September 4th, 2008

Todd Palin staying in Minneapolis for snowmobile event

Todd Palin is known as the 'first dude' in Alaska.
Todd Palin is known as the 'first dude' in Alaska.

(CNN) – As the newly minted Republican ticket gets set to tour key campaign states immediately following the end of the party’s convention, Sarah Palin's husband Todd is staying behind in Minneapolis for what's reputed to be the largest snowmobile event in the word.

Palin, a world renowned championship snowmobiler known as the "first dude" in Alaska, is set to attend "Hay Days" in lieu of hitting the campaign trail, senior McCain campaign aides told CNN. "Hay Days" is a snowmobile grass drag racing event that is billed as the unofficial kick-off of the snowmobile season.

Watch: Meet the 'first dude'

The aides didn't say whether Palin was participating in the event.

The race attracts the "fastest and most sophisticated iron in the world," according to the event's Web site. "The track has come from one that was full of bumps, to a groomed strip with cyclone fence and an underground sprinkler system which keeps the track in beautiful condition."

Palin, 43, is a four-time winner of the world's longest snowmobile race - the 2,000 mile Tesoro Iron Dog contest, that winds through Alaska's rugged terrain and is dubbed the "Iron Dog Iditarod."

Filed under: Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. ben

Please tell Gov. Palin there are no mooses in Alaska! Those animals live in Canada! What is behind her in the photo is a caribou. I would think a governer of a state would know the differance between a caribou and a moose!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lived in Alaska for a year and every body there knows the differance

September 4, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  2. huh?

Who's taking care of the kids???

September 4, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  3. Northwest Washington

Please, someone wake me up. I am having a dream where the U.S. is engaged in battles in Iraq, Iran, Georgia, Pakistan, North Korea and Syria. Russia is threatening to send missiles into Europe to preempt us from putting missiles in Poland and President and First Dude Palin are in the White House. Yikes!!!!

September 4, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  4. Sue/PA

And the newborn and the rest of the children are where???? I guess movie stars can afford a "nanny"....by the way..last night was a B movie. Tonight will be a C movie.

September 4, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  5. Obama-Junkie, IL

You know something. This is not news but it is revealing.

Todd Palin is going to "hang out" in Minnesota while his wife hits the campaign. My question is who is taking care of the CHILDREN!

September 4, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  6. Erik

In other news, we're still waiting for an explanation of how Sarah Palin is the most qualified of all Republican leaders in America today to step into the Presidency should something happen to McCain.

September 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  7. Florida for Obama

You mean, First Dud!

September 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  8. Enough

I'm an Obama supporter but this is enough about who is watching the kids. I'm sure none of you get a baby sitter ever and do something fun, I guess you have to stay with kids 24/7 or you suck as a parent. Stick to issues, theres enough ammo there!

September 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  9. Family Values

I've been concerned about what Todd would be doing besides taking care of the kids. Thank you CNN for keeping me up to date.

September 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  10. Ursula

If his wife is out running for vp and he is at the snowmobile event....who is with the kids????

September 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  11. Eve

So who is caring for the kids?

September 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  12. Ann

Give me a break!
    They have that poor baby all night at the conventions
    He should stay home then or get a baby sitter (shame on you)

Talk about putting family first dragging that sick child all over the convention floor

September 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  13. Bubba

That's okay; America has already seen what it needs to see: Mom wears the pants and Dad's way too rich and silly.

September 4, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  14. hard workin ohio

The difference between the Palins and the Democrats that hate her is that they keep their babies instead of killing them. John and Sarah will fight for the babies all around the world and stop the liberals from aborting them. Maybe you don't like Sarah because you regret the things you've done?

September 4, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  15. yawn

Okay Mr. Mom you could leave now.

YAWNNNNNNNNNN

September 4, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

Here we go AGAIN! CNN PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!

...husband Todd, is staying behind in Minneapolis, for what's
    reputed to be the largest snowmobile event in the...(Word)

September 4, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  17. Kim J

This is news for the same reason everytime Obama gets on and off a plane is news. Or eats waffles. Or goes on vacation.

September 4, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  18. Earl

A fine way to get the Palin family out of the picture

Briston will disappear with boyfriend...(conviently named fiance)

THE REPUBLICANS NEVER CEASE TO AMAZE ME

September 4, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  19. Ellie

"First Dude"..... your kidding me right. NOT so fast......

September 4, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  20. Vegas

Pfft

Obama doesn't write his own speeches... No politicians do...

He's especially bad without a teleprompter... which is why he gets smoked in every live debate... and avoids town halls....

He's the puppet.... and a tool... and simply a joke...

And spreading liberal (Bill Ayers) hate in Southern Chicago isn't exactly community organizing...

September 4, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  21. Alyce

She made a political speech attacked Obama and Biden like she was told. Palin has no Foreign policy expericence has a history for supporting fossil fuels and as governor Alaska has the worst school system in our nation. Both Mccain and Palin ends in I N and if they're elected we will be IN deep @*&%$#. This election is too important. My white sister and brothers must have a yeast mentality and rise above petty difference to a place that wld have them look at the issues & vote w/a clear conscience rather than a comfortable color

September 4, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  22. I-Care

Stay at home with the kids before another one gets pregnant!!!

September 4, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  23. REV. WRIGHT IS OFF THE TABLE

If that despicable display last night involved '"christians", then Rev. Wright's flock, just gained a 57 year old white male. I have never witnessed such vile, hatred venom from one place in all of those 57 years!

Thanks to that debacle I am actually ashamed to be caucasian for the 'first time in my life". I am glad I am alone, because I have tears in my eyes as I type this, so everyone out there of color, please acccept my personal apology and let me state that not all of us are so hateful and pathetic and for what it is worth, I too, am afraid that group will release the lions on all of us, and if my skin color saves me. but means I have to live among such a hateful and rabid group. then will one of you hold my hand and please take me with you.

Mike F.
    Dallas, TX

September 4, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  24. pj

well, she couldnt tell the world he's a snow board champ and then not have him attend the snow machine event! totally unplanned.

just like the shotgun wedding they're planning. Two poor kids who made a couple bad choices now have to get married just to satisfy the base? how rediculous.

is no one else seeing the rediculous pandering? the fact that she started her speech off by dangling her soon to be soldier and special needs child infront of the media and cameras is shameless. atleast McCain never speaks of his kid, currently serving.

September 4, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |