September 5th, 2008

Heart condemns McCain-Palin use of 'Barracuda'

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.
Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - Blasting through the Republican convention hall is the 1977 hit "Barracuda" by rock band Heart.

It's a shout-out to Sarah Palin. When she played basketball in high school, the soon-to-be Republican vice presidential nominee earned the nickname "Sarah barracuda" for her fierce competitiveness.

Some of her opponents revived the "Sarah barracuda" nickname after she became mayor of her hometown, Wasilla, in 1996, defeating a three-term incumbent.

UPDATE: Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart said Thursday night that Universal Music Publishing and Sony BMG have sent a cease and desist notice to the McCain-Palin campaign over their use of 'Barracuda.'

"We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We
hope our wishes will be honored," the group said in a statement that said they "condemn" the use of the song at the Republican convention.

Filed under: John McCain • John McCcain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Lisa M

Good for Heart.

Always loved that band. I

September 5, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  2. Doug J

Heart is older than McCain, they should be thrilled that anyone plays their junk.

September 5, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  3. peakarach,des moines,IA

I HEARD THAT OBAMA WILL DROP JOE BIDEN FOR THE VP SPOT.

September 5, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  4. Brooke

Sarah Palin and John McCain are the true agents of change. Please, tell me, if you Obamabots are so programmed, what change will Biden bring? Do you really think that Obama can lift this country up in just a few months? You might think he's The Chosen One but he's just another senator with a paper thin resume who's only qualification is that he can speak well. Just wait until November. I think a lot of people will go in the voting booth and pull the level for John McCain.

September 5, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  5. Cheryl, Chevy Chase MD

The McCain camp is so stupid that they didn't even check with the group before using their music. You have to wonder what 'experience' has done for McCain. His first major decision (VP choice) is a complete blunder.

September 5, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  6. Gary

If Heart had any business sense, they would encourage the use of the song. About 40 million people watched Palin speak. If 2.5% of them went out and bout Heart's original album, that is 1 million albums sold. They should be out wearing "Palin for VP" shirts.

September 5, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  7. Ian

Just goes to show that they McCain campaign has no concern for private property just like the current administration. If you like that they just do as they please then by all means vote for McCain.

September 5, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  8. Grace, NY

The question is is not whether Sarah Palin is qualified to be President but whether Americans want her to be President-

And the answer is a resounding "YES"--

Sarah Palin 12 & 16'

September 5, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  9. Johan

McCain-Palin you'r great. Blast them away.

September 5, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  10. Sylvia

fine...I will stop playing their music too!!!

RUDE AND PATHETIC

so I guess they only make music for democrats....Republicans need to boycott HEART!!!!

September 5, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  11. Chip

It's a 30-year old song, Heart. Get over it. The conventions are private parties that just happen to be televised and they can play whatever music they want. If you don't like it, turn off the TV.

September 5, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  12. Community Organizer

Who cares about a barricuda? And really.... a POW who sits around all day is nothing, and he had NO responsibility. Who cares? Like a community organizer, it's nothing.. meaningless to help lead people to a better community or to endure pain for your country. It's all meaningless.

I'm still not happy with that comment. Not at all!

September 5, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  13. Oh Boy!!!???

He was selling her last night as the biggest draw to his campaign.

Sarah Palin's approval rating has got to be higher than McCain's.

How can that be when she has been in this campaign for only a week?

He's getting emotional votes, most would have voted for him anyway, but most thinking Americans will see beyond the hypocrisy of one woman is just as good as the next.

September 5, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  14. Will-South Dakota

Barracuda, so this means Palin attacks all everyday average Americans struggling JUST LIKE TOM DELAY the HAMMER beat Americans with his schemes.

September 5, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  15. Wanda Turner

Once the song is out to the public, I think it belongs to the public. I would think that Heart should be glad that their song is getting publicity because before this I had never heard it!

September 5, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  16. a d

I am disgusted with CNN's blatant attempt to quell my comments on your "ticker' blog section. Every single one of my comments is deleted. I don't think you understand the tenets of free speech and free press. I am going to keep tabs and will report this whitewashing tactic. It makes me sad to know that you choose to allow entries by PAID bloggers from the Obama campaign yet remove my entries that are not part of any campaign, party, or 527. Shame on you.

September 5, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  17. ralph

Since Palin is better at drawing crowds(republican at least) maybe she should be the presidental candidate and McCain be the running mate.

September 5, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  18. Kaye- Jacksonville FL

The McCain campaign is just pitiful.....have they ever heard the word "copywright"? Just another example of their unethical, slimy tactics. My new slogan? "Palin Pukes"....she's such an obvious play to the far-right conservative base – but don't believe for a minute that women outside that group are stupid enough to vote for someone with Palin's positions and record. Sorry, McSame – I know you want desperately to be Prez, but it ain't happening on our watch....gotta run, I'm campaigning for Obama and have to get my September donation clicked in!

September 5, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  19. Yo Mamma

Those singers from the band HEART should be glad that anyone wants to use their music at all! I've never heard of them until now!

September 5, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  20. sandy strohschein

The republic convention this week has decided my vote. I will vote for McCain/Palin and can confirm six other undecided voters like myself who have been energized into voting for McCain/Palin. The reason, they are proven leaders, not afraid to challenge the status quo, not afraid of the liberal media and willing to work with both republicans and democrats in their cabinet if they are elected this November.

It is easy to trust my future to a man who had the chance to leave hell but stayed, remembering his place in line. Is this someone who would care about my best interest and that of my children? I think so!
    Go McCain/Palin!

September 5, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  21. April Garlow

This media lie that they had no idea that Sarah could be picked is ridiculous–she has been in the veepstakes on aol for months, and even mentioned by them.They just didn't do their homework on her–because of their bias against women–and it came back on them. Now their annointed one is in trouble so they have stooped to the lowest level I have seen in the last 50 years.So many ethical journalists from the past must be rolling over in their graves.

September 5, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  22. Louise

Sarah Palin is mean spirited. Her sarcasm the night of her speech was very offensive and off putting. There was no need for the sarcasm. I thought that both nominees were going to be above the usual nasty politics of the past campaigns. It seemed that when McCain gave his speech and praised Obama that he was trying to make amends for some of her comments.

September 5, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  23. Pam

No surprise that they used this song without permission. That's how the Republicans operate.
    As far as people saying Palin is someone they can have a beer with, remember we've gone down that road before and it's gotten this country into a lot of trouble. Some of which is irreparable.
    Dumbing down the presidency is a disgrace. We've done it for 8 years and enough is enough. This Hockey Mom is not falling for this team.
    I'm voting for OBAMA.

September 5, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  24. Francis...New York, NY

Yeah...and the Democratic speeces last week were so good-spritied and well natured. Not a single speech given contiunously compared John McCain to four more years of President Bush and Cheney. Not a single speech mentioned his "age". Not a single speech ridiculed John MccAin and the republicans.
    Word to the wise: U Republicans and Democrats are the same thing...trust me.
    That's why I'll always lead Libertarian.

September 5, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  25. Big D

I really don't get why Palin is completely off-limits to the press. Not even a friendly interview is being scheduled. What kind of a tough, fighting person is she if she can't even talk at a public appearance or answer a few reasonable questions. Sure the media talked about her a lot – but not any more than any other candidate for a major office. If she's so tough, you'd think that she'd want to go on the air and give her own answers. Hiding her from the press and the public makes her seem fragile and unprepared.

September 5, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |