September 5th, 2008

Heart condemns McCain-Palin use of 'Barracuda'

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.
Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - Blasting through the Republican convention hall is the 1977 hit "Barracuda" by rock band Heart.

It's a shout-out to Sarah Palin. When she played basketball in high school, the soon-to-be Republican vice presidential nominee earned the nickname "Sarah barracuda" for her fierce competitiveness.

Some of her opponents revived the "Sarah barracuda" nickname after she became mayor of her hometown, Wasilla, in 1996, defeating a three-term incumbent.

UPDATE: Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart said Thursday night that Universal Music Publishing and Sony BMG have sent a cease and desist notice to the McCain-Palin campaign over their use of 'Barracuda.'

"We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We
hope our wishes will be honored," the group said in a statement that said they "condemn" the use of the song at the Republican convention.

Filed under: John McCain • John McCcain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Barracuda

A fish with fangs. And lipstick.

September 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  2. Kathy, Andover

"Barracuda" paired with High School somehow loses it's significance. lol btw is Heart Republican? Seems like McCain keeps getting his campaign songs yanked from him, because the bands don't support him . . .

September 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  3. Needed: VP experience

I keep wondering why a man like John McCain allowed himself to be goaded into picking Sarah Palin.

I will never vote for a vice presidential candidate with such limited experience in the face of McCain's age.

Such will weigh him down, "Sarahbarracuda" or not.

September 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  4. zach

Let's put her in a Senatorial election against Hillary and then see who the real barracuda is...Palin ain't got NOTHIN on my girl

September 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  5. LaVelle from Atlanta, GA

Barracuda? Are you kidding me? She sounds more like the mice from Cinderalla.

September 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  6. sophia nyc

Change is coming alright. Out with the old in with the new.

Obama/Biden '08

September 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  7. Hillary Supporter

I am so sick of hearing war stories. Yes John we get it, you are a war hero but you are not going to run my country.

September 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  8. Paul

I sincerely hope every network shows Keith Olberman's commentary on that sickening September 11 video. That was true journalistic integrity. Here's a link to a copy of the video

September 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  9. tillman

MAYBE SHE WAS CALLED THAT BECAUSE SHE CHEWED UP COLLEGES IN FIVE YEARS.

September 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  10. ellen, illinois

It's good to be tough and not take people's critism personally, but Sarah was too mean spirited in her speach.

September 4, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  11. Griff

When will he go home??? And help the Toto's.... Your guess is as good as mine,,,

September 4, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  12. Jeff

These conventions will fade away soon and then we move to the debates. May the best man win.

September 4, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  13. Chi4Obama

I played High school basketball, and was Student Government President. Not to mention the fact that I am well traveled, and have an MBA (Sarah Palin has a B.S. in Journalism).

Hence, by John McCain's standards, I am more than qualified to VP on the GOP ticket.

September 4, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  14. Dave51

And why the obamatrons should be afraid.
    I'm a life long democrat but after the way Senator Clinton was treated by the DNC &CNN and now Govenor Palin, I am now independent and supporting MCCain & Palin with my vote this election.

When the Dems get back to having a "real democratic party" again, let me know: I might re-consider.

September 4, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  15. Eric

Well we have barracuda, pitbull, to which we can add a couple more from the animal farm.

September 4, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  16. Michael

Ugh, this is one fish to throw back in the water.

September 4, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  17. JO

Palin Power .... Go McCain/Palin

September 4, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  18. Liz

Doesn't sound like her approach is attracting many Indies. If all he needed were the rightwingnuts he should have known they'd never vote for a "Black guy" anyway.

September 4, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  19. RyanT

Let's just be glad his meds finally kicked in and he shut up. Now if only he would muzzle his pitbull. Life would be all good. BTW...why did it take so long for Hillary to make a statement? You'd think she would have stepped up to the plate sooner when people started comparing Palin to her. Can't help but think she didn't step up sooner because she is still fuming over not winning the nomination. I have always been a Clinton supporter-Bill and Hillary, but I saw a different side of both during the primaries and was a little disappointed. Her late statement doesn't do much for me either. Sorry fellow democrats.

September 4, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  20. Christine

I love you Hillary, but there is a new lady in town. No way will I vote for Obama/Biden. The botton line is: McCain has given his entire life in service to his country, Obama has sacrificed NOTHING.

September 4, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  21. michael m

Do you think Ann and Nancy Wilson will give up playing that song at concerts now?

September 4, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  22. sue

I Love You Jeffrey Toobin...You are my Hero!

September 4, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  23. are you kidding?

His entire CAMPAIGN has been negative. They have NO agenda, and without his walker he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

September 4, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  24. Northwest Washington

Has anybody noticed that while the Republicans this week have been slapping themselves on the back the Dow has gone down over 500 points. Also, while we are all fixed on the life and times of the Palin's, Dick Cheney is in Georgia ( not to be confused with the Atlanta, Georgia) committing the U.S. to defending it against further agression from the Russian's.

Do you think the Republicans really have a handle on things?

September 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  25. Hillary Supporter

Please tell Wolf that McCain is not going to give a cabinet position so he can stop kissing McCain's butt.

September 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |