September 5th, 2008

McCain: 'Fight with me'

Sen. McCain said Thursday that he's ready to lead the Republican ticket.
Sen. McCain said Thursday that he's ready to lead the Republican ticket.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) – John McCain vowed Thursday to "shake up Washington" and said he's prepared to reach across the aisle to get the country "back on the road to prosperity and peace."

"We need to change the way government does almost everything," he told the Republican National Convention.

"Fight with me. Fight for what's right for our country. Fight for the ideals and character of a free people."

He said his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, is "just the right partner" to help lead the change.

"She's tackled tough problems like energy independence and corruption," he said. "She stands up for what's right and she doesn't let anyone tell her to sit down."

He added, "Let me offer an advance warning to the old, big-spending, do-nothing, me-first, country-second Washington crowd: Change is coming."

Full story

1. jason, tx

i will be fighting against him with my vote

September 5, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  2. Republican for Obama

But John that would be you. Does that mean that you are retiring and leaving your old, big-spending, do-nothing, me-first, spot to the real change maker Obama?

See ya and by the way thanks for the highest national debt ever. We will clean up this mess you left don't worry about just go!

September 5, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  3. chuck

Sounds just like George W. Why do republicans like to fight and cause hardship and devisivness in the world. Oh yeah I'm surprised he didn't use the word "jesus" in this statement to appease his new right wing religious fanaticals.

September 5, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  4. Foreign observer

You have a running company and you have to make a hiring choice : a brilliant advocate or a grandpa enjoying his high pension. Whom you would take?

September 5, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  5. GEORGE MCCAIN/SARAH POWLENTY '08

So now they are an agent of "change". After being in office and in the party in power for the last 8 years, shouldn't "change" have started from within, oh, say, 8 years ago??

Altho your a moron, we are insulted and offended that you think we are as stupid as you. Of course, memory does seem to be a long suit, maybe you have forgotten that your party was in control for the last 8 years.

September 5, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  6. Jerry in Mpls.

It's funny that McCain never said anything about shaking thing's up in Washington untill now. Sounds like Pandering. And I still want to know how McCain can say "I know how to win a war." and not be called on it?

September 5, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  7. RDS

Yeah fight we me...help me screw you over for another 4 years!

September 5, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  8. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

NO WAY, NO HOW, NO MCCAIN & PALIN!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

YES WE CAN!

September 5, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  9. John in Ohio

I'd fight with him but then his campaign would complain that I'm unfairly picking on him.

Oh, he wants us to fight alongside him. What, in a war or something?

I guess if you've lived your whole life as a hammer, every problem is going to look like a nail.

September 5, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  10. Natasha/Ohio Democrat

Ok I will fight, against ya........LOL

September 5, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  11. Centrist Rob in NC

So, after three days of partison drubbing and " My Way or the Highway" politics I'm expected to think he's going to reach across party lines and help the country move forward?

From the "Drill baby Drill" chants to an VP pick with extreme views from everything from abortion to the enviroment. I think it's clear that even if John McCain is sincere (which I think he is) that the party line will run the US as it has for the last 8 years.

September 5, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  12. No Way - No How - No McCain

Sorry McCain, nobody believe a word of your speech. We do not want four more year of the same. Sarah Palin, will not change our decision. The right person to lead this country is President Barack Obama. He is the only candidate who represent change and hope.

September 5, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  13. John in Ohio

"She's tackled tough problems like energy independence and corruption,"

Energy independence: Palin wants to drill drill drill. Oil is jesus juice in the ground to make our SUVs go, and it's our job to get it out.

Corruption: After trying to tackle corruption for years, Sarah Palin finally feels like she's got a handle on how to be really good at it. Fire anybody who disagrees with you, and once you have the federal money you never give it back.

September 5, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  14. B

Fight to help you vote with Bush another 90% of the time???

Pander, Pander Pander, you've been in Washington 26 years and NOW want to change it??

September 5, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  15. LET IT GO

This man is a joke and frankly pretty scary, he said the word fight like 25 times. a mean who is he kidding his been part of Washington forever and now he crying change. The only one John McCain is fighting for now is his own party and from the looks of it, that not america.

September 5, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  16. Frank

John McCains finale was a glorius display of a true American pleading with the nation to fight aginst all that is wrong and to stand up with John McCain and do what is right for our country. To call us out individually to help him change our society and goverment to an honest system.

September 5, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  17. Tasha S.

It's pretty clear tha McCain is nothing but a panderer and a liar! He pandered to women by picking a woman, and I don't know what real Hillary supporter is going to vote for McCain and Palin just because she's a woman on a ticket that is the total opposite of the woman they voted for in the first place which is Hillary. If these women vote for the opposite of what Hillary stands for because McCain picked Palin, who called Hillary a whinner, then if they get in the WhiteHouse they shouldn't complain about anything, but I think that women are smarter than that. I don't want a woman in the WhiteHouse that's a heartbeat away from being the president because she's a soccer mom, I want her there because she actually knows how to run the country! You can't believe anything McCain says,, he's voted against everything everyday working people need to progress and now all of a sudden he's ready for change. GIVE ME A BREAK! How many idiots believe that!

September 5, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |