September 5th, 2008

Palin trooper probe moved up 3 weeks

Alaska State Trooper Mike Wooten is Palin's ex-brother-in-law.
Alaska State Trooper Mike Wooten is Palin's ex-brother-in-law.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) - Alaska lawmakers Friday moved up their deadline for finishing an investigation into Gov. Sarah Palin's firing of the state's public safety commissioner and warned they will begin issuing subpoenas for witnesses next week.

Related: Trooper in Palin probe tells his side

The report into Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan's dismissal had been scheduled for October 31. But now that Palin is the Republican nominee for vice president, lawmakers want to avoid an "October surprise" that could sway the November presidential election, the investigation's managers said.

Full story

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Roy E Lee

Due to CNN being so one sided in view of the election, pushing for the one side against the other, I will never watch it again.
    YOU CAN'T be trusted to give the news then let the public make up their own minds. YOUR OPINIONS ARE NOT NEWS....
    I'M a 74 year old Texan that can make up his own mind with out help from you...
    Lou Dobbs is the only one on your shoe that is worth watching
    Roy

September 5, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  2. Sarah Supporter

Love how the liberal bloggers have all been told to blog blog blog how much they now all of a sudden LOVE Hillary......PEOPLE WHO ACTUAL VOTE AND DECIDE ELECTIONS DON'T BLOG!!!!!!! They WORK for a living. GET IT?

September 5, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  3. Logan - FTL

To Thompson Forbes:

Whay hypocracy! When the media ran with the stories concerning Obama’s supposed Muslim connections, the attacks on Senator John Kerry over his military service, or the numerous attacks on Senator Hillary Clinton, I didn’t hear you complain much. How dare we question a religious zealot like Governor Palin? She is off limits because she is a woman, but just a few months ago, she accused Hillary Clinton of playing the sexist card when the heat got turned up. Now that she is feeling the same heat, it is not fair.

Talk about double standards. I love how standards only apply to the “other’s” candidate, not your own. For example, if a democrat’s 17 year old daughter got pregnant, we would have to hear all about the immorality of the liberals, but on the other hand, when it is a right-wing, religious, zealot’s kid, it makes them more human. Again, what hypocrisy!

September 5, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  4. helen

The Reupublicans have already put the pressure of those in charge of this investigation. Had they not, then McCain would not have chosen Palin as his running mate.

The unfortunate part is that I believe Palin allow her personal feeling interfer with has professional responsibilities.

The commissioner will be the only one paying for Palin behavior. The smirk on this woman's face tells a history of stories that aren't pretty.

The sad part is her speech is being torn apart and it seem that CNN and her reps out in Alaska are saying Palin stretched the truth. (white america's way of saying she lied.) BUT HAD THAT BEEN OBAMA....it would have been god everything except a child of god.

September 5, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  5. Michael Lasala

SHE ABUSES HER POWER.. Put her in jail.. her nasty baracuda/ pitbull personality is going to get it

September 5, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  6. Earl

The political people are getting ready to squash anything that is

against McPlain.....She has so much to hide and now she's sent the

big guns to Alaska to pay HUSH money to anyone that might have

something to say negative against McPlain....I SMELL ROVE...HMMMM

September 5, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  7. Ellie

Palin has shown she can compete against "any good old boy" with her personality. For that she's called a "barracuda or pitbull." Then what do you call the guysy who say and do the same thing? She gets reemed for making sarcastic remarks but does ANYONE remember the remarks made by Obama and Clinton during the primaries??????? Obama has said he was the candidate for change and then he chooses Biden, what is up with that?? That is no change. I am an independent, college educated woman who up until that choice, was favoring Obama. Not anymore. I prefer the outsider who will not be intimadated by the "good old boys." And, where does Obama have more experience then Palin?

September 5, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  8. jason

dont be afraid get that crook or else she will get you

September 5, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  9. Hilary B

Sarah "do it my way or you're fired" Palin. Talk about reform.

September 5, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  10. Fear

And I thought Hillary had a annoying voice?

September 5, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  11. Redphilly

It is too bad McCain can't see how bad a pick she was. It's because, again, he has used poor judgement.

September 5, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  12. Enough!!!

Only in racist butt America is this kind of shiggity possible. If it were Michelle Obama, they would have no mercy and she would be thrown under the bench

September 5, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  13. Jean

Hello? Who's running for President on the Republican ticket? McCain or Palin? So far I have not heard a word from either one of them on any issues; what I do hear is personal slams against the Democratic ticket. And is it just me or did the RNP make anyone else feel that if you are not on their side then you are UnAmerican? I love this country no matter who I vote for. I love watching CNN, but lets stop focusing on the "Barracuda" (which is what they want) and focus on facts and issues of the two nominees for President of these United States. I will not be bullied by fear I will vote for change and in order to do that I need to hear what each side has planned for our future. By the way Sarah, my 4 yr old grandson is autistic, and I feel he is just as important as children with downs syndrome.

September 5, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  14. do your homework

I personally WANT TO KNOW HOW ANYONE democrats, republicans or independents could support a person in any position of power let alone Vice President of United States of America that supports succession from the U.S. that would be Sarah Palin.

Don’t take my word for it look it up.

September 5, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  15. Amy from MI

Roger, Roger, Roger. I'm afraid you are the one who needs to get informed. McCain voted with Bush 90% of the time-what makes you believe he is going to change his tune now? He has voted against wind and biofuels-why is he going to change now? Voting for McCain is voting for 4 more years of the same Republican policies that are not working for the American people. And let's face it, he blew the most important job of the entire campaign-choosing a qualified running mate. There are thousands of people who are more qualified than Palin, a woman who took on a mayoral job in a town of 5000 with 0 debt, and left it 22 million in debt! She fires anyone who doesn't agree with her. She is not the woman who will negotiate with Dems or move this country forward.

September 5, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  16. Colo Sprgs, CO

We the jury, find the defendant, GUILTY! Sentencing will commence next week.

September 5, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  17. Sammy

So long as the investigation isnt compromised then moving it up is the right thing to do. Actually for Obama it might be a good thing. Cynical as this is the media will have more time to do its stories on the investigation itself and the result. However it really isnt all that big a deal. Great comment today: Going after Palin is checkers. Going after McCain is chess.

September 5, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  18. Madsal

CNN, I blogged 3 hours ago, but you still have it sitting for moderation while there have been many, many since me. What seems to be the deal? Be fair to all, ok?

September 5, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  19. An Independent

I'm pretty sure I know what this means. The Republican investigators don't really like her which is why they were willing to investigate someone from their own party, but now that she's part of the national Republican ticket, either they don't want to damage their parties chances of winning and/or they've been threatened by national Republicans (probably both) to clear her promptly or else lose federal funding their pet projects.

I think there's no doubt now that they're going to clear her – for the good of the party, not necessarily because she didn't do anything wrong.

September 5, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  20. Please Listen

I do not understand how a person no a mother could put her own son and other soliders by saying on national TV when he is going to Iraq. Did she not just put her son in harms way but everyone that is going with him in danger. Her jugement is dangerous.

To the believers(GOP and people that are closet racist) she tells no lies but She lies about the plane she lies about her bridge she lies about her bother in law she lies about taking ear marks she lies No she Hides her being a grandmother in four more months she even cut taxes on a progam for speacial needs children in her home state. She lies that she is going to help the speacial needs children she lies that she has experience she is what a pawn tto win the whitehouse for GOP and people that are closet racist.

So look you can vote for McCain and Palin that is what you will get lies. Palin can do that very well lie she has my vote on this for being the best liar in which the where all told in less than a week.

September 5, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  21. Dannie

Roger, there's really nothing to fear. Sarah Palin was McCain's lifeline for this presidential election. To be perfectly honest, I believe she was picked simply because she was a woman in the governor's seat who is very attractive. So far her gift of gab has cast a spell of hope on small town America, which makes up a good voter turnout population. I hope McCain plays this political game of chess with strategy. With Palin as his running mate for the presidency, the white queen has the black king in check.

September 5, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  22. Kim

Trooper aside. The Palins are linked to a Radical anti American Alaska secessionist group. Palin shows herself as the wonderfull mother of a special needs child but in truth cut sixty two million dollars in funds for special needs children. She reads well from a prepared script on a teleprompter but struggled through five different colleges in six years to eek out a journalism degree. She tries to force her pentecostal religion into politics like attempting to ban books from the local library when she was Mayor of Moose Turd Alaska. Palin lied and said she sold the Governors Jet for a profit when in fact she took a substantial loss ,she makes good window dressing but is really a mediocre politician.

September 5, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  23. RJ

McCain finally lost it. She was not even vetted. Hopefully she will see some jail time, and McCain will have to pick boring Romney.

September 5, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  24. THE TRUTH

I WAS AN OFFICER BEFORE AND I BELIEVE THIS GUY SO FAR. SARAH, SEEMS TO BE A LIAR AND I DON'T BELIEVE HER SO FAR. SHE APPEARS TO BE A BU__ HOLE, SMART A__ OR WHATEVER. LOL. THE WAYS THINGS ARE GOING FOR HER. I BET SHE WANT BE ON THE TICKET NOVEMBER THE 3RD. LOL

September 5, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  25. Anna

All I know is, I waited 20 years as a loyal liberal for the Democrats to take on and defeat corruption in the GOP.

To think a newbie Republican Governor would make my dream come true! And a woman at that! YEE HA!

Not to worry, McCain fans....

Any and all who have been around know how CONSERVATIVE Alaska really is.
    YOU think they are going to risk an OBAMA presidency over this?

Oh, sure, someone got their ego rubbed the wrong way...but this will blow over, I am certain.

September 5, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |