September 5th, 2008

Palin trooper probe moved up 3 weeks

Alaska State Trooper Mike Wooten is Palin's ex-brother-in-law.
Alaska State Trooper Mike Wooten is Palin's ex-brother-in-law.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) - Alaska lawmakers Friday moved up their deadline for finishing an investigation into Gov. Sarah Palin's firing of the state's public safety commissioner and warned they will begin issuing subpoenas for witnesses next week.

Related: Trooper in Palin probe tells his side

The report into Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan's dismissal had been scheduled for October 31. But now that Palin is the Republican nominee for vice president, lawmakers want to avoid an "October surprise" that could sway the November presidential election, the investigation's managers said.

Full story

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. EL, OR

Now, I hate the Repugs as much as anybody. But, this guy admitted that he tazed his 10yr old boy. Enough said.

September 5, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  2. Sarah Palin = Phyllis Schlafley

OK, folks, I was not happy with Obama's and his supporters treatment of Hillary Clinton during the primaries, nor of their pressuring her to quit the primaries early (my state of Oregon hadn't voted yet).

I am not a PUMA...I am a retired white teacher who went through the 60's-70's feminist years and supported Hillary Clinton.

I was not sure I could vote for Obama without Hillary on the ticket.

There is no doubt now that I WILL vote for Obama, especially since I love Joe Biden!

ONE MORE DECISION MADE FOR OBAMA!

September 5, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  3. Sarah Palin = Phyllis Schlafley

I was not sure I could vote for Obama without Hillary on the ticket.

ONE MORE DECISION MADE FOR OBAMA!

(this is my first time to make this statement)

September 5, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  4. Big D

You know what scares me the most about Palin if they win? Consider this scenario – McCain has a stroke and is unable to serve for a few months, and she becomes the one who can nominate a Supreme Court Justice. She wants creationism taught in schools, she is at least open to the idea of banning books in public libraries, she's not concerned about global warming or endangered animals, let alone her being against abortion even in cases of rape. As a whole, that's a scary set of beliefs to go behind someone naming anyone for the Supreme Court!

September 5, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  5. Lin

Is this the guy who tasered a 10 yearold and wasn't fired. If I was him I wouldn't be to proud to be in the media spotlight.

September 5, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  6. Trollsbwild

Sarah should want this to be processed as fast as possible. If she is innocent, she has nothing to worry about. Her behavior seems to indicate she is hiding from this. Not the way to go when you are in the fishbowl of running for VP.

What are they going to do? Shrink wrap her until November? It will play badly to the public. The main networks (CBS, ABC, and Fox News) can't be relied upon to do any reporting on this.

September 5, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  7. Nova

The Obama-Biden campaign is counting on this witch hunt to go through. We all know that Palin totally stole the thunder from the Obama's celebrity status. Since the Obama is at a lost of how to counter Mrs. Palin,he rest everything on this investigation because if they are running based on experience, the Obama will lose.

September 5, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  8. Independent Women for Obama

I hope that she is suponea. We need to know the truth about this woman. She seems very vindictive and do we want that as vice-president. Obama / Biden is looking more like the ticket of choice...

September 5, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  9. Carol Myers

Hillary Supporter
    going to vote for
    OBAMA
    This woman from Alaska and the abuse of power investigation sounds a lot like Cheney and Libby. We not only have McBush but also PaCheney. She also fired her Police chief when disagreed with her that the closing time for bars should be changed from 5:00 A.M to 2:OO A.M. She said leave it 5:00A.M. I wander how many alcohalics there are in that town. Probably about the same number of pregnant teenagers.

September 5, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  10. Osmond Lezama

Two war lords prepared to "go to the pit of hell" to win some idea of a war while our economy continues to be riddled with bullet holes.

That is McCain & Palin.

September 5, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  11. Scott L

@El, OR you are correct!

If Democrats want to support a guy that tazered his 10 year old step son...even if it was "for fun" while the family watched "laughing"...that guy should have been fired. If he will tazer his own step son imagine how quick he'd shoot to kill a suspect.

Democrats want to focus on what they want to, and not see the forest through the trees.

And yes people, I voted KERRY in '04. I vote on issues...Obama scaaaares me. No way, no how, NO MORE TAXES!

September 5, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  12. Ian

This is obviously going to go nowhere if they aren't even going to question her. Is there really no point in checking out whether or not their stories match up?

September 5, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  13. keepitreal50

Palin has not been vetted. That is all people need to know about her. Go get vetted and come back in 4 years. By then she will have been back in the gov. office and subsequently voted out of office by the same folks who put her there, (The People), Roger. We say that McCain is boring and now trying to be the change candidate with no idea of how he can make any sense of the issues, why Roger? Because he is a loser and is losing! Obama/Biden 08

September 5, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  14. Gail

Just keep donating to Obama – these thugs are getting the message

September 5, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  15. GOP Woman for Obama

Roger- First off it's McCain not McCaine! Secondly, there is fear from some of us Obama supporters...it's fear that this man will lead us down a further distructive path! He has no new ideas, no plan for the economy and his actions show he is not interested in an energy plan other than more oil!

I did listen to him and I'm convinced now more than ever that Obama is the best person for this job!

I am voted for a Democrat for the first time ever and I couldn't be prouder!

September 5, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  16. bill s DE

McCain is not qualified to be the President of the United States.
    I have notice that everything that Abama does McCain copies.
    Now he is using the change factor. Try to chaim the word for
    his party. "omg"

September 5, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  17. JayInNewHampshire

Once again McCain had a chance to lay out his ideas on the economy and he chose to use his time to re-visit 9/11. As if we could forget! The republicans are trying to use fear to scare up because they have no legitamate plan on how to deal with our domestic issues.

September 5, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  18. Charlie Black

America needs to know how corrupt Sarah Palin is before we put another set of crooks in the White House.

September 5, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  19. Joe

EL,OR – you need to check the facts. Wooten states that he tasered his kid at the kid's request and only for a second. Stupid, yes. But not quite as outrageous in context.

Wooten also said he thinks Palin is a great pick for VP. If you ask me, he's already been "gotten to" and the investigatrion will be a farce.

September 5, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  20. HOCKEY MOM MY..........

Saran Palin will be crushed by this scandal and by Hillary and then by the media wolves. Unfortunatley for Palin, she will not be able to silence these wolves via a helicopter and a rifle.

I HOPE "MISS THING" GETS THE BOOK THROWN AT HER EH!!!

HOCKEY-MOMS FOR OBAMA!

September 5, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  21. Deb

Sounds like the vetting process is starting after the candidate has been nominated. Now there is some expert judgement.

September 5, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  22. Ok

Her speech was shameful. All it consisted of was Palin belittling Obama about his stance that terrorists have rights (Terrorists are people right? "all men are created equal" hmm crazy talk) and his noble job as a community organizer. I don't know but if Palin didn't know what a vice president does, then I'm pretty sure she doesn't know what a community organizer does. They HELP people who do not have the means to help themselves. Community organizers don't just help the rich people like the Republicans love to do while they watch everyone else lose their job and become unable to support their families because of the policies they make. MCCAIN= 4 MORE YEARS OF BUSH BUT WORSE SPEECHES (at least Bush is funny to listen to)

September 5, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  23. Belle1

NICE CNN....report the truth!

Truth is, Sen. Hollis French-Democrat-has had run-ins WITH Gov. Palin.

Funny, Senator French has said TWICE she could be Impeached, and he has an "October Surprise" for Gov. Palin! As a Democrat, there is NO WAY he could have started an investigation, and already have the report Written for an October surprise, unless he had it pre-planned.

Even MORE odd is the FACT that Monegan said "AT NO TIME DID GOV. PALIN TELL ME TO FIRE WOOFEN, NOR DID TODD PALIN"

IF you BEST Political NEWS TEAM bothered to investigate, perhaps you might want to do a story on how Woofen, being found guilty on 4 of the charges, was only given 10 days suspension reduced to 5 after pressure from the Troopers Union.

YUP....that sure is change you can believe in! The Democrats plan to toss Biden out, and Obama threatened Democrats in the Senate that did not endorse him....can't wait to see how he governs. AND what about the Detroit Mayor that is his friend? Until he threw HIM under the bus the day before he pled GUILTY.

September 5, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  24. SENIOR

MCCAIN IS UNPATRIOTIC FOR NOT SUPPORTING HIS FELLOW AMERICANS OVER THE RICH AND BIG CORPORATIONS.

September 5, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  25. MaroNJ

After reading many posts, I just came to conclusion that you liberals are just so scared. I am so glad she came to the ticket, she is energizing young republicans like me. Why don’t you listen to Obama’s speeches and, just analyze them. Stop dreaming, start thinking. With Obama you will get a change, but who said it is going to be a change for better. Do we realy need United Socialist State of America.

September 5, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |