September 5th, 2008

Jesse Jackson released from the hospital

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - The Rev. Jesse Jackson - who was hospitalized after suffering stomach pains - was released Friday after being treated for food poisoning, his spokesman said.

"Reverend Jackson has just left the hospital. Doctors say he is recovering nicely and is expected to make a full and complete recovery from food poisoning. Doctors do not expect the reverend to suffer long-term side effects from this illness," said his spokesman, Sam Chapman.

Jackson, 66, a long-time civil rights activist, admitted himself to Northwestern Memorial Hospital around 3 p.m. Wednesday, complaining of stomach pains, hospital spokeswoman Latoya Porter said.

Doctors diagnosed him with viral gastroenteritis and severe dehydration.

Viral gastroenteritis is commonly referred to as the stomach flu and is not considered serious for most people.

CORRECTED 3:05pm to reflect that Jackson was not working on behalf of the Obama campaign at the time he fell ill.

Filed under: Jesse Jackson
  1. Dave in Houston

If he checked in on Wednesday afternoon, then he may have missed both Palin's and McCain's speeches. His stomach is probably doing much better than those of us that suffered through that garbage.

Just say no to McPale-Quaylin!

September 5, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  2. Sacto Joe

Hope you get to feeling better, Reverend. Thanks for fighting the good fight for all these years!

September 5, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. malkawiwife

get well soon Jesse history needs you to be with us this year

September 5, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  4. Bill.Im.not

Did Obama give him bad clams?

September 5, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  5. JBF Mathews

Dave:

I'm guessing the Reverend was able to afford a hospital room with a TV in it.

I'll wager even more that he watched the speeches. The report said that he left the hospital recovering nicely.

Hope your stomach gets to feeling better.

September 5, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. baby mama

guess Jesse is getting out of a sick bed to try to stop the bleeding...............on the other hand......with Barack Husein Osama soon to be history,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jesse is back on stage...nicely done Jesse

September 5, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  7. Madsal

I don't mean to sound cynical, but maybe Jesse should stay low until the election is over because with the kind of comments he likes to make, he would be better served in front of his TV. I cannot believe he was out there the next day after Obama's wonderful acceptance speech last friday. Some people have no shame. Maybe he had a stomach problem because he is such a Hypocrite.

September 5, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  8. Tina

I am not a Jesse Jackson fan. Even less impressed with him regarding his negative comment about BARACK. I just hope this is not one way for him to get some attention during this election...........I know how left out he must feel.

September 5, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. Richard Rohde

Knowing the way Jessie works, probably the first time a hospital ever was forced to pay a patient to treat them.

September 5, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  10. Anita from Arizona

Glad to hear Jesse's doing ok.

September 5, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  11. evelyn okinawa

look it doesn't matter who win I'm still poor as is making $10.oo an hrs. a lot people need help esp. low income just like me. they don't who you are or you need help, the only things you have money to spend is to use your credit cards if you have one, until your in debt. so unless you work 2 job, you have exta money to spend. some people if they lost there job why didn't look for another one instead draw unemployment, any way repub. will win again. people common sense mccain say ti will change so will see! sara palin is going a good job! I have 4 kids, my kids come first,

September 5, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. NObama

Tina - you're right. I remember during the Carter/Reagan debates in Chicago. The Rev. Jackson was hospitalized with a heart attack because he wasn't getting any attention. A heart attack! I can only hope it wasn't serious - I wish no harm to him – but his pattern of campaign season health problems is curious!!! Jackson's health would preclude him from ever, EVAH being a presidential candidate. His health problems are only the tip of the iceberg - there is also his tendency to be a left-wing extremist - a danger to our nation.

September 5, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  13. tammy

I am happy to read that Jesse is doing better.

September 5, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. ch

Lots of ignorant and cynical comments here.

All the best to Rev. Jackson – he's done so much for so many and he has my respect, appreciation and best wishes.

September 5, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  15. Kelby from Houston, TX

If you listen carefully to what is being said in this ocean of online comment posters you can hear the repugs trying to get their talking points in everybody's mind. The one I hear today is "PALIN HAS THE DEMS AND THE MEDIA RUNNIN SCARED or they say THE DEMS ARE TERRIFIED OF SARA PALIN!
    I say this with a laugh, NO, WE ARE NOT AFRAID OF PALIN. Why would we be afraid of her? She is anti-feminist, she is draped in scandal and the Repugs have NO CHANCE of winning in November.
    I see you GOP operatives trying to sway public opinion by making your opinion public. But after a while, it becomes SO obvious that you are working for the GOP.

September 5, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  16. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Take good care...this is quite a campaign. We will enjoy November!

September 5, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  17. Burhan

I wish you a quick recovery reverend.

September 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  18. KATHLEEN

I hope you get well soon, Jesse!

September 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  19. Cynthia

Glad the Rev. is okay.

September 5, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  20. Shari, NY

Dear Jesse,

I was a bit taken aback when the mic caught you off guard. I hope you have repented. Anyhow, we need you. I just read a post on the "uppity" subject and could not believe someone calling Sen. Obama a "shrill, little boy" among other things. Now that he is destined for the WHITE HOUSE, the true colors which were being suppressed by these hateful types is coming out with a vengeance.

September 5, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  21. SamSunny

A guy who grew up in the South doesn't understand the language of racial division?.........right!!

September 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  22. ML - California

A speedy recovery, Jesse.

September 5, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  23. SamALot

It's about time Jesse got a pay back for deliberately spitting in the food of white people, something he bragged about doing. I think they call his symptoms, "explosive diarrhea", and it ain't over yet.

September 5, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |