September 5th, 2008

Heart condemns McCain-Palin use of 'Barracuda'

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.
Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - Blasting through the Republican convention hall is the 1977 hit "Barracuda" by rock band Heart.

It's a shout-out to Sarah Palin. When she played basketball in high school, the soon-to-be Republican vice presidential nominee earned the nickname "Sarah barracuda" for her fierce competitiveness.

Some of her opponents revived the "Sarah barracuda" nickname after she became mayor of her hometown, Wasilla, in 1996, defeating a three-term incumbent.

UPDATE: Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart said Thursday night that Universal Music Publishing and Sony BMG have sent a cease and desist notice to the McCain-Palin campaign over their use of 'Barracuda.'

"We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We
hope our wishes will be honored," the group said in a statement that said they "condemn" the use of the song at the Republican convention.

Filed under: John McCain • John McCcain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Ron Pab,San Francisco

I think the real change/reform in washington will come from
    McCain and Sarah.

I Hope the OBAMA FANATICS gets it.

The world we live in is in peril and its a disastrous if will go to the wrong hands of obama.

We need people who are tested in government and executive branch
    like john and sarah.

Not an experience from community organizer.

John and Sarah 2008

September 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  2. ex-Republican for Obama

I was a supporter of Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin is no Hillary Clinton. She can be a "barracuda", but that doesn't change how she stands on the issues such as abortion, gun control, and the environment. My vote goes with Obama/Biden!

September 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  3. Bud

It is sad because this in all actuality was a pretty effective speech. The one main problem was he took his own party to task and it fell on deaf ears. The GOP will vote for McCain, but only out of necessity to get Pailn's stalwart ideologies closer to the top of the ticket.

So when does the media get to ask her about all her contradictions and skeletons uncovered in the last few days?

The only thing missing from that embrace was the image of the Twin Towers ablaze.

September 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  4. K of TX

I think America has had enough of predators in the White House...

The Republicans are shouting "Change" and "Reform" now.

The only thing is, THEY'VE BEEN IN CHARGE FOR THE LAST EIGHT YEARS!!!

THANKS, BUT NO THANKS McCAIN/PALIN...

September 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  5. LaVelle from Atlanta, GA

Wait..if she is so embraced by Mccain, why didnt she walk down to the floor with them. Dont forget, Mccain is the boss and he doesnt like women in power.

September 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  6. Bill

I'm sorry but she is great. I know she has many kids & so does John. My question is where will my social security check going to be when Im retired? The last time Bush ran he had said he was working on a plan to help people my age to retire with some extent of income without SS. Unless things have changed should this be an issue? I pay ss tax every paycheck but I won't have any benifit when I retire.

September 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  7. jed

so..... has anyone asked Heart if they endorse this campaign?

September 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  8. dad&daughterbloggers

And this nick-name help create jobs how?

September 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  9. Brian Elms

I hope they win......... Its what we need!

September 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  10. Steven P.

Sarah Palin is the fall "gal" for her party. She has zero political future, She will make money off writing a book. They know they are going to loose so why drag a good man down with them? She's taking one for the team.
    It is the laughing stock to the world, Obama will win. Otherwise it will be God help American not God Bless America.

September 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  11. Maria A.

Palin is a barracuda for sure. She has no empathy for others. She cut special needs programs in her state by over 60 percent. But, now that she has a child w/special needs, she wants to supportt these programs. Seems she can only relate to things that hit her at home.

12. Cathy

She is definitely no Hillary Clinton. More Roseanne Barr.

13. Jeff Glagowski

Fun fact!

Barracuda lyrics:

"If the real thing dont do the trick
    You better make up something quick
    You gonna burn burn burn burn it to the wick
    Ooooooh, barracuda?"

How appropriate.

14. Jerry RN Indiana

Well no matter what it will be said here on these blogs that he was out of touch, that he just did not get it, that he is Bush but, what McCain had done is talked stright and told how he wants our country to be one again.

Just watching the rap up on cnn has showed me that no matter what you want Obama and you need Obama and there is no one better than Obama. Well listen to what was said and that McCain wants our country to ours not the parties. It does not matter CNN will not post the truth here just the same old fight BUSH bad Obama godd no Obama great no Obama GOD

15. Obama supporter

I find it hypocritical that Palin would say that she is a voice for special needs when she's for conservative judges that destroyed the Americans with Disabilities Act.

16. Kim

She's an annoying harpy with a muppet voice, hardly a barracuda. If she's his muscle I pity the old fool. McCain looks like a simpleton when he stands there staring at the camera with that uncomfortable smile on his face. He's creepy and I'm not convinced he's not an animatronic.

17. just vote

Palin came out nad started bashing for a cuase she knew nothing about until she was trained by others.She had no idea what we are facing but now she seem to be so concerned. I am so tired of hearing about McCain and his service I appluad him the first thousand times I heard it but now I say its enough.What about my nephew who got shot while in Iraq? You didnt tell me what you are going to do for him.You only repeating what Obama said. I will not vote for him or Palin.He didnt tell us anything...what is this " I will cut taxes where I can"? what does that mean? where will you cut taxes? In my elderly Mom SSI? I can't put my vote to someone who won't tell me what he plan to do.

18. Jeff

Obama taught constitutional law and University of Chicago. Hre has given to this country.

19. Andrew

I could care less about experience, I care about JUDGEMENT

20. obgyn

If people really care about families and the development of children
    someone would be honest enough to say, "You cannot bond with a 4 month old baby when you are on the road in a national election or performing national or international duties"
    "There is nothing sexist about saying men and women have different roles in a childs life (men cannot breast feed) and although you have successful working mothers, most of those mothers come home at night and bond with their child, most of those mothers are not dealing with jobs in the national arena (hiding out in bunkers, etc.,). The palin babay will think his sister or nanny is his mother, it seem Palin chose fame over her child because there are many ways to serve your country and bond with your newborn. Go to a maternity ward and ask mothers of newborns if they had a CHOICE, would they travel around the country and work with a 4 month old special needs child at home.
    The media has got to push back and stop Palin from playing the gender/sexist card. If she wants equality with men and she throws a punch like a man, she should be able to take it and stop whinning.

21. Edward

I thought the symbol of our nation was the bald eagle.

I heard once that Ben Franklin wanted it to be the turkey.

If McCain-Palin want to change it to barracuda, I'm sorry, I'm against that. We should not stray so far from what our Founding Fathers wanted.

22. Mark Kahle

Christine??? Have you done any fact checking, or just spewing more negativity.... you really have no clue do you??

OBAMA/BIDEN 08! 12!
    CLINTON 16! 20!

23. redneck for obama member

PLEASE POST EARLIER COMMENT!!!

24. Anthony

McCain speech was horrible.

September 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  25. Ito

"Sarah barracuda" cannot revive the McCain-Palin ticket because tonight's McCain's speech couldn't spike up, it spiraled downward.

The temporary excitement about Palin will quickly wear off because people are yearning for fresh, invigorating ideas and not the stale, wrinkled pieces of bread that's been desperately heated in the oven.

Gone are the days when America is celebrated in the whole world. When the citizens of other countries are proud to ties American flag scarfs around their heads in their communities. It was a bragging claim and pride they had in America.

Under the Republicans, the world hated the American flag but secretly desire when they could proundly tie the American flag scarfs around their heads again. Those were the days of economic prosperity and high respect for American leadership. It won't happen with McCain.

But those days are here with Obama.

September 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |