September 5th, 2008

Heart condemns McCain-Palin use of 'Barracuda'

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.
Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - Blasting through the Republican convention hall is the 1977 hit "Barracuda" by rock band Heart.

It's a shout-out to Sarah Palin. When she played basketball in high school, the soon-to-be Republican vice presidential nominee earned the nickname "Sarah barracuda" for her fierce competitiveness.

Some of her opponents revived the "Sarah barracuda" nickname after she became mayor of her hometown, Wasilla, in 1996, defeating a three-term incumbent.

UPDATE: Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart said Thursday night that Universal Music Publishing and Sony BMG have sent a cease and desist notice to the McCain-Palin campaign over their use of 'Barracuda.'

"We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We
hope our wishes will be honored," the group said in a statement that said they "condemn" the use of the song at the Republican convention.

Filed under: John McCain • John McCcain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. People make no sense

So you vote 90% of the time with a president in your own party and you can't even bring up his name at your convention? Republicans are funny. McCain I see you standing up to Bush alright. I don't know what's worse someone who cheats on his wife like Edwards but then shows remorse when he is caught, or someone who stands around while an administration steals from its citizens and McCain says nothing, but now claims that he fights for American citizens. Pathetic!

September 5, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  2. Justin M.

I find it completely pathetic that any band in this world will tell a group of people that they can not play their music. Last I checked we as whole are the ones that payed those spoiled musicians all that money they have earned. Therefore that gives anyone the right to play whatever music they wish, whenever. No different than them turning the radio on and that specific song being on. Its not like they can force them to turn their radio off. Thank you liberals for making this country become such a pathetic, weak nation.

September 5, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  3. Saddened American

This is getting good. I can see the left becoming increasingly furious as more attention is paid to Palin, because the left isn't in control of the "woman on the ticket." Therefore, up goes the smear/attack/dirt-digging level.

Face it, there's a new game in town – kind of like a Republican "sixth sense" – I see scared people. LOL

September 5, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  4. CJG

So the campaign loses heart~

September 5, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  5. Ms. Smith

Am I missing something or are we becoming a nation of perpetually complaining adolescents. Grow up. You write music for the public to listen to, BUY, and enjoy. Stop thinking you can then become the thought police. Who cares! Once your work enters the public domain, and you are being compensated for it, why complain. You are just lucky someone wants to listen to it!

September 5, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  6. Michelle, PA

Funny how the "Barracuda" is now being sheltered from the big bad press while she gets a crash course from Karl Rove in Federal level domestic and foreign policy issues. Whatever happened to "Ready on Day One", which John McCain promised would be one of the top things he looked for in a VP? I guess you can't take him at his word either. Same old lying politician flip-flopping for political gain. He has lost all credibility with this independent voter.

September 5, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  7. Harriet, Chicago

Obama now realizes that Biden was a bad pick and cannot stand up to Sarah Palin-

Backroom Democratic talk is that Biden may withdraw due to health and Hillary will replace him--

Stay tuned.

September 5, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  8. Newt Gingrich

Lighten up, Heart.

September 5, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  9. Oxigen

Oh my God I think McCain would be the best POW candidate but not the best candidate for the presidency this year. The guy is so stupid telling us about his experience as a POW but never mention anything about what concern the American people. I did not hear anything about equal pay for equal work, health care, better paying jobs, make college more affordable for our kids. What was that; the guy went on self glory himself yeah! I am a hero Barack is not. Last thing that we need is another cowboy that will send our kids to die in wars that we have no reason fighting. The guy is 72 years old he is about to die and I am sure that he want to send as many young kids to die in wars because he does care about them. He lived his live fully our kids should be able to live theirs too. The Vietnam war was a different story from Iraq. We have no reason being overthere now. No way, No how, No McCain. Please do not use their song to spread hate.

September 5, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  10. Patricia

I really think someone should grow up.
    I have seen comments on the hair style, make-up, clothes, childrens clothes and it is so beneath me. Get a grip, the music isn't what is important. Did anyone listen? I listened to the conversations, speeches, commentary and really don't care to have the "celeb-a-don't" fashion policy critique. I want a new's program that is about news. I don't want to hear the personal opinions of the reporter, writer, director,or the station owner. Give me the NEWS, not some "high school" crap about can you believe................that is so petty and way boring.

September 5, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  11. sue calgary

Sara Palin IS mean spirited. It came accross in her eyes and the way she wrinkled up her nose when she was making her nastiest comments! I'd hate to be on the wrong side of her!

September 5, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  12. Everyman

Is Heart still around???

September 5, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  13. Alan Louis

Wait, I don't get it. Ann and Nancy Wilson are women. Sarah Palin is a woman. Shouldn't the Wilson sisters throw their unconditional support behind Palin based on gender alone? John McCain's not going to like this. Not one bit.

September 5, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  14. Bryan, Michigan

McCain doesn't believe in artists getting paid for their work. If they are having a tough time, let them help themselves.

Republicans have a new message. Four years ago it was "9/11, 9/11, 9/11". Now it is "9/11, he is a war hero, Al Qeda". I guess McCain's vocabulary is better than Bush's, but that's not saying much.

September 5, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  15. GOP for OBAMA

John,
    I have an Ed.D (better than Sarah)
    I've managed a BALANCED budget of Millions of dollars for a school system (better than Sarah)

Can I be Sect. of Education?????
    (guess not . . . I'm a male and overweight . . . no HOT enough for YOU!

Obama in a L a n d s l i d e !

September 5, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  16. Emma

When you see evil stamp it out. Isn't that what John McCain said?

September 5, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  17. MARY

Obama and Team BEWARE, the McCain campaign is using Sarah Palin to distract you from the real issues. By throwing her in the spotlight, attention is taken away from McCain and his failures and attachment to Bush. This is what the repubs want.

Ignore the Barracuda and focus on McCain and his no policy campaign. He said Obama runs on his blessings – McCain runs on his war, pow, love my country, I'm the only one who's fought for you campaign. Yea right. What about all other American soldiers who are fighting for us now and have fought for us in the past and have DIED FOR OUR COUNTRY? McCain YOU are not the only won who has defended our country. Enough with your patriotism song.

September 5, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  18. Chris in Columbus

What a bunch of losers. Heart stinks anyway. They're music is mediocre at best. How about if we just have a cease and disist notice out against their concerts. They should also have a cease and desist notice on their fridge.

What's wrong with a woman with a back bone who loves her family and happens to be successful?

The only change you'll see from Obama might be in his pockets. Biden is a Washington man through and through.

September 5, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  19. Carol

Give it a break – – – most people never heard of or are not interested in Heart. Those that are – I would imagine, should be flattered that its comming into popularity, so to speak. Why make such a "big deal" over something SO INSIGNIFICANT ? I like John Wayne. Does that mean that I can't say so in public? I'll say what I like when I like, this is AMERICA and a free country. Freedon of speech. Besides qhich i would think they would be flattered that after ALL THESE YEARS they are being remembered. Over 30+ years. Go see Obana maybe he can have his cohorts help stop infringing. John McCain has much more important issues to address for OUR NATION.

September 5, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  20. Hillary Supporter

Palin is a breath of fresh air and real life American that Obama's rhetorical speeches and elitism can never relate to. Hillary related to all Americans, and as a Hillary supporter disappointed with Obama's mistake in not picking her as running mate, I believe it was his biggest mistake and the reason he will lose this election.

I am excited and proud to reach over all lines for a better America and support the McCain/Palin leadership.

Poor Obama puts himself before country. LOSER!

Hillary is still

September 5, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  21. Terry

The Obamabots are cracking me up. The playbook insults from Obama's VERY worried supporters tells me more than any of us his empty "hope/change" speeches.

John McCain is as much like Bush as Barrak Obama is like Bill Clinton. Not much, and their fights with each other prove it.

In reality, Barrak Obama is more like Jimmy Carter, and John McCain is more like – well, John McCain.

Palin? She's like Teddy Roosevelt. Nobody cares about Biden, there is talk that he'll be dropped from the ticket due to a mystery illness.

September 5, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  22. Susan in SC

pwned by Heart.

Why would we let someone with a Journalism Degree be "next in line" for our most important office? Shouldn't she have studied law, or international relations, or perhaps domestic policy??? McGeeze and Ms. Gov need to lose this election.

September 5, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  23. RapidRay

There is one line from that song that definitely applies to the McCain choice for Palin....

"If the the real ting don't do the trick, you'd better make up something quick."

Quite possibly the best description of why she was chosen over more qualified, yet predictable candidates.

September 5, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  24. leapfrog

I have been apalled at how the GOP has "energized" its base. John McCain, who up until the beginning of this presidential campaign, I admired greatly as someone who stood up for doing the right thing, even if it meant going against the party, has prostituted himself and his principles to the religious right for the mantle of president. They have chosen someone with zero experience with domestic or international politics to stand one heartbeat away from the presidency merely because she's a woman (to attract any disaffected Clinton supporters) – and who's background is as freightening as her character and her extreme right wing ideology. They have campaigned, not against failed Bush policies, but against Obama's new ideas, attacking the man because they can't attack the issues since it was the Republican administration that cause or aggravated them. There's no substance, no thought here. Just gut reactionary speeches and tough talk. Where's the beef? So if anyone is truly undecided these days (and I highly doubt there are many left who are), do you really want the Arizona Kid with his trusty sidekick Nanook of the North running the show? Moderate republicans and conservative democrats whould be shaking in their boots right now at the thought of President Palin (since McCain is not a well man).

September 5, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  25. Uchenna in MD

Did someone else see the "McCAIN VOTES AGAINST VETS" sign or was it just me?

September 5, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |