September 5th, 2008

Heart condemns McCain-Palin use of 'Barracuda'

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.
Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - Blasting through the Republican convention hall is the 1977 hit "Barracuda" by rock band Heart.

It's a shout-out to Sarah Palin. When she played basketball in high school, the soon-to-be Republican vice presidential nominee earned the nickname "Sarah barracuda" for her fierce competitiveness.

Some of her opponents revived the "Sarah barracuda" nickname after she became mayor of her hometown, Wasilla, in 1996, defeating a three-term incumbent.

UPDATE: Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart said Thursday night that Universal Music Publishing and Sony BMG have sent a cease and desist notice to the McCain-Palin campaign over their use of 'Barracuda.'

"We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We
hope our wishes will be honored," the group said in a statement that said they "condemn" the use of the song at the Republican convention.

Filed under: John McCain • John McCcain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Seriously

OK... IM GETTING TIRED OF SARAH PALIN AND HER MAYORAL TERM... WASILLA IS A SMALL TOWN OF SEVERAL THOUSAND PEOPLE.... I KNOW OF COLLEGE STUDENTS THAT HAVE ACHIEVED THE ABILITY TO GET SEVERAL THOUSAND PEOPLE TO VOTE FOR THEM... NOT TO MENTION COMMAND A BUDGE T THE SIZE OF THIS TOWN...

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  2. Real Woman

I wish they stop protecting Palin- she may be a woman but no lady! Game ON!

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  3. Niel

FOUR MORE YEARS.
    FOUR MORE YEARS.
    FOUR MORE YEARS.
    FOUR MORE YEARS.
    FOUR MORE YEARS.
    FOUR MORE YEARS.

Post it CNN. You are baised. I like Fox News better than you.

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  4. Darrell

Please stop calling Palin, a pit bull it is very insulting to my dog.Joe "The Shark Biden" with take a bite out of this barracuda and spit it out on the debates.Some Barracuda leaves a bad taste in your mouth.We can all be happy now the war stories will end for a day or so.The snoozefest is finally over,back to the Dems and real answers please.

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  5. Jen

Nothing but vitriol in the McCain campaign.

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  6. Debby

I am listening to Bagala and what I find funny is John McCain was a Maverick for change before Barack Obama even entered politics. Obama doesn't have patton on CHANGE nor does he have the experience to do it.

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  7. Manuel TX

I love Hillary too, but to finally crack open that ceiling it may just take Palin, especially since the DNC appears so committed to doing everything possible to keep Hillary out of the white house.

At this point it's going to be up to Obama. Hillary can't help you now.

For myself, I'm voting Palin/McCain...err McCain/Palin. :)

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  8. rachel

Ryan she made a good statement, she will be in Florida for Obama on Monday sorry she didnt have a knee jerk reaction like Obama's camp. She waited till the republicans were done with their little convention, she had to give sarah a chance to speak and present her self before she really said anything, and her previous statement was what it should have have been congratulating her but saying her polices wont move america in the right direction. If she would have had a knee jerk reaction the mccain camp would have called her bitter and jealous because sarah got the nod and she didnt.

September 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  9. James from Stone Moutain, GA

I was disappointed. I thought he would give specifics to revive the economy. I saw a shift from the "maverick" of old to the "change" agent. Other than a war record, what is he bringing to the table? And to think I liked him just a few years ago.

September 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  10. Jim

How about that gunner pilot? Did Cindy McCain really say that???

Are we electing a war team?

September 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  11. Eli - Rosewood, CA

are you kidding – you got to be kidding. Get your head from out of your butt.

September 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  12. RinOhio

Wow, what a horrible convention, what a pathetic speech! If people are really fooled by this nonsense then God help us all!

September 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  13. Joe citizen abroad in Canada

Who cares what her nickname was in high school? And who, at what's supposed to be the height of her career, reaches that far back to fill out their resume? Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic.

September 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  14. Cecil

P.O.W. P.O.W. P.O.W. P.O.W. P.O.W.P.O.W.P.O.W.P.O.W.P.O.W.
    P.O.W.P.O.W.P.O.W.P.O.W.P.O.W.P.O.W.P.O.W.P.O.W.P.O.W.

September 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  15. Tim

For those who don't want to hear McCain's war stories I invite you to put your son into that position and see how you feel. You all ought to be ashamed of yourselves for not listening because many Americans have forgotten why we are here today. And I know it wasn't the liberal protesters that got us Freedom.

September 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  16. lb

the republican convention was so depressing. i am so glad it is over.

September 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  17. truth08

Sad, very sad. Not yet another impressive RNC night of avoiding this country issues, but another night of bashing. I am so sick of hearing about McPlain's military record, until I’m about to burst. I'm a veteran myself and serving my country to me was a privilege and there wasn’t anything special about it, but McPlain and his supporters feel like McPlain was the only individual in the military during his dusty military career.
    But McPlain wants you to believe he’s going to fix everything if you the American public elect him President, well just ask yourself this, if he was so concerned about your well being, why didn’t he FIGHT for you, the American public the last 8 years but instead he kept following Bushes lead, why are gas prices so high, why are food prices so high, why are a vase number of the American people losing their homes, no health care, just to mention a few of the problems that plagues the American public today.
    I can see it and the American public can see, that this Republican ticket of McPlain and his VP tick Pal???, who is this bimbo again? Well at least one thing, she knows how to lie and she knows how to lie well. These out of touch Repubs, actually believe that the American public, is so dumb to fall for another 4 years of this present crap, because I don’t know about you but the last 8 years under the control of, lets face it people “the dumbest President this country has ever had, and believe you me, the history books are being written to reflect that, as we speak, count on it.
    And a final note, that RNC was the most boring convention that I’ve seen in a long time, at one time , I thought the delegates were about to go out and start selling some Amway products. And no they didn’t mention the residents of the Gulf Coast, not after the “dumbest president in American history”, administration, turned its backs on those people, who were in a time of need. Also, lets not forget the things this administration has shown us, the American public over the last 8 years, people vote for your future and your children’s future, lets take back America, because it’s now or never, and if you believe for one moment “Change is coming in the Stars”, then God help us, if the Repubs win, God Bless American, because we are going to need it.
    Obama/Biden 08

September 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  18. colleen

CNN – why did you close the Hillary Cinton comments before any of us had the opportuntity to weigh in....THANKS HILLARY....WE APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT, AND THINK NO HOW, NO WAY, NO MACAIN/PALIN SHOULD BE PUT IN AN ADVERTISEMENT, BUMPER STICKERS, ETC. THANKS

September 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  19. Max

Nice analogy to Palin: a soul-less blood thirsty fish. The Republicans got it right for once !

September 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  20. Ivette absentee voter in Panama

Are you serious "Christine"? What in the world makes a POW more qualified to lead the U.S. than anyone else? I worked for the Department of Defense for many years and I was there during the invasion of Panama!!!!! As a matter of fact...I saw danger and death up close and personal!!! Does that make me qualified to run the nation? Please let me know so that I can also run for President during the next election!!!!!!!

September 4, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  21. Scott Tucson

You can either vote for an American or you can vote for Obama...

September 4, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  22. McAlister

AMERICANS! The time has come for us to revive the Patriotism we lost!

Sarah Palin spoke the truth when she said, Obama uses change to promote himslef and his career and McCain uses his career to bring change!

Truth is very very bitter for the Democrats, who have nothing but unruly liberalism that cost US so much – including a President who used his office for activities that shamed America – who now supports Obama!

No Way! No How! NOBAMA!

September 4, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  23. Scott L

9/4/08 – "The surge worked beyond anyone's wildest dreams!" – Barack Obama....your anointed flip flopper. Finally he admits it. Hope you Dems are paying attention to your failure of a nominee. He just threw all of you under the bus.

September 4, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  24. Will

Wait..isn't this supposed to be about the possible next president McCain?

.........Why do the Republicans act like Palin is going to be the next president?

September 4, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  25. Cecil

What An Uninspiring Night GOP.

No Vision For The Nation, Obama Is Right.

That's Why They Attack, Attack, Attack.

September 4, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |