September 5th, 2008

Palin trooper probe moved up 3 weeks

Alaska State Trooper Mike Wooten is Palin's ex-brother-in-law.
Alaska State Trooper Mike Wooten is Palin's ex-brother-in-law.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) - Alaska lawmakers Friday moved up their deadline for finishing an investigation into Gov. Sarah Palin's firing of the state's public safety commissioner and warned they will begin issuing subpoenas for witnesses next week.

Related: Trooper in Palin probe tells his side

The report into Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan's dismissal had been scheduled for October 31. But now that Palin is the Republican nominee for vice president, lawmakers want to avoid an "October surprise" that could sway the November presidential election, the investigation's managers said.

Full story

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. FreeNLovIt

Wesley,

Nobody is perfect, but we want change and need change. We need the lesser of the two evils. It aint McCain with 26 years in Congress.

You cant teach an old dog new tricks, is what my teacher used to tell me.

September 5, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  2. Tom in Delaware

Sarah Palin is the Grim Reaper of the Liberal Left perfectly capable of ripping the living flesh down to the bare bones of Barack Obama and sending him back to the community center to organize diversity council with his old pal William Ayers.

New addition to those society needs to be instructed to accept: Terrorists

Love to read the fear and anger of the Children of the Corn who support Barack Obama.

39 million watched the McCain speech last night,

Be afraid....be very afraid.

September 5, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  3. non black nonwhite

hey all,

Please be aware the GOPs are going to try to help cover up this story and bully people to say that Palin is innocent. The GOPS act a lot like Capone. Be aware that the story will come out making Palin look as if she is the innocent woman in all this and she was tricked by sneaky men like her brother-inlaw. After all, the GOPS way of winning this election is to use Sexism and divert americans attention from the real issues.

September 5, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  4. sandra

why not let sara palin be interview,what is she hiding and why do she want the state personnel board to handled it,she must got something to hide or is it so she can tell them what to do and give her a clean bill,that she did not misused her power,every thing she get she desever,because she is so mean and nasty,what gives her the right to say what women can and can't do.To me palin and McCain are not on the same page,because everything she's against he's for it,now how can you run a country not coming together on anything,she going down,I saw some pictures of her when all she did was party and drink, with her guns. PETERSBURG,VA.

September 5, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  5. Mike

Palin is the epitome of a wolf in sheeps clothing! She has NO experience and is yet the newest gimmick in the Republican attack Karl Rove play book. She is Dick Cheney is a pants suit. Any supporter of Hillary's that votes for Palin must be truly asleep at the wheel. I hope Hillary publically sets Palin straight. The audacity of Palin to essentially state, she is a woman and Hillary is a woman, therefore, women, I am your choice. I hope Hillary does a national speech in which she compares her positions to Palins and share her thoughts on Palin's resume and lack of accomplishments. McSame and his cronies stooped to new lows. Whose ever heard of not letting a VP candidate meet with the press? I guess it is a view of the future if McBush is elected, the further evisceration of the First Amendment. People, wake up, look behind the pretty packaging and realize voting for McSame and Palin would be four more years of Bush/Cheney . . . and you'd only have yourselves to blame.

September 5, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  6. republicans hate america

They will not find anything on Palin because she is now protected by the RNC machine and they will ruin whose ever life is witness to her conviction so therefore the investigation is botched already. Just do not vote for this ticket and all this horror goes away.

September 5, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  7. Janelle

Yes, Wooten said that Palin becoming vice president would be good for Alaska–I just think he meant that because then she would be LEAVING Alaska. LOL

September 5, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  8. No Way No How

Val from MA
    Democracts, YOU SHOULD BE SCARED, and it shows.

You know what Val, I am scared, but not of that unqualified nobody from Alaska. I am scared of what is happening to this country courtesy of the idiots that you have supported, and continue to support
    -have put this country in debt to the point where every one of us owe $31,000 and climbing. Tell your kids that
    -have allowed companies to leave this country and unemployment
    is over 6%
    -underemployment at over 10% -highest in 14 years
    -banks are failing for the first time since the depression.
    -we are mired in two wars with no plans how to get out
    -People are losing their homes at record rates
    -Energy and food prices are through the roof
    -Health care costs are out of reach for millions and the insurance and drug companies are making a killing (literally)

the best this country can do is a has been beauty queen, who left a town of 7000 in debt, and less then 2 years experience as governor of 600,000 people, and an old man who can offer nothing other than 30 year old war stories,? McCain equals more of the same

Wake up people

September 5, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. Obama Now More Than Ever

The investigation of Palin should be increased quickly so we have all the facts before the election. I am tired of the Republican spin and Sarah trying to play like she is a victim of the media. She knew she was under investigation when accepted the nomination. Did she think America would just ignore it? So far, all we have seen of her is a bitter, hateful, spiteful, and disgraceful speech at the Republican convention. It was so nasty that it actually caused a one-day record of donations to the Obama campaign. I want to know who Palin is, what her character is, and whether or not she can be trusted. So far, I am not getting very good feelings about her. She has a lot of personal problems, family problems, and governing problems that seem serious enough to disqualify her as a valid candidate for VP on anybody's ticket. If she is going to hide from the media and play victim it only makes me more suspicious of her. It seems she has alot she wants to keep us from knowing. If she can;t take the media heat knowing what her issues with the public would be, then she should have never accepted the nomination. Candidates are usually well vetted and obviously she was not. She is appearing to be a huge liability to McCain. Her arrogance and condenscending nature will not play well among Americans. We have had our fill of smug and corrupt Republicans and it appears she is another one. She has turned me off completely. My vote is going to Obama and Biden and so will my campaign contributions.

September 5, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. Patrick, Fairfield, CA

After reading some of the things that this guy has been accused of and has admitted to, I don't blame Palin for trying to get him fired if that is the case. He tasered an 11 year old kid and illegally shot a wildlife animal. This man is supposed to protect, serve, and enforce the law – but he seems to not want to follow it himself.

If you see Mike Wooten walking down your streets, Alaskan natives, turn and run – oh wait a second, don't run, walk away slooooowy, because you might get tasered!

This man is bad news and should be anything but a police officer. How about a Politician?

Lastly: What's up with his head?

September 5, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  11. Richard

People try to criticize her for dodging and avoiding all those questions that the whining Americans have about abuse of power in regards to TROOPER GATE and her cronies, including her illegal fishing, moose shooting, family. See, it’s obvious that they needed to use all that time to craft and polish her speech to do what McCain was to scared to do; attack with non-issues and mockery a popular historic black man’s run for the white house and without McCain himself being stuck with the criticism……only a token women could pull this of. I loved the part when she said that she would be an advocate for special needs children. It makes perfect sense, I’m sure we wouldn’t want her having to pay for her child’s special needs out of her pocket like all those ordinary people did when she cut funding for kids with special needs by 62%. The best part of all this is that Alaska is an oil state and her family owns, her husband works for an oil company, and her family owns a gas station. It’ll be like George bush never left the White House! Yeaaaaa!

JOHN MCAIN…….MORE OF THE SAME!!!

Independent voter

September 5, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  12. FreeNLovIt

Roger from CA,

Whatever the circumstance, when you cheat your way in, and you dont have the qualifications, your true color will show. The world will know how dumb you are and how un-equipped you are in handling the economy and wars.

Do you feel gloriously blessed this past eight years? Who was in control? I cant believe we're messed up and people still want to vote for the same party. We are unbelievably amazingly stupid.

September 5, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  13. Thompson Forbes

The news media is really pushing everything they can to get Sarah Palin discredited. It is obvious to everyone. CNN and the liberal news media, as well as Oprah are trying their best to get Obama elected as president. I am disgusted with how the news media has presented themselves. I am registered as an independent and was not motivate very much in regards to the presidential election. Now that I see what is happening to Sarah Pilan, I am as motivated as I ever was when it comes to the presidential election. I have not been this motivated since Ronald Reagan ran for president in the 80's. I am voting for John McCain and Sarah Pilan. As far as I am concerned, both are superior to Obama.

September 5, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  14. fire fighters for obama

This woman from Alaska and the abuse of power investigation sounds a lot like Cheney, Rove and Libby.
    We not only have McBush but also PaCheney.

She also fired her Police chief when disagreed with her that the closing time for bars should be changed from 5:00 A.M to 2:OO A.M. She said leave it 5:00A.M. I wander how many alcohalics there are in that town

September 5, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  15. Gracie

I'm starting to get this feeling that if anyone goes against the GREAT and ALMIGHTY Palin family they get SWIFT BOATED???

I'm SURE there are Alaska residents that KNOW the TRUTHS behind this clan. They are NOT who they seem in front of the cameras.

I think there is MORE to this family than meets our eyes. Something is just NOT "jiving" with this family.

YOU know when you get this feeling in your "gut" but you aren't sure what it means, but you KNOW it's there?

There is something very sinister about the Palin family and I don't think it's all good either. I think there are a few "dark secrets" that the Palin family is trying to keep hidden.

September 5, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  16. non black nonwhite

Hey Hillary Supporters- i am starting to really appreciate Hillary now, thanks to the bad image Palin is representing for Women in america.

America- don't vote for this phony lady she is taking women's rights back a whole century.

Go REAL WOMEN OF USA- Hillary, Napilitiano, Sebelius, McCaskill and Michelle!!!

September 5, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. chippyarm

Baed on the statement that sye don't want an October surprise already says that she will not be found responsible for anything. Just because she is on the VP ticket doesn't mean she should have any manipulation on the part of legal proceedings. This one smell like a rat.

September 5, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  18. Mark - California

Wondering who was behind moving it up and getting it out of the way because we "short attention span" Americans will forget it by the end of that week. Just by doing research myself not taking any sound bites from either campaign. There is something wrong there, something seriously wrong.

September 5, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  19. Matt Simpson

Wow, the Obama loving lefties here are pretty crazy. I all I see is spewing of lies and hatred. You don't really seem to have any answers for the problems we face together as a country. And now you have Sarah Palin as a target. It is sad to see all the name calling and pronouncement of guilt before the evidence all comes out. And when you don't have anything else, blame it on Bush. Of course he is the most evil person on the planet because the media has been proclaiming that over and over, so it must be true, right? We are in a very pathetic situation if our country is made up of so many ignorant people who believe everything the media tells them and will support a candidate who has no real experience and is all show and no substance. Go back to watching American Idol and your reality TV shows, I hope you forget to show up at the polls in November.

September 5, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  20. Peter (CA)

Forbes-

You have to stop drinking their Kool-Aid. The "liberal" news media does not exist. The news media is too weak-chinned.

The Republicans got nothing to fight with and they picked a bad #2. So, their plan is to blame the media and the Democrats for all of their mistakes. Sarah Palin is wrong for this country, the sooner we all get it the better.

September 5, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  21. from ohio

Sarah Pa(l)in: You are an absolute pain and shame for this country!

Shame on you, Mc Caine, trying to insult American's intelligence!

you truly deserve each other: McShame + Pain.

You lost my vote as a woman independent and I donated my money to OBAMA for the first time in my life in any political pary, since I am afraid this country finally going into downfall.
    such a nasty team:

GO OBAMA!!!!

September 5, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  22. pam Eugene OR

CNN how do you decide which articles get 60 posts abd which get 600. I would really like to know.

September 5, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  23. Mark - California

To Roger trying reading the article before you post. This is about the investigation into Palins abuse of power, not about any speech Obama or McCain gave. Just like my mom always said people only hear what they want to hear.

September 5, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  24. Trysh, Los Angeles

Gawd!! These people are HICKS!

It's like the Clampetts go to Washington!

September 5, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  25. ZANE

i wouldn't beleive a word the "pitbull" had to say....she covers up everything with lipstick!!!
    GO OBAMA!