September 5th, 2008

Heart condemns McCain-Palin use of 'Barracuda'

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.
Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - Blasting through the Republican convention hall is the 1977 hit "Barracuda" by rock band Heart.

It's a shout-out to Sarah Palin. When she played basketball in high school, the soon-to-be Republican vice presidential nominee earned the nickname "Sarah barracuda" for her fierce competitiveness.

Some of her opponents revived the "Sarah barracuda" nickname after she became mayor of her hometown, Wasilla, in 1996, defeating a three-term incumbent.

UPDATE: Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart said Thursday night that Universal Music Publishing and Sony BMG have sent a cease and desist notice to the McCain-Palin campaign over their use of 'Barracuda.'

"We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We
hope our wishes will be honored," the group said in a statement that said they "condemn" the use of the song at the Republican convention.

Filed under: John McCain • John McCcain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. kriss g

We don't need more fighting. We need unity in this country. I am saddened that a woman who had an incredible forum to speak to women's issues, such as equal pay, is more interested in positioning herself as a barracuda. If she can really hold her own, why then is the McCain staff not allowing her to do interviews? Kind of like keeping her barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen isn't it?

September 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  2. S. Boatman

Do They Even Know The Lyrics To That Song? . . . I Believe Part Of The Song Says . . . . ' Burn Into The Wind' . . . That Is Exactly What Your Campaign Is Going To Do! You Are A Worn Out Maverick With A Pet Eel!

September 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  3. LouAnn

That is ridiculous....who is running for president, Palin? I know the RNC is trying to embrace her, but outside the convention, people are disliking and distrusting her even more since her speech. She is a disgrace to politics, to women, and to parents. She will be going home and I hope they want her back.

September 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  4. CC in PA

One of my favorite songs goes down in flames. I'll never be able to hear it again without thinking of that evil snarling beast, the republican party.

I guess you had to top of that speech full of forces sincerity with something good.

September 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  5. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

This woman is about as qualified to be VP as a woman wrestler. The attempts by the McCain campaign to try and dress her up as something bigger than she is are fraudulently disgusting. Come to your senses, folks! Should John McCain die, can you HONESTLY see her sitting at a table with Putin or Ahmedinijad, correctly sizing them up and effectively dealing with them? Is THIS the person you want running our military with her finger on the nuclear trigger? A HOCKEY MOM?

I DON'T THINK SO!!!

Palin has none of the realpolitik knowledge, sophistication, maturity, or worldliness of a Margaret Thatcher, Benazir Bhutto, Indira Gandhi, Golda Meir, or Hillary Clinton. The bad Republican brand name is once again trying to unload some very defective product on us, just like they did with George W. Bush.

DO NOT FALL FOR THIS!!!!

September 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  6. gmm

I am happy to have a barracuda that is on my side in Washington. I am a working woman from the suburbs of a city in PA. I have been a life long dem. I registered as an independent 10 years ago because I was tired of following a party that was going too liberal but I could not connect with the reps. Only once I didn't vote for a dem for pres because I couldn't vote for the candidate, so I voted for my Dad, a hero from WWII and dem, and a better person that the candidate (I just couldn't pull the lever for a rep). I had no intention of voting for McCain, but w/ Palin, if I voted today, they would have my vote.

September 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  7. Nevada dude

a song from the 70's for a party that's stuck in the 70's.

I'm voting for change.

OBAMA BIDEN '08

p.s. thank you Hillary for getting behind us. we cannot do it without you!!

September 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  8. desertique

just what we need a barracuda in the white house.
    NOT

September 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  9. LA

I wish they would have at least showed a little more interest in what went own down here in LA. But thats the problem, they automatically believe they will get the state-its time we stand up so that these automatic state colors (red/blue) will disappear!

September 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  10. ObamaAllTheWay

What a joke......Sarah can dish it out but when it comes back all we hear are "sexism". What hypocrites. Not my vote ! NO WAY !

September 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  11. AmericaAgainstScareTactics

Jeffery Toobin is REAL TALK.

Can CNN get rid of that joke that is Wolf Blitzer and get this man a program?

Probably the most boring convention EVER.

September 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  12. mc

Democrats are running scared. You can tell from the comments on the blogs and the looks on the faces of the liberal commentators. A real American hero, and a real American woman are on the way to the White House!!!! McCain/Palin

September 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  13. Sarah Palin = Phyllis Schlafley (do a Google)

Sarah Dear

Please stay in Alaska and do the RIGHT THING!

Raise your Down Syndrome baby YOURSELF!

Don't saddle him on your older children. Let them have their own lives!

You should never have gotten pregnant at age 43; your chances of having a Down Syndrome baby was greatly enhanced at that age. How selfish!

September 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  14. Andrew

I could care less about experience, I care about JUDGEMENT which Palin does not have

September 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  15. sacto joe

Well, is Governor Palin a barracuda or a pit bull with lipstick?

Personally I think that she's more like a pit chihuahua with lipstick. Especially compared to Senator Biden!

September 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  16. Luke Brown

They are just using Palin. McCain didn;t have the guts to go against Rove. She will be the single most ineffective VP since Quayle ... until the old man kicks the bucket.

September 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  17. Kevin from MN

It seems to me that most Republicans are more excited about the prospect of Palin being on top of the ticket in 4 years with perhaps Jindahl as a running mate

September 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  18. PJ

Baracuda? She's a blow fish...full of water and hot air.

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  19. nuel

Good performance from McCain , but it is the same old retorics that we heared at saddleback, no future plan, no definate economic plan other than cutting taxes. how does he intend to payback Bush debt?
    he said he is bi-partisan, but his choice was a right wing Pitbull with lipstick.He talked about Georgia, but his adviser was being paid millioms by georgia when he was a lobbyist.
    Talk about changing Washington, when all he talked about was the things he did with washington. He wants us to fight but didn`t tell who to fight, talked about war but no plan . i wanted to give him a chance but i fell asleep `cos he talked for so long and it was boring

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  20. KC

The crowd was comatos. I am comatos. The US w/McCain/Palin is comatos.

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  21. deidre

Disrespectful. I bet those protesters never served their own country that allows them the right to do so.

IF THEY WOULD HAVE LISTENED.... they would have heard McCain say he was understands people are pissed off. And if you are pissed off do something for a cause that is greater than yourself.

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  22. Mary

Yeah, "barracuda" to me, in the context of Palin's speech last night, means "bully". That's what she seems to be– a divisive partisan bully. Also, a popular website had a story about how they are using that song illegally, even after the band Heart sent them a letter of cease and desist.

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  23. Donna from California

Barracuda is sweeter, yet perhaps less indicative, than piranha.

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  24. CM

Man, that guy is painful to listen to. His delivery is horrible.

Barracudas are the scavengers of the sea. If they're loaners then they'e probably poisonous as well.

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  25. Something's Fishy...

Just like a barracuda out of water...the longer Governor Palin is out of Alaska the more she will begin to stink.

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |