September 5th, 2008

Heart condemns McCain-Palin use of 'Barracuda'

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.
Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - Blasting through the Republican convention hall is the 1977 hit "Barracuda" by rock band Heart.

It's a shout-out to Sarah Palin. When she played basketball in high school, the soon-to-be Republican vice presidential nominee earned the nickname "Sarah barracuda" for her fierce competitiveness.

Some of her opponents revived the "Sarah barracuda" nickname after she became mayor of her hometown, Wasilla, in 1996, defeating a three-term incumbent.

UPDATE: Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart said Thursday night that Universal Music Publishing and Sony BMG have sent a cease and desist notice to the McCain-Palin campaign over their use of 'Barracuda.'

"We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We
hope our wishes will be honored," the group said in a statement that said they "condemn" the use of the song at the Republican convention.

Filed under: John McCain • John McCcain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. John from PA

Great ticket McCain...You will get West Virginia

September 5, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  2. Jesse

I'm gonna throw up if I hear another POW story. McCain, we all know you don't have much to offer other than that, so do us all a favor and spare us that story. Not to mention, you've told 10 different stories...maybe because you want some sympathy. Sorry buddy, I respect what you did...but no sympathy from me. You're not the only POW in the world. You're not the only hero, there are men and women in the Middle East right now doing the same thing, I'm guessing they aren't heroes?? I will admit, during the RNC, it was the first time I offered and wanted to do the laundry...just to get away from the republican bs.

September 5, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  3. Election Watcher

I was offended by the music choices at the Dem convention. I loved those songs, but now I see cheezy lying politicians in my head whenever I hear Stevie Wonder or Fleetwood Mac on the oldies station.
    Well, if she can't be "Sarah Barracuda" anymore, I dub her "Penelope Pitbull".

September 5, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  4. Trent

Palin kills the ticket for me. I really like John McCain, but Palin is an extremist right wing nutjob!!! She is not middle-america. What would have been great and you know what america really needs right now is to drop both Palin and Biden and have a Obama-McCain or McCain-Obama ticket.

If you want real change in Wershington (and I didn't spell that wrong) that should have been the way to do it!!!

September 5, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  5. anonymous

The old has been group of Heart should be honored someone wanted to use their music in a setting where millions of people will hear it. Might revive their sales a little. And Michelle in PA, where do you get off thinking Sarah is being "sheltered from the big bad press?" I find it so hard to believe where you people come up with these ideas. Don't you listen, watch, and much more, comprehend? No wonder you vote democRAT!

September 5, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  6. Chipster

McCain campaign continues to use music without bothering to consult the artists.

But then, the Republican Party continues to rule the nation without consulting the U.S. Constitution so I guess their abuse of power should not be a surprise.

September 5, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  7. peakarach,des moines,IA

I am sooo sick of hearing about Obama as a community organizer and 20 in a racist church.

NO WAY! NO HOW! NOBAMA!

September 5, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  8. Luis

Obama Zombies,

Please join Barack back in Chicago when he gets sent home by the voters. We will not fall for the hype in November.................

September 5, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  9. AllOfUs

Who cares who Heart likes???? I mean really... who likes Heart?? Gilby Clark sure hangs wtihout them now... That's like saying Guns and Roses objects and showing a picture of Axl Rose. That's just like the Obama team, all headline and no article!

September 5, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  10. Donna

Palin's exaggerations and falsehoods continue to be exposed and I hope CNN will give a close look at her statements. For example, she stated emphatically in her acceptance speech that she sold the Alaska plane and beamed "I put it on e-bay." The plane was not sold on e-bay but was sold by the efforts of a private broker, as public documents establish. The fact that Palin may have considered e-bay as a way to sell a plane hardly squares with the truth. Why would she lie about something so simple? Because it was politically expedient to do so.

Palin's resume also only lists the college from which she graduated. She does not list, much less explain, the number of other colleges she briefly attended. Certainly, people switch schools for any number of reasons. This, however, is an unusual number and Palin has no education after college. Why would she fail to disclose the true picture of her education?

Palin's husband did not go to college. It appears that her daughter and the father of the daughter's baby are not in high school. Again, many highly educated people are ignorant and ineffective and the Palin family's focus on other things is not in itself fatal. However, these issues deserve scrutiny.

September 5, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  11. tpipe Owosso MI

Nice job Ann and Nancy Wilson, your relevance was short lived by not wanting your music used by the GOP. Glad you can stick to your guns.
    Nice to know your politics is not based on money.

September 5, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  12. Observation

After listening to McCain's speech last night, MCain's stragety is clear to me. All week his advisors have been comparing Obama to Plain, and I wondered why are they comapring the VP to the Presidential canadiate on the other side. It's because McCain does'nt stand a chance against Obama's character.

the best thing for Obama to do, is stay focus on McCain and completely ignore Sarah Palin.

September 5, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  13. abe

Come on ladies, they need all the help they can get. Have a Heart!

September 5, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  14. Keith

Diane,

McCain hasn't given his entire life to the service of his country. I respect what he went through in Nam but he's just another career politician living off the teet of the people. He's one of a group of people who while limiting the term of a president ( who cares what the people want) and yet give themselves unlimted terms. Keep my people happy and I can stay in office ie pork spending. Instead of focusing on what the country needs they focus on what will get them re-elected. Wouldn't we all like a job that that we could draw retirement after just four years and have great healthcare.

Jefferson, Washington, Adams they served their country and then they went home.

September 5, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  15. E.C.Coleman

HOW RIDICULOUS! WHO EVER HEARD OF THESE PEOPLE? IF ANYTHING THOSE TWO FORGOTTEN PEOPLE SHOULD BE THRILLED THAT SOMEONE IN THE WORLD REMEMBERS THEM.

September 5, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  16. NCResident

I would think Heart would be joyous someone...anyone... is playing their music.

September 5, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  17. Stacy

“Heart” should be happy that their music is getting any play time. I haven’t heard there music in years…… These comments against McCain and Palin seem written with such a bitter hand. McCain is ready and able to be president and Gov. Palin is an educated, smart, hard working mother of five, beautiful, talented….and the liberals cannot stand it.

I heard a commentator last night state that Gov. Palin was going to appear to uneducated women in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and some other states. Well, I’m a college educated, smart, hard working mother of two sons (one a freshman engineering student), beautiful and talented, and she appeals to me. MSNBC is going to have to get some new talking points, because they’re totally out of touch with women on this one.

September 5, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  18. maryann

how ridiculous of heart....you would think they would consider it an honor. that is free publicity for them and more song sales.

September 5, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  19. Charles I Am

It tickles me to hear the Republicans cry that the media is being sexist when they are the ones that call her "Barracuda" and "Hot Chick". The old white heads are so clueless!!

September 5, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  20. JAMES PORTER

In a football analogy, it would seem that B. Hussein Yo-mama and Joe Bid-rigging Biden are the "undefeatable team" (Patriots) while John and Sarah are the "team with no chance" (Giants). Anyone remember how that turned out last February? The same storm is brewing. As long as John and Sara keep it close, all you need is 50% + 1 electoral vote to win. They don't give points for style.

September 5, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  21. Anonymous

America is speaking, we DO NOT want john mccain, or his poor choice of a running mate. mccain tried to cover up Americas cries, but America will be heard.

September 5, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  22. Mona

Heart has always been one of my favorite bands, and here I thought they were actually being smart by supporting McCain/Palin. Now I know they're just like all the other celebrities who run with the pack and can't think for themselves. Socialism hasn't worked in other countries - why should we think it will work in ours? Stand up for our country and vote McCain/Palin!

September 5, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  23. frank

Ann and Nancy shouldn't complain...people are actually listening to their music again.

September 5, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  24. Chut Pata

So Miss Congeniality and McShame are robbing people of their intellectual property even before their election. One can imagine the corruption once they take office.

September 5, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  25. Don, NY

Heart, get over yourselves. You're old and washed up...you should be glad for the exposure. If it weren't for Guitar Hero, no one would even know that awful song! I a still a registered Democrat, but after what that party has done throughout the past year, I am done! McCain/Palin '08!

September 5, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |