September 5th, 2008

Heart condemns McCain-Palin use of 'Barracuda'

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.
Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - Blasting through the Republican convention hall is the 1977 hit "Barracuda" by rock band Heart.

It's a shout-out to Sarah Palin. When she played basketball in high school, the soon-to-be Republican vice presidential nominee earned the nickname "Sarah barracuda" for her fierce competitiveness.

Some of her opponents revived the "Sarah barracuda" nickname after she became mayor of her hometown, Wasilla, in 1996, defeating a three-term incumbent.

UPDATE: Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart said Thursday night that Universal Music Publishing and Sony BMG have sent a cease and desist notice to the McCain-Palin campaign over their use of 'Barracuda.'

"We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We
hope our wishes will be honored," the group said in a statement that said they "condemn" the use of the song at the Republican convention.

Filed under: John McCain • John McCcain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Christoffel van Vuuren - Montreal - Canada

First Sarah Palin is going to wash the floor with that welcome mat Biden has had sewn to his head in lui of a hairpiece.
    Then she will string out Obama's hair and wash the walls with his moptop.

September 4, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  2. Gsamlal

SARAH SHOULD LEARN MCCAIN, REGARDING STATEMANSHIP. SHE MADE HER SELF A BIG FOOL LAST NIGHT.

FROM TORONTO

September 4, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  3. ChrisP, Buffalo NY

Barracuda? She's more like "Jaws!!!"

September 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  4. Amy in MInneapolis

omg..his so boring, i couldn't sit though the spaeech!!!

September 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  5. Tone

I was a POW, I Sold a plane on Ebay
    I was a POW, I Sold a plane on Ebay
    I was a POW, I Sold a plane on Ebay
    I was a POW, I Sold a plane on Ebay
    I was a POW, I Sold a plane on Ebay
    I was a POW, I Sold a plane on Ebay

is the only thing thats going to come out of the mouths of McCain Palin

September 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  6. Griff

Barracuda... Barack Obama know's about this Fish.... They live in the Indian Ocean.... East Africa....

September 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  7. Elizabeth

Funny, in the song it says "If the real thing don't do the trick, you better make up something quick", which sounds a lot like the vetting and choosing process of Palin.

September 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  8. Kate in NC

The pertinent words to Barracuda -
    If the real thing don't do the trick
    You better make up something quick
    You gonna burn into the wick
    Aren't you, Barracuda?

Great song for the McCain/Palin ticket

September 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  9. Dr. Mimi De La Cruz

OH YES THAT AND ALL THAT EDUCATION

OR IS IT LL THOSE COLLEGES. POOR OBAMA

AND BIDEN, THEY ONLY WENT TO ONE COLLEGE

AND ONE LAW SCHOOL, WHAT A PITY.

SHE IS NOTHING BUT FLUFF WITH A NASTY MOUTH.

September 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  10. Mary, Ex-PUMA

MSNBC interviewed a former republican speech writer and "Washington Post" writer. He dissed McCain's speech.

Even Republicans were disappointed by it the speech.

11. Chi4Obama

With McCain, Palin, and the rest of the GOP going way negative during the convention; I believe this gives Democratics the greenlight to hit back hard.

I hope Barack & Biden "take the gloves off", and show no mercy against the GOP. Keep in mind, Obama is a product of Chicago politics (wink).

12. Dave

From Mr. Schneider's earlier entry –

"I don’t know if it’s fair to say Obama is wishing away the global economy, as McCain is saying –- what’s the basis of that claim?"

Perhaps it's based on the anti-trade bordering on xenophobic rhetoric that came from both Senator Obama and Senator Clinton during the primary (especially when they were campaining in Ohio). Senator Obama hasn't recanted this position in any significant way. Our people don't have jobs? Blame China. Blame NAFTA. Blame India. Blame Mexico. Blame anybody else, because this candidate needs union backing.

13. justin from ct

old song. Old failed ideas.

14. Terrence Thurman

I listen to John Mcain's speeh and he said he was going to shake up Washington and do all of these thing but he never said how. How am I suppose to beleive what he is saying if he never says how he is going to do all of this?

15. John from Texas

GUYS! DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE. I REPEAT DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE. HE SIMPLY READ FROM A TELEPROMPTER.
    THE REPUBLICANS HAVE BASHED AND BASHED THE DEMOCRATS. HOW DARE THEY SAY THAT OBAMA IS INEXPERIENCED.
    RUDY BASHED
    ROMNEY BASHED
    HUCKABEE BASHED
    THESE ARE LOSERS, AND THEY REALLY DON'T HAVE TOO MUCH CREDIBILITY... LETS FACE FACTS, I CANNOT TRUST A DULLARD TO RUN OUR GREAT COUNTRY... HIS IQ IS RELATIVELY LOW, AND THEY SAY THAT PEOPLE LIKE THAT REACT BEFORE THINKING......
    GUYS BUSH HAS MESSED IT UP FOR THE REPUBLICANS... STAY AWAY FROM THEM.....

16. Daniel va

Be prepare because he think Palin will run the white house and him will run the army. Sample as that

17. Brandon from Oregon

Personally, I have a feeling McCain isn't sincere and he has always seemed very fake to me. Regardless of his bipartisan approach to this speech, he has been sucking up to the Republican party he never meshed with before.

As a Christian, I am horrified that the evangelical pastors have lined up behind Palin and going against the message that my preacher always hammered into us, which is a woman with a family with young kids needs to be building her family.

The conservatives can vote based on anti-abortion and anti-gay rights beliefs, but as important as those are, we should be voting with the economy in our minds first.

Christians/Students for Obama/Biden!!!!!

18. maynard hopkins wi

THERE IS OTHING WRONG WITH BE CALL BARRACUDA.
    I JUST HOPE SARAHA PUTS THE FEAR OF GOD INTO MANY OF THE ENTRENCHED WASHINGTON FIXTURES.

GO GET THEM

19. Emily

I personally find Palin revolting after her debut last night.

It's like the old saying about only getting one chance to make a first impression, and she certainly made a STRONG negative impression on me. She is a renegade cowboy not unlike Bush. Even McCain's talk of "getting involved" reminded me of her mockery of "community organizers."

20. Sally-Oklahoma

Pitbull suits her better, a female one.

21. sharyl

cnn needs to quit tearing into McCain. He was every bit as good as Obama. This is getting very tiresome. Cnn quit with your biased opinions. I am turning the station.

22. Hillary Supporter

He totally tried to use obama's words. He is no maverick. if he was, he would have let ROVE pick his VP

23. redneck for obama member

mccain theme for tonight-"change is comin' "
    rev. wright [earlier this year in 'prepared' interview with press] theme?-
    "a change is a comin' "

how ironic is that?

September 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  24. LaVelle from Atlanta, GA

Barracuda? Are uou kidding me? She sounds more like the mice from Cinderalla.

September 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  25. Bill

McCain's a decent man well worth voting for – that's what I think most people in the TV audience feel after the speech. Most of the people at the convention seemed more enthusiastic about their new pet "barracuda". They're addicted to partisan bickering – the Karl Rove legacy. You reap what you sow.

September 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |