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  8. Nevada dude

God, Guns and Country....but no solutions to the economy, the war in iraq, energy independence...except when they copy barack obama's!!!

oh and someone found an '80s mix tape to play at the end of the speech.

September 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  9. pete

he suuuuuucked....

September 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  10. Marck

Lack of substance, same old rhetoric, first degree talking, war war war, heroes, enemies... where is change? where are those solutions for people struggling from the consequences of Bush policies ?

September 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  11. Paul, Tampa

Did he just promise chocolate milk in every drinking fountain? This speech is really awful. Rambling tangential tales about bracelets from dead soldiers picking fights with union bosses sprinkled with a laundry list of already discredited charges against the proposed economic plan of the Obama campaign. Yup, then 5 minutes about how he's gonna turn community colleges into technical colleges (think DeVry and Chauffeur Training Academy)...by they way, did you ask the State about how they feel about that cause they are the stewards of these schools, not the Federal government. Weak and verbose, those are the words that seem to best define your and your speech. Thanks for making it easy on the Obama and the Democrats.

September 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  12. Dan in CHI

He doesn't address the economic issues because, as he has freely admitted, he doesn't understand them. He doesn't know what its like to figure out if your income is going to exceed your output financially. He knows nothing of macroeconomics. He repeats what the GOP tells him to say. He's a mouthpiece, just like Bushie, only he has an attractive candidate as a VP... well, she's attractive PHYSICALLY... but she is sizzle with no steak. Biden will carve her up like, well, like an Alaskan moose.

McCain is intellectually bankrupt. He's a great American and great patriot but he would be a horrible president and Palin is just plain frightening.

Let's try something NEW AND REFRESHING for our next leader, not another old moth ball.

September 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  13. Palin being prostituted by McCain

No details, the same old stuff. Change is coming...what is the change that is coming???????? He speaks in morris code to Republicans only.

September 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  14. No Hillary = No Obama

Your articles are becoming so predictable, so one sided, so laughable. Obama can't hold a candle to McCan – Howdy Doody Obama and his theatrics.

September 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  15. Marty Pacino Chicago Il

I was talking to a friend of mine's little 6 year old girl, and she said she wanted to be President some day. Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, "If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?
    She replied, "I'd give houses to all the homeless people." "Wow – what a worthy goal," I told her, "But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow, pull weeds, and sweep my yard, and I will pay you $50. Then I'll take you over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward a new house."
    She thought that over for a few seconds, 'cause she's only 6. While her Mom glared at me, the little girl looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?"
    And I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."
    From a comment I read on another site LOL
    McCain/Palin 08

"can you say the Bradley effect for teh win?

September 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  16. Deli

It's like there's nothing wrong with the economy from his speech. Kinda of brush over the oil issue, health care, then what?

Terrible delivery.

September 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  17. Jason from Arizona

McCain's whole campaign has been nothing but negative. He has NO ideas for making America better and moving forward.. He is uninspiring.. When I look at McCain I am not inspired to run out and make America better. He served the country 40 years ago, and his POW talk was a snore fest. He doesn't have what it takes to be president either... Being a POW doesn't make 1 anointed either John boy.. Reaganomics didn't help America, they harmed America, Reagan was responsible for funding Bin Laden during the Afghan/Russian war. See Reagan spent billions funding the Afghans to fight back the Russians and bred the worlds worst terrorist. Reagan a President I can't believe in. Many say Reagan was already suffering mental problems in office.. McCain is WRONG for America. IF anyone is inspired by tonight's yawn fest, you need some help..

McCain has nothing to offer America except empty hate filled speeches about being American.. Last time I checked the Rupugs don't own America or it's flag, so stop thinking you do!! Waving the America flag as if its some banner for who is or isn't patriotic is sickening!!

Where was McCains American flag lapel pin tonight???? HUH Who's patriotic now??

War Hero? WHO did he save to be a hero? He sang llke a songbird when he was mistreated.. Violation of American Military law and rules!! McCain is no hero.. What war(s) did he win again???

I served during the 1st Gulf War in 1991.. I guess since I am NOT going to vote for McShame I am not patriotic nor American? IF McScam win's I will renounce and move away from America.. We can't afford McCain/Palin ..

September 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  18. CW

agreed

September 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  19. USAF Staff Sergeant

He talked about the The U.S. military Code of Conduct, but he broke article V by giving numerous interviews and gave out information he shouldn't have. You can find the article transcripts online. He broke in about two weeks and started giving out information.

Article V

When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

September 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  20. Undecided women voter

I agree with you! I can't believe he said let's fight etc.. What a turn off!! Horrible I decided to vote for Obama after palin speech!

September 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  21. Mimi

"Bush kept our nation safe?" With that line, McCain fails to distinguish himself from an unpopular president. Bush has not kept our nation safe: Bush has spent bazillions of dollars that should have and could have gone toward strengthening the infrastructure of highways, levees, electric grids, alternative power sources, health services and education in America. These are all key components to keeping our nation strong. Bush and his cronies have powered up the fear factor and then pandered to the lowest denominator of fake solutions for that drummed up propagandized fear. McCain is following directly in those footsteps. While McCain may surely be honored for his veteran's experience, that experience does NOT make him a stellar candidate for President. He does not show the deep reflective thoughtfulness and deliberated action that this highest office in the land needs; rather what he shows is precipitate action without deliberation. He has adopted the successful language of Obama's positions, but not put his own heart and soul into the community organizing and change that needs to happen for every American, not merely wealthy Americans, to live the American dream to its fullest potential.
    McCain has dissed every adult American woman in his presumptuous and fatuous belief that women will vote for gender rather than qualifications. He is presuming to put someone, who until a week ago didn't even know what the Vice President of the United States does, a heartbeat away from the presidency. NO THANK YOU, Senator McCain.

September 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  22. Frank in Pittsburgh

The commentators are all doing their best to try to look fair and balanced and pretending that this speech was not a total disaster. The white faces in the crowd are all going through the motions pretending that they are having a good time and not going down in flames. There only hope for them is to keep doing what they are doing, try to make people believe Obama is a terrorist. Pretty sad.

September 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  23. laurie Negro

This is pure McCain, avoid the issues and focus on what he likes. How do you run a country on pet projects? What about the other stuff like the economy???

September 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  24. Oleg

And why McCain as a man would seem to somebody better? I listened his speech but I don't see a reason. Everybody has its own path, but McCain's judgment and view of the World is terrible.

Obama/Biden 2008

September 4, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  25. Natalie

I agree. People are really tired of fighting. Just proves that J. McCain does not get it.

September 4, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |